What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are we buying for 2021 onwards

jaseg

Juniors
Fusitua is the main one I think is both reasonable to let go (from our perspective) and of value to the Storm (given that they've lost Vunivalu and looks like JAC will go next year).

I wouldn't consider moving Katoa.

JJ

Immortal
Fusitua is the main one I think is both reasonable to let go (from our perspective) and of value to the Storm (given that they've lost Vunivalu and looks like JAC will go next year).

I wouldn't consider moving Katoa.
Bang on this reckon

good upside and no loss atm

Matua

Bench
the shit thing about losing Fus is you know whoever buys him will stick him outside a gun centre and he’ll be scoring tries left right and centre
Like when he was outside Hiku?

It's a pity Hiku can't feed Fus and Ken - and tackle slightly better.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Just having a sneaky look towards the end of 2021, and there's not too much on the market that will improve our team imo.

I feel hooker and half are our two key areas we're looking for upgrades, I can really only see Jarome Hughes, Brandon Smith, Shaun Johnson and to a lesser extent, Connor Watson (hooker only) as available options that will improve our team.

With players like Jazz, Lawton, Nikorima (player option), and a few others coming off contract we've got a bit of wiggle room in the cap. Would love to see SJ come back at the expense of Nikorima, and a play for Brandon Smith, would potentially catapult us into top 4 contention imo.

Ahh all pipeline dreams, but still fun to think about moving forward. More than likely we just upgrade a few players and make a play for bigger names off contract at the end of 2022

JJ

Immortal
TBH I think Johnson going to always be one of those "what if" guys... just never seems to click for him or the team he's in... not saying it's his fault

Big Marn

Juniors
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...uit-kane-evans-has-lofty-nrl-premiership-goal

Having departed Parramatta because he was told he'd remain a bench player, new Warriors prop Kane Evans says he can't wait to team up with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck again, and vowed to retire if the New Zealand club wins the premiership.

Evans is one of several high-profile signings for the Warriors alongside fellow recruits Addin Fonua-Blake, Ben Murdoch-Masila and Jack Murchie in an impressive forward pack.

Evans spent three seasons at the Eels. He labelled his first year out west as "s...", then finished last season coming off the interchange behind starting props Reagan Campbell-Gillard and Junior Paulo.

Like the Warriors, the Eels tabled Evans a two-year deal, but coach Brad Arthur made it clear he would struggle to toss Campbell-Gillard and Paulo from the run-on side.

Evans, one of the tallest players in the game at 199cm, appreciated Arthur's honesty but was happy to back himself and push for a potential starting role at the Warriors, a team he believes can play finals football.

"I could have stayed at Parra, I learnt a lot of good lessons there and I learnt a lot of hard lessons," Evans told the Sydney Morning Herald.

"They told me if I did re-sign I'd be fighting for a bench spot. I haven't been told what my role will be here [at the Warriors]. But when you know you'll only be a bench player or a third-string prop ... when you know you're not a chance [to start] and you're told in black and white, you don't want to hang around being third best.

"'Reg' [Campbell-Gillard] and Junior are unbelievable, they're still so young and their best years are ahead of them. They're at the top of their game right now.

"I respect Parramatta and I respect Brad. There's no bull...t with Brad and he tells you how it is.

"But when I got this opportunity to play with these lads I took it. We'll be a top-eight team next year. If the Warriors are a stock, they're the one to jump on because they're about to rise."

Evans played with Tuivasa-Sheck at the Roosters and said he had a Sonny Bill Williams-like impact on teammates. It's a huge rap for a fellow Kiwi who is becoming just as adored by the locals on the other side of the Tasman.

"I wanted to play with 'Rog' [Tuivasa-Scheck] again, and I know he will make me a better player and better person," Evans said.

"I played my best footy with him back in the day. Obviously he leads by example every game, and that was one of the driving forces for me to come.

"He reminds me of Sonny Bill when he came to the Roosters. He's exactly like that with the way he leads by example – he's someone you want to play for and not let down. If you do let him down, you go home dirty with yourself."

Evans, who turns 29 next month, has said he will walk away if he wins some silverware. He has played seven seasons and featured in five finals campaigns.

"My goal is to win a comp, and if we win a comp with the Warriors I'll retire," said Evans, who added he wanted to play for Fiji at next year's World Cup.

Evans joined the Australia-based Warriors for the final two weeks of training before Christmas and will meet some of his teammates for the first time on January 3, when the entire squad gathers in Tamworth to resume preparations.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Interesting read. Currently behind AFB and LAM (maybe BMM depending on how we use him), might light a fire under him and will come out pumped.

I'm looking forward to our boys getting stuck in to the niggle and fire. AFB, Evans, Jazz and BMM to absolutely bully some forward packs!

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Merry Christmas everyone

Brown is talking Egan up as an 80 min hooker now that Lawton is out for the year.

I wonder who the big winner for us will be now?
Players like Murchie/Ale/Bunty and Curran all come into contention to take that last spot on the bench and make it their own

SmashEmBro

Juniors
So, we’re pretty set for 2021, however with the terrible news of RTS leaving, it will be interesting to see what we’re going to look like next year.

Kodi has a player option for next year, however if he leaves, we’ll have 1.5 million to plug two significant gaps in our roster.

I think a lot depends on CHT and how he goes this year. Our halves went pretty decent for the last 8-10 games of last year, however if we don’t make the finals or if CHT doesn’t develop, I think we’re going to have to find someone else.

While RTS has been one of my favourites, I think he’s been under-utilised at the Warriors. The first few years he was making breaks from
everywhere, and while he still made us a tonne of meters the last few years, I felt like a lot of teams figured out how to blunt his impact on a game last year (less tries, try assists, line breaks and tackle busts than his last 3 years). Makes me wonder if it wouldn’t be the biggest loss for the Warriors moving forward..

who are we targeting for 2022 and beyond?

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Just had a quick look at the list of off contract players, and here’s some of the players that I think we would be looking at:

Jerome Hughes
Brandon Smith
Mitch Moses (player option for 2023, but the owner has come out and said how much he loves him)
Connor Watson (still possible pet project for the coach?)
Matt Dufty (previously signed for Warriors then pulled out)
Tex Hoy (would be a great signing IMO, stuck behind Ponga, has history with Brown)
Brandon Burns (great player when not injured)

I can’t see us signing too many forwards, we should be looking at retaining the good ones we have.

Scott

Bench
Just had a quick look at the list of off contract players, and here’s some of the players that I think we would be looking at:

Jerome Hughes
Brandon Smith
Mitch Moses (player option for 2023, but the owner has come out and said how much he loves him)
Connor Watson (still possible pet project for the coach?)
Matt Dufty (previously signed for Warriors then pulled out)
Tex Hoy (would be a great signing IMO, stuck behind Ponga, has history with Brown)
Brandon Burns (great player when not injured)

I can’t see us signing too many forwards, we should be looking at retaining the good ones we have.

Looks like we may also be lining up Scott Drinkwater.

Meth

Staff member
Glad we don't have interest in Folau. I sympathise with the fact that he is effectively blacklisted for beliefs when there are plenty who have the same beliefs and there are some who have actually done despicable things and are fine to play.

But from a football point of view, an employment point of view and a marketing point of view, the bloke is toxic. No thanks.

Matua

Bench
Glad we don't have interest in Folau. I sympathise with the fact that he is effectively blacklisted for beliefs when there are plenty who have the same beliefs and there are some who have actually done despicable things and are fine to play.

But from a football point of view, an employment point of view and a marketing point of view, the bloke is toxic. No thanks.
He blacklisted himself, zero sympathy for that, he could have still had his beliefs and not been blacklisted, but, he went out of his way to get himself in the situation he finds himself in.

Kind of surprised the Warriors didn't make a play for him considering how much baggage he has, that seems to be the current target criteria. Plus, he's not a NZer which is their other criteria.

As for hooker, Egan better become Cameron Smith 2.0 with the way the Warriors are promoting and defending him. Didn't see much on the field from him last year to have the faith the Warriors are putting in him.

JJ

Immortal

Me neither, but I do find it interesting that the likes of JDB, Lodge, Packer et al are preferable to someone who openly shares his religious beliefs...

more surprised by Smith, although I’m in the minority that likes Egan... Smith is a terrific forward whether he plays 9 or not

Latest posts