What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne and the Sunshine Coast

flippikat

Bench
Wests Tigers are a couple on the brink of divorce, staying together for the kids.

It wouldn't be too horrible if they split.

The Magpies and Tigers would have some decent options outside that merger - other potential merger partners that make better geographical sense, or relocation destinations.

The sticking point is the possible (likely?) "Northern Eagles" scenario, where the weaker of the two parties gets NOTHING out of the split, and is exiled to NSW Cup. Maybe it's just fear of that keeping them together?

Styles clash

Juniors
Last edited:
It wouldn't be too horrible if they split.

The Magpies and Tigers would have some decent options outside that merger - other potential merger partners that make better geographical sense, or relocation destinations.

The sticking point is the possible (likely?) "Northern Eagles" scenario, where the weaker of the two parties gets NOTHING out of the split, and is exiled to NSW Cup. Maybe it's just fear of that keeping them together?
North Sydney Tigers and Western Sydney Bulldogs.

Manly to Christchurch or Wellington.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Don't we start our season a couple of weeks before AwFuL?

Melbourne should be given 2 home games at the start of the season while there's no opposition from AwFuL. It should have been done 10 years ago. The club might have more supporters, especially among kids, if they had the opportunity to launch the season each year in Melbourne.

The ARLC doesn't do much to promote the game down there.

We should do Magic Weekend at Docklands, round 1 in Melbourne whilst the AFL is still in pre-season. Have the Melbourne CBD swamped with RL supporters and give Melbourne a RL event that they own - they love annual events to attend like the boxing day test, the AFL GF, the AO tennis, the GP. Even call it the Magic Melbourne weekend if you have to.

Last edited:

Vee

First Grade
We should do Magic Weekend at Docklands, round 1 in Melbourne whilst the AFL is still in pre-season. Have the Melbourne CBD swamped with RL supporters and give Melbourne a RL event that they own - they love annual events to attend like the boxing day test, the AFL GF, the AO tennis, the GP. Even call it the Magic Melbourne weekend if you have to.
Not a bad idea and one I would support by heading down to enjoy but it is all about money with Queensland fronting the cash for a 3 year guarantee.

After that? I'd love to see it, make it happen.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Not a bad idea and one I would support by heading down to enjoy but it is all about money with Queensland fronting the cash for a 3 year guarantee.

After that? I'd love to see it, make it happen.

I'd love to see it to and if it is a success in Brisbane there might be some bidding tension to get some more cash out of the Victorian Government. If we were to take it there I'd like to see the NRL do what the AFL did with the GF in Brisbane. Get the Vic Government to commit some ongoing cash to grassroots RL in Victoria including grounds and facilities.

Great idea. To have an RL event that they can call their own would definitely raise the game's profile in Melbourne. AwFuL would be a little nervous about its long term impact.

siv

First Grade
Lets see how this relationship goes in 2021

- Warriors trial in Redcliffe has been cancelled
- Storms Victoria SG Ball game cancelled
- 7 Melbourne players have pulled out of all stars game

Maybe Melbourne might have to relocate up here again ?

Was thinking that once the lockdown came about. Premier Big-Earlobes has made another pigs-ear of quarantine in Melbourne and if if continues to grow, I think it's absolutely on the cards.

And despite the potential cost to the NRL if lockdowns persist in Victoria, crowd bans etc thus brining the Storm up to Qld again, I reckon they'd secretly be punching the air that the AFL will bleed even more if they can't play leg tennis in front of crowds in Melbourne.