What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 season

betcats

Referee
People talk about Mansour like the club will fall apart without him. He was good at his particular skill which was that power running but that's really it. It's not like he was immortal so would've retired soon anyway.

Also there's no chance regardless of the roster we go 17 in a row again. There's a reason the next best team to do it were salary cap cheating at the time.

Also also we haven't turned to garbage with the lost props we've just come down to the level of every other team. Our roster was better than anyone else and would've been over the cap if not for the fact most were juniors on less than their true worth.

We just need to show faith in our player development. Guys like Fish, Yeo and Leota have been steadily improving for years if that continues and we get similar improvements out of guys like Leniu and Martin then our pack will better than it was.

Keeping Jimmy t would’ve 100 percent resulted in Leniu leaving and I think Sauce being kept on in first grade would’ve had Staines looking for a chance elsewhere. These are extremely high potential guys, losing them to keep guys whose careers are in their final stages just is not a good move, better to let the older guys move on a year early than a year late imo.

Smug Panther

First Grade
We just need to show faith in our player development. Guys like Fish, Yeo and Leota have been steadily improving for years if that continues and we get similar improvements out of guys like Leniu and Martin then our pack will better than it was.

Keeping Jimmy t would’ve 100 percent resulted in Leniu leaving and I think Sauce being kept on in first grade would’ve had Staines looking for a chance elsewhere. These are extremely high potential guys, losing them to keep guys whose careers are in their final stages just is not a good move, better to let the older guys move on a year early than a year late imo.
Was 3 or 4 years late with Sauce really

franklin2323

Immortal
People talk about Mansour like the club will fall apart without him. He was good at his particular skill which was that power running but that's really it. It's not like he was immortal so would've retired soon anyway.

Also there's no chance regardless of the roster we go 17 in a row again. There's a reason the next best team to do it were salary cap cheating at the time.

Also also we haven't turned to garbage with the lost props we've just come down to the level of every other team. Our roster was better than anyone else and would've been over the cap if not for the fact most were juniors on less than their true worth.

You aren't looking just to this year. We look top 4 for many years to come. Provided we win a couple of premierships in the next decade then we did well

We were a mile in front of everyone as far as metres gained. So even drop a bit still keeps us up there

The meters Mansour got are overrated. Very few teams use their wingers like we have of recent, look Bellamy’s model for the wingers at the Storm. Always speedsters.

But I do think people are glossing over our prop situation. Yeah, other guys could well improve, but Leota has never shown enough to be a starter, and he’s been around for years now. Leniu is very exciting, but just a pup. That’s a lot for JFH to do. If he went down through injury we’re in some strife.

The way Cleary plays he really needs that dominant middle as well. Obviously all halves benefit from it, but Cleary especially as he’s a more by the numbers half.

betcats

Referee
We have to many good forwards not to put out a very strong pack including the middle. Leota was good enough to get mentioned as an origin Bolter by Fittler last season, I think he is more than good enough to start and I think leniu is better.

franklin2323

Immortal
We have to many good forwards not to put out a very strong pack including the middle. Leota was good enough to get mentioned as an origin Bolter by Fittler last season, I think he is more than good enough to start and I think leniu is better.

Tamou ave127m a game. Tetevano 97m so it isn't huge gains we need

WestyLife

First Grade
The meters Mansour got are overrated. Very few teams use their wingers like we have of recent, look Bellamy’s model for the wingers at the Storm. Always speedsters.

But I do think people are glossing over our prop situation. Yeah, other guys could well improve, but Leota has never shown enough to be a starter, and he’s been around for years now. Leniu is very exciting, but just a pup. That’s a lot for JFH to do. If he went down through injury we’re in some strife.

The way Cleary plays he really needs that dominant middle as well. Obviously all halves benefit from it, but Cleary especially as he’s a more by the numbers half.

I don't think I'm glossing over it. I just see it as we have gone from stacked down to a normal nrl forward pack under the salary cap.

martielang

Bench

I haven't heard anyone say that & tbh there's far more trying to discredit him than defend him.

WestyLife

First Grade
I haven't heard anyone say that & tbh there's far more trying to discredit him than defend him.

Happens a lot with Mansour and any fan favourite really. Not that he was bad but either way speed is better on the wings with how the game is played now and the number 1 point is the fact he's 30+. No matter what he wouldn't be here long and we have to get past his metres as a team or there's big issues.

The_Frog

First Grade
Happens a lot with Mansour and any fan favourite really. Not that he was bad but either way speed is better on the wings with how the game is played now and the number 1 point is the fact he's 30+. No matter what he wouldn't be here long and we have to get past his metres as a team or there's big issues.
Wayne Bennett is a pretty fair judge of cattle. It appears he thinks Sauce has something left to give. Maybe we're paying freight though which would help his cause.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I don't think Bennett is a great judge of cattle. Sure he does OK with a stacked squad. Did nothing special with Newcastle. In fact almost wrecked the joint. (saw it first hand) I think his 'legacy' is way over-rated. Players don't leave his squads as better players like Bellamy is able to do.

Whether Sauce has more to offer I have no idea. I do know that Staines wouldn't have re-signed if he had to sit behind Josh in 2021.

WestyLife

First Grade
Wayne Bennett is a pretty fair judge of cattle. It appears he thinks Sauce has something left to give. Maybe we're paying freight though which would help his cause.

I think he has a lot to offer the right team. Souths have a speedy winger so now Mansour balances them better. We also now have 2 strong runners in Edwards and To'o with Staines the speed.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think he has a lot to offer the right team. Souths have a speedy winger so now Mansour balances them better. We also now have 2 strong runners in Edwards and To'o with Staines the speed.

We were 1800m clear of Parra. Was 1st in Tackle busts, Completion rates, 2nd in tries scored but took us 140 more tackles inside the 20 to score them. So we can afford to to drop a few of those stats to increase potency attacking

WestyLife

First Grade
We were 1800m clear of Parra. Was 1st in Tackle busts, Completion rates, 2nd in tries scored but took us 140 more tackles inside the 20 to score them. So we can afford to to drop a few of those stats to increase potency attacking

Exactly. Comes back to the balance argument. Mansour has another contract and we get a try scorer. Those half dozen half chances will be more likely converted now.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
He's done that everywhere he's gone, but while he's there he has success.

Only real sucess (in my opinion) was the donkeys. A place with TPA's ti burn and basically the whole of south queensland to choose from.

Dragons were ripe for a premership Bennett did little, and then turned the place to mud.

I think the bloke is very over-rated.....Bellamy on the other hand, turns very average players into something special. I wonder if this will happen with Mom ?

Latest posts