What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

Coffee scroll biscuits. I used to have these all the time when I went over to see my Grandparents.

I haven't had one in a long time.

Coffee+Scroll+1.jpg

A quality biscuit.

Loved Arnotts Fruit and Nut too.
A7989ABD-057F-4CEB-91EB-821504A4711A.jpeg 2EB9F7B9-59E4-4C56-95A4-4E14891B9C0D.jpeg

horrie hastings

First Grade
I have lots of memories from Long Jetty as a child as we used to holiday up there at one of my aunties, it was even before we had a car, we would catch the train up to Gosford then get one of the red buses to Long Jetty. Back then in the late 60s you could actually swim in the lake, it wasn't weed infested like it is now, if we wanted an ocean beach we would walk up to Blue Bay or Toowoon Bay but the lake was good back then for swimming or paddling. At night we would go prawning with the drag nets and kerosene lanterns.

this is what the lake looked like then

7f25a239cfc78e2e937213d61efb2dbe.jpg

Even though this pic was taken years before we used to swim, fish and prawn there , this is how i remember the lake and jetties.

long-jetty-the-entrance-jetty-jetties-longest-jett61.jpg

I have lots of memories from Long Jetty as a child as we used to holiday up there at one of my aunties, it was even before we had a car, we would catch the train up to Gosford then get one of the red buses to Long Jetty. Back then in the late 60s you could actually swim in the lake, it wasn't weed infested like it is now, if we wanted an ocean beach we would walk up to Blue Bay or Toowoon Bay but the lake was good back then for swimming or paddling. At night we would go prawning with the drag nets and kerosene lanterns.

this is what the lake looked like then

View attachment 45888

Even though this pic was taken years before we used to swim, fish and prawn there , this is how i remember the lake and jetties.

View attachment 45889

Netting prawns was/is great fun. We would do it when we stayed at Narrabeen caravan park.

In Perth we would snorkel for blue swimmers which was great fun too.

Zadar

Juniors
Old school rego stickers... with these, you never forgot to re-register your car unlike modern days.

images

images

I once drove around for about 8 weeks unregistered - thinking my rego was due in February but was actually December (my “2nd” car was due in feb instead).

I still don’t know the thinking of getting rid of them. Was it an environmental thing?

I still don’t know the thinking of getting rid of them. Was it an environmental thing?

Everything going "Online", less mail/production etc etc.

Sounds good in theory but for many folk (like me), you aren't as attentive to online info - which can be lost in a world of absolute noise and bombardment of useless stuff that ends up in an inbox. Or - like my car rego renewal notifications from years ago, ended up in my junkmail - which I didnt see - thus was driving around in a car without rego for a few months..

Parra

Referee
Everything going "Online", less mail/production etc etc.

Sounds good in theory but for many folk (like me), you aren't as attentive to online info - which can be lost in a world of absolute noise and bombardment of useless stuff that ends up in an inbox. Or - like my car rego renewal notifications from years ago, ended up in my junkmail - which I didnt see - thus was driving around in a car without rego for a few months..

Getting those original 1970 version ones off was a prick of a job. People ended up with multiple labels running down the window.

Old school rego stickers... with these, you never forgot to re-register your car unlike modern days.

images

images

I once drove around for about 8 weeks unregistered - thinking my rego was due in February but was actually December (my “2nd” car was due in feb instead).

I still have all my stickers 2002 - 2011 except 2009. All filed with the corresponding paperwork. What a boring merkin I am.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

but its not revenue raising

^^^

A Transport for NSW spokeswoman said it is the driver's "sole responsibility" to pay registration and update their details, within 14 days of any change.

Registration renewal reminders are sent to all drivers about six weeks before expiry, the spokeswoman said.

In 2018/19 a Service NSW "system error" sent 390,000 fewer registration reminder letters than 2017/18 but not getting a reminder is not a valid excuse to avoid a fine.

John Gooley, a senior lawyer at Stacks Collins Thompson in Hornsby, said people often try to argue they didn't get rego reminders but the courts have almost no leniency even when a client has tried to do the right thing.

horrie hastings

First Grade
View attachment 46087
Not well known but a group of cats lived high up on the Southern pylon of the Sydney harbour bridge in the sixties and into the seventies.

Probably bumped into Hoges.

Little paw prints in the paint I guess. 10 cent toll both ways I think.

I remember my father telling me about the cats living at the pylon of the harbour bridge but i never got to see them, they appeared in the 50s at some stage and were around in the 60s may have been there in the early 70s also but not sure, i never went up the pylon till in the 80s and the cats were long gone by then.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I can remember seeing the Birdman at Kings Cross when i was very young, i remember the 31 flavour ice cream parlour across from the El Alamein fountain and having licorice flavour, very exotic in the late 60s.

gettyimages-1080788026-2048x2048.jpg gettyimages-1081044022-2048x2048.jpg