What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McCullough

possm

Coach
The announcement cannot be made & complete until after the 15 Feb as this is the next pay instalment for NRL players according to Dobbo on Brissy Radio..
The deal is done!
I don't agree at all! No matter when the next pay instalment is due to be paid, there is no restriction on either the Dragons or Broncos announcing that McCullough will be released on 16 Feb or later. It is a new contract with McCullough commencing on the date that the Broncos release him. Each month that the Broncos delay, is another instalment that they must make.

So it appears that the Dragons have agreed to honour the same rate of payment that the Broncos have been paying each month until Nov 1 and then reverting to the new salary agreed upon by McCullough and the Dragons.

I can assure you the new figure for 2022 and maybe 2023 is closer to 300k than 600k as reported in the Courier Mail.

getsmarty

Immortal
I don't agree at all! No matter when the next pay instalment is due to be paid, there is no restriction on either the Dragons or Broncos announcing that McCullough will be released on 16 Feb or later. It is a new contract with McCullough commencing on the date that the Broncos release him. Each month that the Broncos delay, is another instalment that they must make.

So it appears that the Dragons have agreed to honour the same rate of payment that the Broncos have been paying each month until Nov 1 and then reverting to the new salary agreed upon by McCullough and the Dragons.

I can assure you the new figure for 2022 and maybe 2023 is closer to 300k than 600k as reported in the Courier Mail.

Add to this , that McCullough and Ben Hunt are close. Hopefully this will also bring benefits in terms of Ben's Game...

Dragon David

First Grade
My concern is will Hook play "favourites" with the Broncos connection 'cause I'm hoping he won't be like that and will treat each player on his merits?

This Year?

Immortal
And the era of plod continues..... I wonder if some people actually watched any Broncos games in the last few seasons and actually seen how snail-like McChokesaviour is.
Depth signing at best but if for premium dollars with more game time than our up and comers then it's taking the piss.

Jobs for the boys etc etc.

Last edited:

Drakon

Juniors
Also posted this article in the Brittain thread as it mentions Billy Brittain. (text highlighted in article)

McCullough exit would free up $400k — here are the THREE ways Broncos could spend it

The release of Andrew McCullough could have major ramifications.

Andrew McCullough was not required to turn up to Broncos training on Thursday morning with his career at Brisbane seemingly reaching its end.

The headache for coach Kevin Walters though has just begun.

Walters revealed on Thursday that McCullough had been given time away from Broncos duties to mull over his future as he considers a move to rivals St. George Illawarra.

While insisting Brisbane do not want to see him go, Walters said they were only willing to offer McCullough a one-year deal before re-evaluating his long-term future at the club.

“Andrew as everyone knows has had an offer from a rival club so we’ve decided to let him sort himself out,” Walters said to reporters.

“We want a clear direction with our club and where we’re heading in the next few weeks and into round one so we’ve given Andrew a couple of days off to sort himself out and see where he wants to play for 2021 and beyond

“We’ve offered him for this year, we want to see him come back and play and play the way Andrew McCullough can and I’m sure his future will be bright when he can do that.”

The Dragons, on the other hand, are understood to have put a three-year offer on the table.

With McCullough’s exit seemingly nearing, the focus will then move towards who the Broncos could use his money to go after.

News Corp reports Brisbane will have $400,000 of free salary cap space if McCullough leaves as expected, having already paid him $200,000 over the past four months.

Issac Luke is one option to replace McCullough, with reports suggesting he could be pushed into the top 30 while Danny Levi has signed with Queensland Cup side North Devils and is another alternative.

Nathan Peats is also off-contract and looking for a new club while Cameron Smith’s future is also up in the air but $400,000 of cap space won’t do it, not that anyone knows if Smith would even consider joining Brisbane in the first place.

Internally there are options in both Jake Turpin and Cory Paix.

Given Brisbane are unlikely to contend for the premiership with their current line-up and with both Levi and Peats yet to establish themselves as consistent 80-minute players, a one-year deal is the most likely option.

It would give them an incentive to perform as well as remain consistent with the approach they were taking with McCullough.

Another option could be trying to convince Dragon Billy Brittain to move to Brisbane and fight for the starting spot, with his road to first grade seemingly blocked for the next three years if McCullough shifts to the Red V.

Brittain has not been given many chances to prove himself in NRL but was a standout in the lower grades, finishing 2019 as Canterbury Cup Player of the Year for Souths.

He finished that season ranked third in the competition for try-assists (15), second for line-break assists, (17), first for dummy-half runs (161), second for tackles (784) and produced the most receipts (2052).

Then Brisbane could turn their attention to long-term options next season, including Melbourne’s Brandon Smith if they had enough money.

The money though could also prove valuable in locking up centre Kotoni Staggs.

Fox League’s James Hooper reported in late January that Staggs would assess his options in the open market, with the 22-year old likely to cost rivals more than $700,000 per season.

It then emerged on Thursday that the Titans, Bulldogs and Eels are circling.

“Kotoni was probably the Broncos best player last season and we certainly see him as being a crucial part of our future plans at Brisbane,” Walters said at the time.

“We understand players may want to test their value on the market but we’re also very confident with what the Broncos can offer as a club.”

Brisbane have also been linked to luring over Walters’ son Billy and would not have to use all the money but the Tigers are resistant to releasing him.

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...s/news-story/54fc884e9ffd6072e7a31fc122c9059b

blacksafake

First Grade
Also posted this article in the Brittain thread as it mentions Billy Brittain. (text highlighted in article)

McCullough exit would free up $400k — here are the THREE ways Broncos could spend it

The release of Andrew McCullough could have major ramifications.

Andrew McCullough was not required to turn up to Broncos training on Thursday morning with his career at Brisbane seemingly reaching its end.

The headache for coach Kevin Walters though has just begun.

Walters revealed on Thursday that McCullough had been given time away from Broncos duties to mull over his future as he considers a move to rivals St. George Illawarra.

While insisting Brisbane do not want to see him go, Walters said they were only willing to offer McCullough a one-year deal before re-evaluating his long-term future at the club.

“Andrew as everyone knows has had an offer from a rival club so we’ve decided to let him sort himself out,” Walters said to reporters.

“We want a clear direction with our club and where we’re heading in the next few weeks and into round one so we’ve given Andrew a couple of days off to sort himself out and see where he wants to play for 2021 and beyond

“We’ve offered him for this year, we want to see him come back and play and play the way Andrew McCullough can and I’m sure his future will be bright when he can do that.”

The Dragons, on the other hand, are understood to have put a three-year offer on the table.

With McCullough’s exit seemingly nearing, the focus will then move towards who the Broncos could use his money to go after.

News Corp reports Brisbane will have $400,000 of free salary cap space if McCullough leaves as expected, having already paid him $200,000 over the past four months.

Issac Luke is one option to replace McCullough, with reports suggesting he could be pushed into the top 30 while Danny Levi has signed with Queensland Cup side North Devils and is another alternative.

Nathan Peats is also off-contract and looking for a new club while Cameron Smith’s future is also up in the air but $400,000 of cap space won’t do it, not that anyone knows if Smith would even consider joining Brisbane in the first place.

Internally there are options in both Jake Turpin and Cory Paix.

Given Brisbane are unlikely to contend for the premiership with their current line-up and with both Levi and Peats yet to establish themselves as consistent 80-minute players, a one-year deal is the most likely option.

It would give them an incentive to perform as well as remain consistent with the approach they were taking with McCullough.

Another option could be trying to convince Dragon Billy Brittain to move to Brisbane and fight for the starting spot, with his road to first grade seemingly blocked for the next three years if McCullough shifts to the Red V.

Brittain has not been given many chances to prove himself in NRL but was a standout in the lower grades, finishing 2019 as Canterbury Cup Player of the Year for Souths.

He finished that season ranked third in the competition for try-assists (15), second for line-break assists, (17), first for dummy-half runs (161), second for tackles (784) and produced the most receipts (2052).

Then Brisbane could turn their attention to long-term options next season, including Melbourne’s Brandon Smith if they had enough money.

The money though could also prove valuable in locking up centre Kotoni Staggs.

Fox League’s James Hooper reported in late January that Staggs would assess his options in the open market, with the 22-year old likely to cost rivals more than $700,000 per season.

It then emerged on Thursday that the Titans, Bulldogs and Eels are circling.

“Kotoni was probably the Broncos best player last season and we certainly see him as being a crucial part of our future plans at Brisbane,” Walters said at the time.

“We understand players may want to test their value on the market but we’re also very confident with what the Broncos can offer as a club.”

Brisbane have also been linked to luring over Walters’ son Billy and would not have to use all the money but the Tigers are resistant to releasing him.

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...s/news-story/54fc884e9ffd6072e7a31fc122c9059b
Would like to keep Billy

hewi

Bench
We can’t afford to let BB go IMO , if AM gets injured early in the season then the only other option I see is Hunt to hooker and Clune to half. I wouldn’t be giving him 3 years, 2 at most with a one year option our way. If Hook doesn’t get extended then we are stuck with him for another year.

We can’t afford to let BB go IMO , if AM gets injured early in the season then the only other option I see is Hunt to hooker and Clune to half. I wouldn’t be giving him 3 years, 2 at most with a one year option our way. If Hook doesn’t get extended then we are stuck with him for another year.
Hunt to hooker, Clune to half is still the combo I would like to see most.

My issue with Hunt is that he doesn't communicate his plays, they are off the cuff and often panicky. Can this change late in career? Would be surprised.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Can anyone explain the reasoning behind Hunt as a full time hooker, please?
You just have to look at his stats last year when starting in the role, he was ordinary.

I get the thinking that it creates a vacancy in the halves, but at what price!!

If you want Hunt as a hooking option he can become the NRL's highest paid #14.

Dorsai

Juniors
I still think Hunt could be dynamic at half. He has only had McIdiot since coming here so has really had no chance. He basically coached the skill out of every player we have to a fair degree. The hooker experiment was only because he saw him being played there at origin and must have thought that sounds good.

I think we need to give him at least a chance under a real coach. Yeah, if he does not perform, then we need to look at other options, but lets see. Its obvious Griffin is not going to be best pals with the players. If they actually have to work for a spot we may see something different. I am happy to wait and see before deciding.

some11

Referee
AM also did his ACL a few years ago and has come back ok
He also tore his hamstring off the bone last year.

Shane Shackleton did the same thing a while back and only managed 4 games the following season before calling it quits.

Griffin absolutely has a boys club, he's giving Andrew a nice retirement package like Bennett gifted Boyd.

Maddragon99

Juniors
He also tore his hamstring off the bone last year.

Shane Shackleton did the same thing a while back and only managed 4 games the following season before calling it quits.

Griffin absolutely has a boys club, he's giving Andrew a nice retirement package like Bennett gifted Boyd.
For mine this entire episode has become a fiasco. If McCullough turns out to be a injury plagued failure then there will be a lot of finger pointing at Hook.

Can anyone explain the reasoning behind Hunt as a full time hooker, please?
You just have to look at his stats last year when starting in the role, he was ordinary.

I get the thinking that it creates a vacancy in the halves, but at what price!!

If you want Hunt as a hooking option he can become the NRL's highest paid #14.
Well my thinking is this: poor game management and poor cohesion in attack were at the core of our failings last year. Until Hunt is removed from the halves, I fear the same again. Stat interpretation aside, most consider Hunt a very competent hooker.

Latest posts