What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bellamy

Don Tweddle

Juniors
See below a statement from CEO Dino Mezzatesta in response to media reports relating to the Cronulla Sharks and Craig Bellamy.

“We can confirm meetings have been ongoing between the Sharks, Craig Bellamy and his advisors, in relation to a potential Coaching Director role at our Club from 2022 onwards.

“Until there is more to report, the Sharks will be making no further comment.”

Don Tweddle

Juniors
Cronulla have been in secret talks for six months to sign Craig Bellamy in a major bombshell that will shock the code.

The Sharks have blindsided both Bellamy’s current club Melbourne and leading rival the Brisbane Broncos in a stunning bid to sign the supercoach.

In a major Sunday Telegraph exclusive, it can be revealed the Sharks have tabled Bellamy a four-year deal to become the club’s director of football.

Viewed by many as the greatest coach of all-time, the plan for Bellamy would be to see out the final year of his contract as head coach of the Storm this season before linking with the Sharks to oversee their entire football structure from 2022.

The 61-year-old confirmed to The Sunday Telegraph that he had been in long-term talks with a Sydney club but refused to reveal it was the Sharks.

Asked about his future, Bellamy said: “There’s a Sydney club, but I can’t name them. They’ve done a really good job to keep it secret.

“I’ve been talking to them for as long as the Broncos offer has been there. It’s a serious option.”

Asked specifically about Cronulla: “Well, it’s a really nice place. Honestly I can’t say anything. I’ve had a bit on my plate but I’ll make a decision soon.”

Waving goodbye? Craig Bellamy says a move to Sydney is a “serious option”.
The Sharks have held-off re-signing current coach John Morris due to the delicate negotiation phase and obvious priority of trying to lure one of the biggest names in rugby league.

Cronulla are cognisant of the immediate impact Bellamy’s arrival would have on potential sponsors and recruitment targets, particularly as the club approaches the availability of almost $5 million in salary cap space to spend at the end of this season.

Rated one of the greatest NRL coaches of all time, Bellamy would be charged with overseeing the club’s entire football and recruitment structure, with the freedom to also work with the club’s corporate and commercial division — an area that few would realise the premiership-winning coach is interested in exploring.

How Cronulla have managed to become a major contender and in the fight to execute one of the game’s greatest heists is extraordinary.

Similar to their stealth-like pursuit of Dragons captain Cameron McInnes, the Sharks management, led by CEO Dino Mezzatesta and chair Steve Mace, have been working since last July to secure Bellamy.

The COVID-19 pandemic has played havoc with Bellamy’s ability to visit the Shire with the majority of dialogue being held over the phone.

Keeping any story in rugby league secret for six months, particularly one as significant as this, is unheard of.

And it’s that level of respect from the Sharks, to resist leaking their pursuit of the NRL’s greatest mentor to the press, which has undeniably played a major role in Cronulla remaining in the battle for his signature.

Given his status as one the game’s greatest coaches, Bellamy’s signature would rank as the most high-profile coaching appointment in the Sharks’ 53-year history — including that of former supercoach Jack Gibson in 1985.

Bellamy had made it clear the 2021 season would be his final year as head coach of the Storm, which led to the Broncos and Melbourne each formulating an expensive plan for him to transition into a coaching director’s role.

After appointing first-time NRL coach Kevin Walters, the Broncos are determined to lure Bellamy as a mentor back to Red Hill, where he began his coaching career as an assistant coach.

The Storm are also confident that Bellamy will remain involved at the club where he has enjoyed a deep emotional attachment and so many wonderful memories of on-field success for almost 20 years.

But after taking Melbourne to the finals in 17 of the past 18 seasons, the Sharks are hoping Bellamy is eager for a new and different career path.

Tiger Shark

Bench
Can’t see it happening but a good move. I’d assume it means we might stick with Morris or give him a chance under Bellamy. Maybe it’ll be Bellamys call?

azzah72

Bench
My wife reckons he is using us to extract more dough from the Broncos.....

That was my immediate thought but it's been 6 months, unleaked and he still hasn't finalised anything else anywhere else, so, that leads me to believe we are at least, in consideration.

I'd like to believe if he was taking the piss, it would have already leaked and other offers have been tabled etc.

Doesn't seem to be the case, until right now, because newscorpes obviously has a bone with not knowing who.

Good on the Sharks for also, mostly plugging the leak holes it seems.

AJB1102

First Grade
My wife reckons he is using us to extract more dough from the Broncos.....

I don't think Bellamy needs to leverage off other interest especially if its not public knowledge till now. I'm sure if Bellamy put himself on auction he'd have 16 NRL clubs looking.

snout

First Grade
As long as it doesn't bring any roid slander from rival supporters.
'Cause that's never happened before

Latest posts