What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

getsmarty

Immortal
remote.axd

The Dragons' 2020 season in review

DRAGONS

St George Illawarra Dragons: 2021 round 1 predicted team
Author
Chris Kennedy & Jamie Soward
Timestamp
Fri 12 Feb 2021, 02:42 PM
Share on social media
In a series analysing who will line up in each position for all 16 teams in the opening round of the Telstra Premiership in 2021, NRL.com looks at the St George Illawarra Dragons.

NRL.com says: There are four wingers vying for two spots, with Max Feagai and Jordan Pereira also in the frame.

Jack Bird could play a number of spots but is likely to start off at either centre or via the bench, which could hand Brayden Wiliame a chance. New coach Anthony Griffin is leaning towards bringing him back from his ACL tear in the forwards.

With Cameron McInnes having torn an anterior cruciate ligament and plans to lure Andrew McCullough from the Bronocs yet to get over the line, Billy Brittain looms as the logical choice at hooker for now.

Jack de Belin remains stood down until his court case is resolved.

predicted_dra_20210212a---hunt.jpg

Jamie Soward says: The talking point will be where Ben Hunt plays. Anthony Griffin has made no secret about where he wants Ben to play and it's with Corey.

Vaughan will probably start with someone like Fa'amausili with Josh Kerr off the bench so they have a bit more foot speed to start. I love the back row of Sims and Ford, who could be a breakout player this year.

I don't think Lawrie will start at 13; I wouldn't be surprised if Jack Bird found himself in the back row because of his versatility of being able to play centre, fullback, five-eighth ... he may start off the bench but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him spend some time in the back row with Max Feagai or Wiliame at centre.

Both Feagai brothers will be pushing for spots. Pereira will start on one wing and may partner Ramsey. Merrin and Lawrie are probably competing for one spot because they're similar body types.

Poasa has come from a Roosters system and will be expected to bring some of those values. One thing about the Dragons is they have depth in the outside backs because the Feagai bothers have come up to top squad. Clune and Sullivan will be pushing Hunt and Norman the whole way.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/12/30/st-george-illawarra-dragons-2021-round-1-predicted-team/

denis preston

First Grade
Sorry Denis you have lost me here.
I was just stating that Hunt will be captain.

" You believe it is 450K? I must of missed that"

I was referring to McCulloch and The Courier's statement below.

The Dragons can offer him a two-year deal and he would rejoin former coach Anthony Griffin in Wollongong, although wouldn’t be guaranteed a starting spot in the team.

Crush

Coach

The Dragons can offer him a two-year deal and he would rejoin former coach Anthony Griffin in Wollongong, although wouldn’t be guaranteed a starting spot in the team.
Yeah right, I hadn’t read that. You’re dead right though, as if they’d sign him at 600K and not play him.
Anyway, he’ll definitely be needed now that CM is out for the season.

TruSaint

Referee
remote.axd

The Dragons' 2020 season in review

DRAGONS

St George Illawarra Dragons: 2021 round 1 predicted team
Author
Chris Kennedy & Jamie Soward
Timestamp
Fri 12 Feb 2021, 02:42 PM
Share on social media
In a series analysing who will line up in each position for all 16 teams in the opening round of the Telstra Premiership in 2021, NRL.com looks at the St George Illawarra Dragons.

NRL.com says: There are four wingers vying for two spots, with Max Feagai and Jordan Pereira also in the frame.

Jack Bird could play a number of spots but is likely to start off at either centre or via the bench, which could hand Brayden Wiliame a chance. New coach Anthony Griffin is leaning towards bringing him back from his ACL tear in the forwards.

With Cameron McInnes having torn an anterior cruciate ligament and plans to lure Andrew McCullough from the Bronocs yet to get over the line, Billy Brittain looms as the logical choice at hooker for now.

Jack de Belin remains stood down until his court case is resolved.

predicted_dra_20210212a---hunt.jpg

Jamie Soward says: The talking point will be where Ben Hunt plays. Anthony Griffin has made no secret about where he wants Ben to play and it's with Corey.

Vaughan will probably start with someone like Fa'amausili with Josh Kerr off the bench so they have a bit more foot speed to start. I love the back row of Sims and Ford, who could be a breakout player this year.

I don't think Lawrie will start at 13; I wouldn't be surprised if Jack Bird found himself in the back row because of his versatility of being able to play centre, fullback, five-eighth ... he may start off the bench but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him spend some time in the back row with Max Feagai or Wiliame at centre.

Both Feagai brothers will be pushing for spots. Pereira will start on one wing and may partner Ramsey. Merrin and Lawrie are probably competing for one spot because they're similar body types.

Poasa has come from a Roosters system and will be expected to bring some of those values. One thing about the Dragons is they have depth in the outside backs because the Feagai bothers have come up to top squad. Clune and Sullivan will be pushing Hunt and Norman the whole way.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/12/30/st-george-illawarra-dragons-2021-round-1-predicted-team/

No way that squad is in finals contention.

possm

Coach

That news paper is biased toward the Broncos. Tying to gee up the price to inflict more pain on the Dragons while at the same time, make the deal that they did with McCullough seem an OK deal.

I have heard that it is indeed 450K for 2021 and then 350k after that. It is still not clear if it is a two year deal with an option in the Dragons favour for an extra year.

possm

Coach
I'd like to see an up front sign on payment and match payments there after. With a win bonus each game won. In this way:
  • A terminated contract ends on the date of transfer with no further payment from the losing club.
  • For management of the salary cap, budget for a win each week.
  • Any surplus balance should be allowed to top off the following years cap.

TruSaint

Referee
Tough season ahead unfortunately Tru. Only positive is the bald one is no longer involved but the damage left behind is staggering
Unfortunately, I feel it will take a miracle to avoid bottom 4 this year. The damage will take a year or more to fix.

Yep,

Im just being honest. This has nothing to do with the coaching staff. I / we will see how they go.

As a squad that is very close to ( as @Coffs dragon said ), bottom 4.

possm

Coach
Success this year will be getting 12-14th.

I think we can revisit this come seasons end.

10 years of abject failure will take some time to recover from.
I'd say with the inclusion of:
  • Ramsey at fullback
  • Bird in the top 13
  • De Belin at lock, and
  • McCullough at hooker
It is quite possible to make the top 8 and even the top 4 with our fair share of luck.

Latest posts