What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Jane Murray

Bench
I know we are all happy around our re-signings and all but we still have to have 29 players to fill our salary cap requirements. We are a week out from our first trial and still so much uncertainty around our roster going forward. It’s not a positive, we shouldn’t be in this position from my perspective.
Mr positivity has resurfaced. Maybe they are using the upcoming trail matches to see what players they want in the top side. To me, that is a positive, not a negative.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Personally I think we are in a better place than we have been for a long time.
Very little off field scandal, a strong and stable first grade squad and we have very good depth.
We may not have all the numbers finalised but we are obviously are not panic buying and are negotiating with a plan in mind from a position of strength.

Yes and no mate.

We are only a few short weeks away from the season proper and we still have three, four or more roster spots to fill.

Put whatever spin you want but it is not ideal in my opinion.

Ideally you want your roster training together, playing together not coming in at the last minute which seems inevitable now,

I tend to think our off season could have and should have been better.

Blade23

Juniors
I know we are all happy around our re-signings and all but we still have to have 29 players to fill our salary cap requirements. We are a week out from our first trial and still so much uncertainty around our roster going forward. It’s not a positive, we shouldn’t be in this position from my perspective.

They have changed the rules. 28 players by March 1. Not 29.
We have 25. The remaining spots will be filled by juniors (likely after trials) and fringe players bought in. 1 or 2.
Unless we get struck down by injuries or the Dogs bend over and give us Napa no one coming in the remaining spots will play round 1.

Momirovski has been here a little over a week and has taken to the side like a duck to water.
It would have been good to see a full pre season with him.

Tetevano’s departure was unplanned and stuffed things up. In saying that him going helped us upgrade Leniu this year and keep him.
Any players the club bring in are carefully considered.
The club has had a lot to deal with the past 3 months with vultures pushing up prices and making things difficult. The priority has been retention. Which apart from Burton, the club have retained all they wanted to keep.
I think they have done ok with the tight numbers they have had to work with.

Kilkenny

Coach
We have 25. The remaining spots will be filled by juniors (likely after trials) and fringe players bought in. 1 or 2.
Unless we get struck down by injuries or the Dogs bend over and give us Napa no one coming in the remaining spots will play round 1.

Momirovski has been here a little over a week and has taken to the side like a duck to water.

Tetevano’s departure was unplanned and stuffed things up. In saying that him going helped us upgrade Leniu this year and keep him.
The club has had a lot to deal with the past 3 months with vultures pushing up prices and making things difficult. The priority has been retention. Which apart from Burton, the club have retained all they wanted to keep.

That’s all fine and dandy. Tough times I guess. The salary cap is a difficult beast to
manage.

We are light on in the engine room, forwards win matches so the saying goes and I fear we are really light on in the front row.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Yes and no mate.

We are only a few short weeks away from the season proper and we still have three, four or more roster spots to fill.

Ideally you want your roster training together, playing together not coming in at the last minute which seems inevitable now,

Best off season I can remember honestly. Nailed almost every move

Kilkenny

Coach
Which they know and are bringing a prop in.

I’m in no way of being critical of you mate, I’m just concerned at this point, two or three weeks out from the start of the season proper who can we bring in that is truly going to add value to our roster? Seriously, we somehow work out a swap for say Dylan Napa when we should have just kept Jack. More upside with Jack for probably the same money. I don’t get it. We’ve shed Jack, Tamou and Tetevano and our front row roster is far weakened from last season. Doesn’t matter who we bring in now our front row roster is much less than it was last season.

WestyLife

First Grade
Yes and no mate.

Normally I'd agree under the title of being realistic but I feel pretty comfortable. I think we have a good year coming and Nathan will further surprise a lot of people.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Considering the above things you've mentioned Blade the club has done very well to be in the position it now is in.

I'm sure a lot of work and due dilgence has gone into the club being in this state too.

For the 1st time in many years Penrith are now the hunted, instead of hunting.

Personally I would like to see development clubs such as Penrith get salary cap relief to help with allying some of the costs of developing players. with

(Cause I'm sure the costs involved in developing, sourcing, training juniors is high).

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
Best off season I can remember honestly. Nailed almost every move

Simply not true, Far from it. It’s been a really poor off season.

We’ve retained a number of players, all good there, but have a look at the outgoings.

The Crichton, Luai, Yeo, resigning mirror the RCG, Blake, Moylan re-signings.

Why is it any different?

Kilkenny

Coach
Which they know and are bringing a prop in.
Lets wait until the roster is complete.

I understand that, agree 100% but we are doing business two or three weeks out from the start of the season proper and frankly that is not good business or the way things should be done. Again I understand we were thrust unto a difficult position given our unexpected success in 2020 but I’m just not persuaded we have been as good in terms of our recruitment and retention as some seem to be convinced.

Blade23

Juniors
I’m in no way of being critical of you mate, I’m just concerned at this point, two or three weeks out from the start of the season proper who can we bring in that is truly going to add value to our roster? Seriously, we somehow work out a swap for say Dylan Napa when we should have just kept Jack. More upside with Jack for probably the same money. I don’t get it. We’ve shed Jack, Tamou and Tetevano and our front row roster is far weakened from last season. Doesn’t matter who we bring in now our front row roster is much less than it was last season.

None taken mate.
Ivan didn't rate Hetherington. Didn't like the wage he was on either.
Tamou and Tetevano are losses.
I would have loved to have kept Tamou. I can see from afar what positive influence he has had already on the Tigers. He will be missed. On and off the field.

I expect Leota and Leniu to go to another level this year to fill some of the breach. Eisenhuth will be solid and Martin's future is in the middle, he will most likely play middle and edge this year. Lindsay Smith will come into calculations later in the year.
Sorensen could even play a bit of middle if needed.
We do need 1 more good option for balance but with limited funds it won't be a class player. We are paying for the sins of paying players like RCG and Blake at other clubs. Take that out of the equation and we get the player we need.
Still there are clubs right now shopping players around weeks out from round 1.
Canberra landed a great budget buy in Nicholl Klokstad a few years back weeks out from round 1.
With a bit of patience and a bit of luck we might come up with the player we need to round out our pack.

Blade23

Juniors
Considering the above things you've mentioned Blade the club has done very well to be in the position it now is in.

I'm sure a lot of work and due dilgence has gone into the club being in this state too.

For the 1st time in many years Penrith are now the hunter, instead of hunting.

Personally I would like to see development clubs such as Penrith get salary cap relief to help with allying some of the costs of developing players. with

(Cause I'm sure the costs involved in developing, sourcing, training juniors is high).

Don't get me started on salary cap concessions for developing talent. I will be up all night ;)

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Simply not true, Far from it. It’s been a really poor off season.

We’ve retained a number of players, all good there, but have a look at the outgoings.

The Crichton, Luai, Yeo, resigning mirror the RCG, Blake, Moylan re-signings.

Why is it any different?

To say 'it's simply not true' what part is not true......

RCG, Blake and were re-signed for 5 years, I don't believe any of the new re-signings are getting 5 year deals. I understand these were deals that Gould did towards his time at Penrith.

I've been told that Critta's deal is for 2 years + this years upgrade......

Yeo's was a 3 year deal. Not a 5 year deal in sight. I understand that all deals were ablut market value for these players too.

Are you perhaps jumping at shadows ?

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Don't get me started on salary cap concessions for developing talent. I will be up all night ;)

I'd love to see it happen......But sadly I think I'll be waiting a while for it to happen. It would encourage clubs to develop juniors, instead of leaving it for one or two clubs to carry the load.

Latest posts