What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McCullough

George Sancti

Juniors
Ben Hunt is a quality player and I believe will be part of the first grade team. Whether he plays half or hooker will most likely be determined by other players. If AM is recruited and plays well, Hunt will play half. However if the AM deal falls through or he plays poorly, then it is likely Hunt will play hooker and either Adam Clune or Jayden Sullivan will be used as half.

In relation to Corey Norman, he will be given the opportunity to fire at 5/8 and if he fails, I expect that it will be a one way ticket to the seconds and most likely Jayden Sullivan will be his replacement playing alongside either Hunt or Clune.

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt backs old mate McCullough to recapture top form in Wollongong
Dragons Den
r0_0_4887_3258_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

COMEBACK: Injury hampered Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough's on-loan time at Newcastle last season. Picture: Max Mason-Hubers
THE Dragons pursuit of veteran Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough has raised eyebrows, but former teammate Ben Hunt is confident his former NYC skipper can recapture his best under Anthony Griffin in Wollongong.

The respective clubs are yet to confirm McCullough's long mooted switch to the Dragons but it appears fait accompli, with reports hinting at a three-year deal. It comes just a week after the club raised the ire of fans in letting beloved skipper Cam McInnes sign a four-year deal from next year with arch-rivals Cronulla without a fight.

At 31, McCullough is four years older than McInnes and on the comeback trail after tearing his hamstring off the bone while playing on loan for Newcastle last season. He had a year to run on his deal with the Broncos but reportedly issued an 'extend or release' ultimatum as the saga over his future dragged on.

His arrival would see McInnes shift to lock, though speculation is now rife that he could link with Cronulla a year early after signing with the Sharks to play in the No. 13 jumper. The circumstances will place plenty of pressure on McCullough's shoulders, but Hunt has no doubt his good mate will bounce back from recent setbacks.

"It'd be nice, I've heard it's in the making and it'd be nice to have him here," Hunt said.

"He brings a lot Macca. He brings a lot of leadership, he's obviously been around the game a long time and he's very professional about everything he does on and off the field. I know he's had a couple of injuries now but I think the hamstring one is just a bit of a freak thing.

"I definitely back him to get back to playing the best footy he can. He's good for the culture of the club, he was always involved in everything culture-wise when I was at the Broncos. He won't just be a smart footy head, he'll be helping off the field as well."

Read more: McInnes all class in addressing Dragons exit

With or without McInnes on deck, McCullough's arrival leaves Hunt certain to start the season in his preferred No. 7 jumper, though he'd already been given that nod by Griffin in their first conversation after he was anointed Dragons coach.

"I'll be playing halfback, it's the only place I've trained all preseason and it's the position Hook's said he wants me to play so it's all systems go for number seven at this stage," Hunt said.

"Just after Hook signed on to coach he gave me a call and we had a good chat about things at the club and what's going on. He said to me straight up that he wants me to play number seven and that's where he sees me playing my best footy. We've just got on with it from there.

"It's good to have the full support and the coaching staff are really behind you and driving you to be better in that position. It's not getting comfortable, but it's just feeling more secure and confident in my role.

"He's been driving those things he knows I can do well. If he sees something I'm not doing at training he knows I can do he'll be into me on that. It's just kind of picked up from where we finished all those years ago."

It's a marked change from his nomadic journey around the team sheet last season as the club's controversial 'selection committee' saw him play in the halves, at hooker and from the bench.

It was something perhaps only former coach Paul McGregor found more frustrating, ultimately prompting him to depart, and Hunt's welcomed the clarity of the "once voice" Griffin has provided.

"I want to play seven but, at the end of the day, I want to play footy," Hunt said.

"If it's in a different position that's the way it is, but it does get frustrating at times. There was a lot going on last year and, at the end of the day, it was probably the players' fault.

"We weren't winning games so there had to be something done, but it does make it easier when you've just got one voice calling the shots and everyone buying into what he wants to do and the vision he has. It does makes things a bit clearer."

Who partners Hunt in the halves is another question, with Corey Norman currently embroiled in an off-field investigation into his alleged involvement in a Cronulla street brawl. It's still in the hands of the Integrity Unit, but it could leave him facing an early-season suspension.

Should that occur, Adam Clune and Jayen Sullivan will be vying for a spot, though young gun Junior Amone has also thrown his hat in the ring.

"I feel for [Norman] in this situation because it's a bit of a tough one," Hunt said.

"I'm hoping it'll be all sweet. He's training really well at the moment and he's eager to get out and prove himself as well. He turned 30 the other day and he's in an [off] contract year so he's pretty keen to play some good footy.

"The [other] boys are going really well. We've had a fair bit of time running against each other and with each other now both [Clune and Sullivan], and even young Junior who's just come in is training really well as well.

"We've got a fair bit of depth in the position now so it's always healthy to have some competition."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-to-recapture-top-form-in-wollongong/?cs=3713

This Year?

Immortal
I'm still puzzled why people are so quick to slot Hunt into hooker when he was brought specifically as a halfback. In the QLD team it works because they have rep quality forwards who make it much easier for him and better halves to control play. Personally I don't want Hunt between 2 positions which would make a chiropractor nervous in our fragile team. Hunt is our highest paid player and should be our main man, not a utility. It's no surprise his form is down because he has no stability in his position.
Shifting Hunt between half and hooker basically blocks any chance of BB and the young hopefuls getting any game time, so I'm praying it won't happen after the of signing AM.

Let’s all just wait and see what happens.
He could end up very average or could be very strong for us.
Remember he played as hooker for the Knights last year for 8 games out of there first 10 games from memory.
After round 10 the Knights were sitting high up the ladder with 6 wins and a draw, only 3 losses.
When he got injured they did lose there way last year and were very inconsistent and average in games.
Maybe he is a very good game manager which is what we need. Who knows (Hook hopefully).

BLM01

First Grade
He also tore his hamstring off the bone last year.

Shane Shackleton did the same thing a while back and only managed 4 games the following season before calling it quits.

Griffin absolutely has a boys club, he's giving Andrew a nice retirement package like Bennett gifted Boyd.
Luke O'Donnell did too when playing for the Tigers. He come back AOK

denis preston

First Grade
Let’s all just wait and see what happens.
He could end up very average or could be very strong for us.
Remember he played as hooker for the Knights last year for 8 games out of there first 10 games from memory.
After round 10 the Knights were sitting high up the ladder with 6 wins and a draw, only 3 losses.
When he got injured they did lose there way last year and were very inconsistent and average in games.
Maybe he is a very good game manager which is what we need. Who knows (Hook hopefully).

Oh, a bit of common sense on his worth right there !

getsmarty

Immortal
brailey-j-200314102sm.jpg

KNIGHTS

McCullough's stint leaves lasting legacy for Brailey
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 14 Feb 2021, 06:01 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Share on social media
The future of Broncos veteran Andrew McCullough has almost been settled but his eight-game stint at the Knights last year has left a lasting impression on Jayden Brailey.

McCullough returned to the Broncos in November as part of an agreement between the two clubs and ahead of Brailey's return from an ACL injury this season.

McCullough was an astute signing as a replacement for Brailey midway through the year, but he soon joined the Knights rake on the sidelines following a season-ending hamstring injury.

While 31-year-old McCullough is closing in on securing a long-term deal with St George Illawarra, his short stint with the Knights could prove pivotal for Brailey.

The pair spent ample time in rehabilitation together, while they both watched on as the Knights scraped towards their first finals appearance in seven years.

"I didn't know Macca until he came to the club and I wouldn't have picked it when he first arrived but he's probably one of my best mates now," Brailey told NRL.com.

"He was huge to have around the place and with my rehab as he'd been in that position before with his own knee.

"I was able to pick his brain about some of the things he does on the field and the durability he has in his game that I'd admired from afar.

"We formed a really good relationship off the field and I'm hoping to be a better player and take a few things away from him."

Brailey's career on the field at Newcastle may only be two games old but that hasn't stopped the Knights from identifying him as a candidate to be the club's next captain.

The 24-year-old was included in Newcastle's five-man leadership group last month after arriving in the Hunter last season.

Brailey was often seen engaged in the coaches' box alongside Adam O'Brien and assistants Willie Peters and David Furner during games, analysing the Knights' performances from a different perspective.

"I watched more football than I have ever have done before last year," Brailey said.

"I was able to see where I could've injected myself into the play and hear what the coaches were saying and their thinking.

"You just watch it from a different level, you see the open space or overlaps being created you may not see when you're in the thick of things.

"Hopefully that will help me make the team better this year."

The experience could be set to pay off, too, with Brailey yet to play under the six-again and ruck infringement rule changes that were introduced by the NRL in May last year.

In 2019, Brailey averaged just 2.8 runs from dummy half in his final season at the Sharks, an area he wants to improve.

"I'll get a feel for it in the trial and first couple of games, hopefully, it suits me and can allow me to get out a little bit more," Brailey said.

"Watching how teams went about it last year it definitely helps us as little guys find a bit more room around the middle.

"I've worked my arse off the last 9-10 months. The physios at the Knights have gone above and beyond to make sure I'm ready to go and I haven't missed a session at all this pre-season.

"I've got full confidence and want to make the most of it."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/14/mcculloughs-stint-leaves-lasting-legacy-for-brailey/

P.S Thanks @RufusRex

denis preston

First Grade
brailey-j-200314102sm.jpg

KNIGHTS

McCullough's stint leaves lasting legacy for Brailey
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 14 Feb 2021, 06:01 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Share on social media
The future of Broncos veteran Andrew McCullough has almost been settled but his eight-game stint at the Knights last year has left a lasting impression on Jayden Brailey.

McCullough returned to the Broncos in November as part of an agreement between the two clubs and ahead of Brailey's return from an ACL injury this season.

McCullough was an astute signing as a replacement for Brailey midway through the year, but he soon joined the Knights rake on the sidelines following a season-ending hamstring injury.

While 31-year-old McCullough is closing in on securing a long-term deal with St George Illawarra, his short stint with the Knights could prove pivotal for Brailey.

The pair spent ample time in rehabilitation together, while they both watched on as the Knights scraped towards their first finals appearance in seven years.

"I didn't know Macca until he came to the club and I wouldn't have picked it when he first arrived but he's probably one of my best mates now," Brailey told NRL.com.

"He was huge to have around the place and with my rehab as he'd been in that position before with his own knee.

"I was able to pick his brain about some of the things he does on the field and the durability he has in his game that I'd admired from afar.

"We formed a really good relationship off the field and I'm hoping to be a better player and take a few things away from him."

Think that Hook wants him , apart from his game management on the field , as fundamental to changing the culture at the club off the field ?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
No mention of wages. Hopefully seeing they are guaranteeing him 3 years pay, it is not too much.

With 2 more spots available, it will be interesting who they target now. Hopefully some forwards but unfortunately there are no good ones available.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
We continue to sign rejects or players who have suffered serious injuries and that's why they call us the Saints.

McCullough if fit, will be an asset though in my opinion.

For what it's worth, the Bronco's fans I work with are spewing over losing McCullogh. Their opinion is that it's a way to get young Walters into the side, but given he does 10 tackles a game compared to McCullogh's 40 it's not a good move.