What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Jets

flippikat

Bench
Yeah it's not bad, it won't work to well on a jersey though.

And maybe somebody can convince them to drop the navy. I get it, orange and blue go together well, but almost every team in the league has blue in their colour scheme.

Maybe go with racing green or military green instead, that would fit the theme and be a nice nod back to Ipswich, but orange and green can be hard to pull off.
Maybe go grey, but grey might be getting a little to close to the Tigers.

I'd like to see them be bold with the jersey and use that skyline as a spilt in the jersey as well, so blue (or whatever) on top and orange on the bottom with that skyline as the split. It'd be daring, but it'd be unique, and I reckon it'd look pretty cool if done right.

I think the "Concept Lab" Facebook page had a good stab at the bid colours with this go at a Bombers jersey.

Note: I'm not convinced on the design, but the colours show promise.. maybe with silver in the mix too (especially for a silver-dominated away jersey)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1612693938536.jpg
    FB_IMG_1612693938536.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 14

jim_57

Staff member
Hornets would be a good compromise between Jets & Bombers if Brisbane Jets is going to cause issues.

Colours there are a lot of options but surely they keep some form of green for the Ipswich part of the bid. Green and Orange would be a bold choice but totally unique if they could pull it off.

The Great Dane

First Grade
That could work, I would just ditch orange and blue. I would like to see some combination of Red, Black and silver. Or perhaps military green and black.
They seem to have their hearts set on orange though, and that probably isn't a bad thing either because orange is under represented in the league.

If we could just convince them to give up on the blue it'd be alright I reckon.

The Great Dane

First Grade
problem is Suncorp isn’t in spitting distance if dolphins intend to represent the Moreton bay region, it’s a hell of a long way away. It’s why I’d put them last of the three, the people they want to support them are 90mins plus away from the only stadium fit to host nrl in Brisbane region
Well you've pretty much just described why the Dolphins are a terrible idea and shouldn't get the license.

However if you were going to bring them into the league your best bet to make it work would be to totally rebrand them and play out of Suncorp, i.e. copy the Raiders model. Which is what I was trying to get at before.

BTW, the Jets will have similar problems if they aren't smart about their brand.

The Great Dane

First Grade
That’s where you’ve missed the point a bit lately, Red. The bid is meant to appeal to Greater Brisbane, not only the Northern Corridor. They won’t be “Redcliffe”. Plus, 90 minutes is a huge exaggeration, Petrie Station to Roma street is just under 45 minutes by train. And if you knew the area you would know that Petrie is smack bang in the middle of Moreton Bay Council.
You know how the Roosters, Bulldogs, and Tigers, can change their name to 'Sydney' but it doesn't change the fact that they don't really represent all of Sydney, well it's the same with the Dolphins.

They can change their name to the Brisbane/Morton Bay/North Brisbane/whatever Dolphins, but if they are still the Dolphins running out in red and white then everybody will see them for what they are, Brisbane in name only, and it will take generations to change that attitude. Generations we can't afford to wait.

If they are going to appeal to a broader audience than just Redcliffe in any real numbers then they are going to have to make sacrifices, just like the Queanbeyan Blues had to sacrifice their brand, and eventually home ground, to appeal to Canberra and the region more broadly.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I think the "Concept Lab" Facebook page had a good stab at the bid colours with this go at a Bombers jersey.

Note: I'm not convinced on the design, but the colours show promise.. maybe with silver in the mix too (especially for a silver-dominated away jersey)
It still uses blue though, and blue is the only colour that should be avoided if possible.

Swap that blue with orange and you've got some potential.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Hornets would be a good compromise between Jets & Bombers if Brisbane Jets is going to cause issues.

Colours there are a lot of options but surely they keep some form of green for the Ipswich part of the bid. Green and Orange would be a bold choice but totally unique if they could pull it off.
If they go with Hornets then surely they go with yellow, black, and maybe silver/grey, as the colours.

Hornets/Super Hornets would be a great brand for them btw. It fits perfectly with both groups aviation theme and it fits with Brisbane as well considering that the RAAF had a bunch of Super Hornets in Brisbane.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
If they go with Hornets then surely they go with yellow, black, and maybe silver/grey, as the colours.

Hornets/Super Hornets would be a great brand for them btw. It fits perfectly with both groups aviation theme and it fits with Brisbane as well considering that the RAAF had a bunch of Super Hornets in Brisbane.

Yeh I think I first read it on here years ago regarding a potential name for the Ipswich bid and it's remained my favourite to this day.

Yellow & Black is a great colour combo so I wouldn't be against it. Doesn't have either of the Jets or Bombers colours but no big deal, perhaps that's what they should be going for anyway. The 'Hornet' would be be the link to Ipswich (RAAF) plus I imagine they'll be based there.

In saying that the most famous Hornets brand (Charlotte) based on the animal not the jet is Teal, Purple & Gray so not unheard of.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well you've pretty much just described why the Dolphins are a terrible idea and shouldn't get the license.

However if you were going to bring them into the league your best bet to make it work would be to totally rebrand them and play out of Suncorp, i.e. copy the Raiders model. Which is what I was trying to get at before.

BTW, the Jets will have similar problems if they aren't smart about their brand.

truebut I get the sense with the smarts of the bombers bid team on board they will go for a city name and target the region from Suncorp to ipswich. Brisbane Jets would do that. What I’ve heard of dolphins so far it’s all about Moreton bat region and broncos have a strong foothold on the city north region by all accounts?

as for colours I really hope they go green and silver. Good reason why hardly anyone uses orange as a sports brand colour!

flippikat

Bench
as for colours I really hope they go green and silver. Good reason why hardly anyone uses orange as a sports brand colour!

I like the idea of green and silver, but two colours is kinda limiting in terms of merchandising etc.. even the Bulldogs and Dragons have been incorporating black (or grey) more in their palatte these days.

Add a third colour to the green & silver - either black or blue would work - just gives it that extra dimension. I think green and orange just wouldn't work.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
East Coast Dolphins = Aztec Gold, Red and Silver
Western City Jets = Green, Silver, trim of Gold (Ipswich colors)

Too many teams have White aswell as Blue, their away colors need to be as important as their home kit, making a generic white away annoys me, like the wests tigers, penrith and storm have done for so many years, finally this year they've embraced their away as a signature color unique to the comp.
Storm tho i haven't seen their away, but the Purple they've leaned into has been great to see, aswell as Penrith with Pink, and Tigers who should be atleast Orange before Black

MugaB

Coach
Ipswich’s traditional colours are green and white, yellow is a ring-in extra colour arguably for the reasons stated about third colours
Yep its also prominent of their logo too as the two major colors, with the trim of yellow, im saying they should sub out the white for a Silver/Grey, as every team has freaking white and a more unique combo of colors would better serve their brand than either blue or white in a comp that dominates those colors

Jamberoo

Juniors
Yeh I think I first read it on here years ago regarding a potential name for the Ipswich bid and it's remained my favourite to this day.

Yellow & Black is a great colour combo so I wouldn't be against it. Doesn't have either of the Jets or Bombers colours but no big deal, perhaps that's what they should be going for anyway. The 'Hornet' would be be the link to Ipswich (RAAF) plus I imagine they'll be based there.

In saying that the most famous Hornets brand (Charlotte) based on the animal not the jet is Teal, Purple & Gray so not unheard of.
Brisbane's Apsley Hornets (brown and gold) will be part of the new VFL East Coast League which includes teams in QLD, NSW & Vic, so they would probably have grounds to object. All the good names are taken.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Brisbane's Apsley Hornets (brown and gold) will be part of the new VFL East Coast League which includes teams in QLD, NSW & Vic, so they would probably have grounds to object. All the good names are taken.
And they'd almost certainly lose that objection.

They have a literal hornet as their mascot, not a plane, so it'd be hard to argue that people will confuse the two brands, and it'd also be pretty hard to argue that both clubs are competing in the same market when one is a semi-professional lower grade team that doesn't really exist as a commercial entity.

Jamberoo

Juniors
And they'd almost certainly lose that objection.

They have a literal hornet as their mascot, not a plane, so it'd be hard to argue that people will confuse the two brands, and it'd also be pretty hard to argue that both clubs are competing in the same market when one is a semi-professional lower grade team that doesn't really exist as a commercial entity.
Yes, they may well lose, but not worth the fight for an NRL expansion bid. Come up with something new.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Of course they wouldn't have to go with yellow and black, they could go with whatever colours they like, but considering that yellow and black is one of the best colour schemes in world sport, and isn't represented in the NRL at all, they'd be mad to pass on taking it up.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yes, they may well lose, but not worth the fight for an NRL expansion bid. Come up with something new.
Naming themselves after the F/A-18F is new. In fact I can't think of any other major sports team that is named after a specific type of fighter jet that was based in the teams home city.

I also struggle to see how you could rationally argue that people are going to confuse the above with a knockoff Hawthorn brand that isn't even really competing in the pro-sports market.

Also you don't even know if there would be a fight, so why are you trying to run away from a fight that may not even happen?