What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Targets

Stake Removed

First Grade
I know we may not be excited for Dugan and Woods, but we have gone from a very old squad stacked with leaders like Gal, Lewy and Ennis, to having a super young squad and dropping way down on that leadership group.
Woods for his ways, is still a respected player, a good squad and locker guy and someone of value.
I think having him for 2 more years whilst Vasquez, Pele and the other young props properly develop will be beneficial.
If one of them takes a giant leap during his tenure, then he will have suitors in the NRL and ESL for his services and will be easily moved on, especially on a reduced contract.

As for Dugan, he will be perfect in the 18th man role for our backs. Someone to cover form dips, pre game injuries or late withdrawals.
He is a handy guy to have, for the reasons mentioned about re: Woods.
Dugan in 2022 he could work as the utility man in 17 on bench can cover positions in backline.
Could he play then for say 20 minutes as an edge forward off bench as well ??

Chimp

Bench
I know we may not be excited for Dugan and Woods, but we have gone from a very old squad stacked with leaders like Gal, Lewy and Ennis, to having a super young squad and dropping way down on that leadership group.
Woods for his ways, is still a respected player, a good squad and locker guy and someone of value.
I think having him for 2 more years whilst Vasquez, Pele and the other young props properly develop will be beneficial.
If one of them takes a giant leap during his tenure, then he will have suitors in the NRL and ESL for his services and will be easily moved on, especially on a reduced contract.

As for Dugan, he will be perfect in the 18th man role for our backs. Someone to cover form dips, pre game injuries or late withdrawals.
He is a handy guy to have, for the reasons mentioned about re: Woods.
For all he’s not my type of prop - Woods is alright, as long as you’re not wanting him as a line bending/breaking/busting prop. He does make decent meters, but he needs to be surrounded by others who have more speed and make more impact. It’s all about the balance.
What he isn’t, is an $800k prop, particularly not in the current high speed version of the game....

chewsta

First Grade
Will Duges want to stay on to fill an 18th man roll though? He is still playing good footy and could still get decent money elsewhere, would be great to see him stick around, I like Duges. But as a competitive athlete would the ego allow him to hang around as a super sub of sorts.

R-15-3

Juniors
For all he’s not my type of prop - Woods is alright, as long as you’re not wanting him as a line bending/breaking/busting prop. He does make decent meters, but he needs to be surrounded by others who have more speed and make more impact. It’s all about the balance.
What he isn’t, is an $800k prop, particularly not in the current high speed version of the game....
My problem with woods isn’t his meters it’s how long it takes him lumbering forward and letting the defence reset and killing the next play. 5 meters fast is better then 10 meter slow. The games all about momentum something woods kills.

chewsta

First Grade
My problem with woods isn’t his meters it’s how long it takes him lumbering forward and letting the defence reset and killing the next play. 5 meters fast is better then 10 meter slow. The games all about momentum something woods kills.

Not to mention his absolutely woeful ruck defence.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Year 9 Westfields high.

Mr Angry has his bike stolen.

Next day I make a agreement with Tito the Tongan, my second rower, I will buy him milk and pie and he makes sure my bike is there.

Easy for me, Mum made good lunches and Dad gave me money, white priviledge.

Anyways my bike was alawys there, not sure what he did, Tito loved a pie and milk.

Frenzy.

Immortal

Don't agree. He makes up for the metre ro 2 of pace he doesn't have by still having probably one of the fastest PTBs in the game and the fact he is rarely turtled.

The momentum was lost last year mainly through the lack of attacking work of the other forwards and that was directly affected by the fatigue factor of having too many forwards missing too many tackles.

For your perusal. 3 of ours were in the top 15 for missed tackles. Not good

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 2.11.44 pm.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 2.11.44 pm.png

Woods was the best performed Sharks forward for metres gained and even then he only comes in at 38
Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 2.13.05 pm.png

Then the offloads. TPP our best and only coming in 40th
Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 2.13.40 pm.png

Lastly, total missed tackles across the NRL saw the Sharks come first

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 2.15.48 pm.png

The Sharks aren't winning anything until they run out conditioned and ready for NRL 2021. The team was a bunch of fat lumps last year and didn't adapt to the new speed. Sure, people can scapegoat Woods but there were many more far worse. FAR worse, including the forum heroes like TPP and Rudolf. Wade had a disgraceful year when one goes back and relooks at it.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Wade had one good game all year, Woods saved his worst for the semi-final.

We still do not direct from dummy-half, we have halves who decide which way the play goes.

There is some bloke who played like 400 games and the attack starts with him.

Just give him a fast fullback and halves do not really matter that much.

R-15-3

Juniors
Don't agree. He makes up for the metre ro 2 of pace he doesn't have by still having probably one of the fastest PTBs in the game and the fact he is rarely turtled.

The momentum was lost last year mainly through the lack of attacking work of the other forwards and that was directly affected by the fatigue factor of having too many forwards missing too many tackles.

For your perusal. 3 of ours were in the top 15 for missed tackles. Not good

View attachment 45921
View attachment 45921

Woods was the best performed Sharks forward for metres gained and even then he only comes in at 38
View attachment 45922

Then the offloads. TPP our best and only coming in 40th
View attachment 45923

Lastly, total missed tackles across the NRL saw the Sharks come first

View attachment 45924

The Sharks aren't winning anything until they run out conditioned and ready for NRL 2021. The team was a bunch of fat lumps last year and didn't adapt to the new speed. Sure, people can scapegoat Woods but there were many more far worse. FAR worse, including the forum heroes like TPP and Rudolf. Wade had a disgraceful year when one goes back and relooks at it.
The team as a whole where terrible all over the park and all those stats just scratch the surface, but woods play the ball speeds may look fast from the time he is called held but from 1st contact to play the ball would be one of the slowest, his post contact meters are so slow dragging defenders along for a few extra meters slow down the play

Frenzy.

Immortal
The team as a whole where terrible all over the park and all those stats just scratch the surface, but woods play the ball speeds may look fast from the time he is called held but from 1st contact to play the ball would be one of the slowest, his post contact meters are so slow dragging defenders along for a few extra meters slow down the play

Are they slow because he runs slow or slow because he is strong as a pair of oxen and can't easily be put to ground. He saps a lot of energy out of defenders.

Agree the whole team was terrible. Way off the pace and more stats would just scare people. After all, the team is pretty much the same. All that can change is individual performance, body shape, use of more speedy snarks and arguing DEFENCE FFS. I hope it does.

carinashark

First Grade
Oh please jut look at what Woods dose on field? He is slow , and tackle shy. Fifi ,flops, gives away penalties, no longer bends the line. Chad slow, no longer has a kicking game. The game has changed since 2016 .Stats are not enough in a real game. I really do not want any of these players anywhere near our young squad. Their example is poison .Gal ,and Lewis command respect and are role models.

Chimp

Bench
Wade had a disgraceful year when one goes back and relooks at it.
Absolutely agree with this - was an absolute passenger. Offered very little in attack, didn’t bend the line at all and defence was terrible all year.
Looked like a bloke who was just going through the motions.