What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Jets

I think we can all agree that in all reality around 80-90% of fans who attend games are from within a 30km ish radius of the stadium, probably even less distance for weeknight games. Sooo if the new club is playing out of Suncorp, which it will as there isn’t another nrl standard stadium in Brisbane or surrounds, then which of the bids has the best potential to draw 20k plus attending fans from within a 30km radius of Suncorp?

the more I consider this reality the less favourable a Moreton bay dolphins bid looks. Maybe that bid needs to be parked until the nrl and dolphins can convince the govts to spend $200mill upgrading dolphin stadium?
You are correct. Firehawks have the best bid.

Perth Red

Post Whore
3 teams would probably be enough for Brisbane over the next 30 years. One in the south and one in the north. When Ipswich has 500k or more it can be considered, but until then it's too small. Moreton Bay Region is growing and is almost the size of Gold Coast. A team there in a 20k to 25k stadium would provide a great atmosphere for games played on a Thursday or Friday night. The NRL isn't going to average 20k to games any time soon, so we might as well build stadiums that cater to the market, rather than putting up a massive ground that is 1/4 full most of the time.

agree but until they can get the $200mill plus committed to build a stadium in the north then I can’t see dolphins drawing big crowds to Suncorp unless they drop the “we represent Moreton bay” marketing and focus on being a inner brisbane club. Jets will have to do same but at least they are calling themselves brisbane. Firehawks geographically at least probably have the best chance of drawing a crowd at Suncorp.

ideally all nrl stadiums should be a min 25k, but 30k to show some ambition at growing supporter base and FC revenue is the ideal size.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
I like the idea of green and silver, but two colours is kinda limiting in terms of merchandising etc.. even the Bulldogs and Dragons have been incorporating black (or grey) more in their palatte these days.

Add a third colour to the green & silver - either black or blue would work - just gives it that extra dimension. I think green and orange just wouldn't work.
Forest green with small amounts of silver and black would look great.

If I see orange and green together I just think of carrots.

Orange and grey/silver aren’t a great combo either in my opinion. I’m not a fan of the GWS Giants kits at all.

There’s no need for any new team to use blue.

Another colourway I don’t mind is Black and Tan/Brown like the panthers wore a few years ago. Brisbane Browns (snake) or Brisbane Bulls in those colours would be unique

Jamberoo

Juniors
That's not true. The AFL looked into the matter and decided not to pursue them, probably because it'd be expensive with a small chance of success.

The reality is you have no choice but to create a brand that you may have to change, because no matter what you do it's going to clash with somebody somewhere whom could choose to try and challenge it if they want to.

So realistically there's nothing you can do about it, so why bother even worrying about it unless it becomes a problem?
We continue to disagree. One of the reasons Essendon/AFL did not pursue it because the Brisbane Bombers were yet to exist, and were unlikely to ever exist. There was talk on Melbourne media last week that Essendon/AFL may still have taken action had it looked possible that Bombers would get the licence. Copyright and use of names is not clear cut. Fremantle were prohibited from using their nickname Dockers in certain circumstances until recently due to a US Jeans company. It was not to appear on any clothing, merch, etc.
So, it is always best to select a name where you are at least not aware of any competitors currently using the same name.

MugaB

Coach
To be relevant though they will need to drop the branding that they are representing Moreton bay and have a much more generic brand like brisbane dolphins otherwise why will anyone not in Moreton Bay Area follow them? Jets have said they will be called the brisbane jets, dolphins will have to follow suit if they want to attract people closer to Suncorp. By the nature of having to target the inner areas of brisbane to get attendees and fill corporate boxes at Suncorp any Brisbane2 club is going to be competing directly with broncos for sponsors and fans in reality.
South Queensland Dolphins, East Coast Dolphins, Brisbane Dolphins, whats your point? Read the bid, they have already specifically stated they wont be calling themselves moreton bay or redcliffe, they are looking for more of a broader name

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
If the Dolphins miss out they should relocate to Perth play in the QLD cup and snap up that expansion license in due course.

Perth Red

Post Whore
South Queensland Dolphins, East Coast Dolphins, Brisbane Dolphins, whats your point? Read the bid, they have already specifically stated they wont be calling themselves moreton bay or redcliffe, they are looking for more of a broader name

not to be pedantic but all they have said is what they won’t be called, Redcliffe. It makes sense to be called brisbane or south queensland dolphins but their heart is clearly Redcliffe and their bid based around their representing Moreton bay. Will all the areas within 30kms of Suncorp adopt a pseudo Redcliffe side with some rivalry if you follow a qlnd cup,side? They've said they will play some games at Redcliffe and maybe Sunshine Coast after all.

MugaB

Coach
not to be pedantic but all they have said is what they won’t be called, Redcliffe. It makes sense to be called brisbane or south queensland dolphins but their heart is clearly Redcliffe and their bid based around their representing Moreton bay. Will all the areas within 30kms of Suncorp adopt a pseudo Redcliffe side with some rivalry if you follow a qlnd cup,side? They've said they will play some games at Redcliffe and maybe Sunshine Coast after all.
Yeah well South Sydney plays at homebush, still train at Redfern tho i don't see a difference

Diesel

Referee
Makes me wonder if they’ll go by the name “Queensland Dolphins” or simply be “Dolphins/Dolphins RLFC”

MugaB

Coach
about 25km and an hour on public transport difference.
Its 42mins drive, and 20kms distance
But that's only coz its peak hour this morning, my maps is accounting for the traffic..
Either way your still pouring a whole heap of shit over both bids outside of easts who probably wont attract anyone outside of the CBD, again effectively splitting the bronx crowd in two, not expanding.

To me expanding in brisbane means adding another team to take on the west side of the city stretching to toowoomba like the jets or north side of the city like the dolphins stretching to sunshine coast.
Thats expansion!
Not bronx v0.5 vs bronx v0.5

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
But that's only coz its peak hour this morning, my maps is accounting for the traffic..
Either way your still pouring a whole heap of shit over both bids outside of easts who probably wont attract anyone outside of the CBD, again effectively splitting the bronx crowd in two, not expanding.

To me expanding in brisbane means adding another team to take on the west side of the city stretching to toowoomba like the jets or north side of the city like the dolphins stretching to sunshine coast

thats interesting. To me the idea of Brisbane 2 is to be a 2nd Brisbane club that can take advantage of Suncorp stadium. Does it need a point of different from the Broncos? yes of course but Brisbane metro area has 2.5 million people and while the city has sprawled out further over the years is has also densified significantly in the inner suburbs with many, many unit blocks going up.

Anyway I don't think there is a wrong or right answer to Brisbane expansion and maybe targeting areas on the outskirts of Brisbane is better. The people who live in the inner suburbs maybe aren't RL demographic but I think any new team should be looking to use Suncorp stadium as much as possible....

Santino Patane

Juniors
thats interesting. To me the idea of Brisbane 2 is to be a 2nd Brisbane club that can take advantage of Suncorp stadium. Does it need a point of different from the Broncos? yes of course but Brisbane metro area has 2.5 million people and while the city has sprawled out further over the years is has also densified significantly in the inner suburbs with many, many unit blocks going up.

Anyway I don't think there is a wrong or right answer to Brisbane expansion and maybe targeting areas on the outskirts of Brisbane is better. The people who live in the inner suburbs maybe aren't RL demographic but I think any new team should be looking to use Suncorp stadium as much as possible....
On the money here!

jim_57

Staff member

I agree, a simple North/South divide with the Broncos would be my preference. In 10-20 then look at Sunshine Coast or Ipswich as stand alone teams once the populations grow a bit more. Firehawks would fit that mould best.

MugaB

Coach

All 3 bids take advantage of Suncorp, they all claim to be playing there fulltime

Last edited:

To me expanding in brisbane means adding another team to take on the west side of the city stretching to toowoomba like the jets or north side of the city like the dolphins stretching to sunshine coast.
Thats expansion!
Not bronx v0.5 vs bronx v0.5
Easts take in Logan, which would be a real kick in the nuts for the Broncos. RL in greater Brisbane is strongest in Logan.

It would be great to see the Logan Hyperdome full of Firehawks fans instead of people wearing Broncos crap.

The Great Dane

First Grade
We continue to disagree. One of the reasons Essendon/AFL did not pursue it because the Brisbane Bombers were yet to exist, and were unlikely to ever exist. There was talk on Melbourne media last week that Essendon/AFL may still have taken action had it looked possible that Bombers would get the licence. Copyright and use of names is not clear cut. Fremantle were prohibited from using their nickname Dockers in certain circumstances until recently due to a US Jeans company. It was not to appear on any clothing, merch, etc.
So, it is always best to select a name where you are at least not aware of any competitors currently using the same name.
Thanks for making my point that there's no such thing as a brand that there aren't any competitors whom could challenge...

Try and avoid it all you like there'll always be a reasonable risk that somebody somewhere challenges your trademark, so you shouldn't worry about it unless somebody owns the trademark (i.e. you are certain they'll challenge), and in the case of Brisbane Hornets nobody owns the trademark.

BTW, you shouldn't trust a damn thing that comes out of the media in Melbourne when it pertains to the AFL competing with another sport, their bias is baffling.
If the AFL were going to take action they would have done so a decade ago, and if they did it would have opened up a can of worms that'd be in their interest to keep closed as well.

Last edited: