What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wrestling Podcasts

bileduct

Coach
I've been listening to a lot of the Grilling JR podcasts lately... They are much better than the Bruce Prichard ones. JR seems to have a better memory of events and knows the wrestlers better than Bruce does.

JR also doesn’t give a shit if you don’t agree with him, it’s his opinion and memories. Same with Bischoff. Shiovane cares to a point, same with Anderson. Prichard has his memories, but since he’s office it is from a different angle to how the newsletters reported and so is controversial to fans.

bileduct

Coach
JR also doesn’t give a shit if you don’t agree with him, it’s his opinion and memories. Same with Bischoff. Shiovane cares to a point, same with Anderson. Prichard has his memories, but since he’s office it is from a different angle to how the newsletters reported and so is controversial to fans.
I think I listened to my last episode of Something to Wrestle (RR 1991) today... Bruce was f**king insufferable.

The biggest problem I have with the show is the angle you mentioned about the newsletter or "dirt sheets", where they'll review a PPV and Conrad will read what Dave Meltzer wrote about it and then Bruce will get all apoplectic over it. If Meltzer has written some bullshit then I am happy for Bruce to correct him, but often Bruce just has a f**king tantrum over it. In the latest episode he lost his shit over Meltzer implying that Ultimate Warrior was on steroids which is quite possibly the least controversial thing you could have said about him.

I dunno, I thought Bruce was funny at first, but after a while I realised he doesn't really have a lot to say. A lot of his responses are just Dusty Rhodes or Macho Man impersonations, singing the words to theme songs or generally just f**king around followed by long periods of silence from Conrad. I get that Bruce is busy back in the office these days, but his level of professionalism on these podcasts is just non-existent.

Conrad himself on Grilling JR compared to Something to Wrestle is like night and day. With JR it's a free flowing and interesting conversation between the two. With Bruce you can sense Conrad getting frustrated with how incredibly childish Bruce gets at times.

mackdadday

Juniors
I think I listened to my last episode of Something to Wrestle (RR 1991) today... Bruce was f**king insufferable.

The biggest problem I have with the show is the angle you mentioned about the newsletter or "dirt sheets", where they'll review a PPV and Conrad will read what Dave Meltzer wrote about it and then Bruce will get all apoplectic over it. If Meltzer has written some bullshit then I am happy for Bruce to correct him, but often Bruce just has a f**king tantrum over it. In the latest episode he lost his shit over Meltzer implying that Ultimate Warrior was on steroids which is quite possibly the least controversial thing you could have said about him.

I dunno, I thought Bruce was funny at first, but after a while I realised he doesn't really have a lot to say. A lot of his responses are just Dusty Rhodes or Macho Man impersonations, singing the words to theme songs or generally just f**king around followed by long periods of silence from Conrad. I get that Bruce is busy back in the office these days, but his level of professionalism on these podcasts is just non-existent.

Conrad himself on Grilling JR compared to Something to Wrestle is like night and day. With JR it's a free flowing and interesting conversation between the two. With Bruce you can sense Conrad getting frustrated with how incredibly childish Bruce gets at times.

Bischoff comes off as jaded and defensive, JR as a straighter shooter and Bruce is the entertaining one. I think Conrad respects JR but is obviously a lot closer with Bruce. Love STWW though. The episode on Sunny is phenomenal. Cornettes podcast is the best because he is always in character. I now enjoy it more than actually watching the stuff. Disco Inferno can be a bit irritating talking over everyone on Konnans Show. Arns voice is not an easy listen.

bileduct

Coach
Bischoff comes off as jaded and defensive, JR as a straighter shooter and Bruce is the entertaining one. I think Conrad respects JR but is obviously a lot closer with Bruce. Love STWW though. The episode on Sunny is phenomenal. Cornettes podcast is the best because he is always in character. I now enjoy it more than actually watching the stuff. Disco Inferno can be a bit irritating talking over everyone on Konnans Show. Arns voice is not an easy listen.
Jim Cornette would be the last person I'd ever listen to. I cannot stand the guy.

I've enjoyed a lot of the STWW podcasts previously, but I don't know if it's because Bruce is too busy now or whatever, it seems like he's just going through the motions and his heart isn't it. Really tired of the childish tantrums about Meltzer and wish Conrad would stop provoking him by using Meltzer's reviews all the time. Bruce goes off on a rant even when Meltzer is right.

Valheru

Coach
Jim Cornette would be the last person I'd ever listen to. I cannot stand the guy.

I've enjoyed a lot of the STWW podcasts previously, but I don't know if it's because Bruce is too busy now or whatever, it seems like he's just going through the motions and his heart isn't it. Really tired of the childish tantrums about Meltzer and wish Conrad would stop provoking him by using Meltzer's reviews all the time. Bruce goes off on a rant even when Meltzer is right.

Pritchard was a lot better before he signed with WWE again. He was always a bit of a company stooge but his newer podcasts make it obvious he is on the pay roll.

You are right re: Meltzer, if he said the sky was blue then Bruce would disagree.

Other than that, prior to working for WWE again I found him quite engaging and entertaining.

JR probably has the most of substance to say however he doesn't bring his character to the podcasts for some reason. It can be quite a laborious listen at times.

Meth

Staff member
Yeah, I think STWW has run its course. Bruce's hearts not really in it anymore. Conrad is trying to keep it going. The main topics have been covered. The Meltzer schtick is done.

Couldn't get into Ross. I don't know. Just couldn't really connect with him and IMO he's awful to listen to when he isn't calling a wrestling match.

I have no problem with the Meltzer belting. He does present a lot of opinion as fact, and the amount of pull he has within the wrestling community has moved the sport into either just non-stop spots or strong style with guys too small to be doing it convincingly. Not to say he isn’t a fountain of knowledge about the history of wrestling, but his reporting leaves a lot to be desired when stating fact vs opinion.

bileduct

Coach
The only problem I have with the JR podcasts is how long they take to get going... JR spends an awful lot of time talking about football and other sports before getting into the topic of discussion. Other than that he seems to have a lot to say about the wrestlers themselves, which is something I would expect from a talent relations manager. The episode Conrad and JR did on Chyna was excellent, and much more insightful than anything I ever heard Bruce say about her.

I'm not really a fan of listening to podcasts where people are still playing their character. I don't care much for people trying to stay kayfabe 24/7 in the year 2021, I want to hear their real thoughts and memories instead of some kind of work.

Valheru

Coach
The only problem I have with the JR podcasts is how long they take to get going... JR spends an awful lot of time talking about football and other sports before getting into the topic of discussion. Other than that he seems to have a lot to say about the wrestlers themselves, which is something I would expect from a talent relations manager. The episode Conrad and JR did on Chyna was excellent, and much more insightful than anything I ever heard Bruce say about her.

I'm not really a fan of listening to podcasts where people are still playing their character. I don't care much for people trying to stay kayfabe 24/7 in the year 2021, I want to hear their real thoughts and memories instead of some kind of work.

I will have to give the Chyna episode a listen.

As an aside, when I say he doesn't bring his "character", I don't mean Good ol JR, I am more referring to his personality and charisma. He just seems a bit dull sometimes on the podcast.

mackdadday

Juniors
Really enjoying the Angle podcast although it is a little scary how often he forgets what he is talking about and Conrad has to remind him. He seems really happy doing it and the shows a trim at about 70-90 minutes and his take on everything as someone coming in from outside the wrestling bubble is hilarious.

mackdadday

Juniors
The high point of the last show was Angle mentioning all the giraffes they have in New Zealand.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
My favourite wrestling podcast is called ‘WrestleRoasts’. It’s a bunch of comedians talking/making fun of the week of wrestling plus roasting a particular person/topic. They know their wrestling and it’s absolutely hilarious.

As others have said, Something To Wrestle With is usually pretty good, depends how interested you are in the episode topic. Cultaholic review podcasts are great too

bileduct

Coach
I saw in my recent podcasts list that Conrad put up a remix of some old Undertaker episodes so I gave that a listen. Bruce has changed so much since those earlier episodes. If he had something to say about Meltzer he said it quickly and moved on, plus he was much more open and talkative about stuff. I gave one of the newer episodes a go afterwards and just goes completely apoplectic over Meltzer every single time, plus he seems much more guarded with what he says which I suppose is a result of working with WWE again.