What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Sports documentaries

mongoose

Coach
I haven't watched that many to be honest so wanted a thread where people can post their favourites and recommendations. (sorry if theres already a thread for this)

I just rewatched the Mike Tyson one ("Tyson" 2008). Definitely worth watching. Lots is insight from the man himself into his career in and out of the ring. Kind of weird how articulate he is...

Parra

Referee
Free Solo
Tim Richmond on 30 for 30
Formula 1 : Drive to Survive
The Devil at Your Heels

Last edited:
30 for 30 - Hit it Hard (John Daly). My favourite of all time.

A lot of other 30 for 30's mentioned here too are great. They do the best doco's for mine, even so much that I can enjoy the american sports ones I don't follow (eg College Basketball).

Others I rate highly.

• Senna
  • Tyson
  • The Test
  • Lauda vs Hunt (on Amazon Prime)
  • Losers - The Jaws of Victory (Netflix)
There's probably a bunch of others that will pop into my head I've overlooked. But of the ones above.

• Hit it Hard is predominantly told by John Daly, warts and all, along with those who know him. Wow, what a ride this bloke has had. But no regrets. I'd prefer to watch docos like this and Tyson (below) over ones like The Last Dance as these are on people who have their flaws - humans. Not just the superstar athlete who's won it all.
  • Senna was absolutely brilliant, I'm due for a re-run.
  • Tyson, similar to what @mongoose said, is a must watch, Purely in his words so no spin or commentary and gives you a true insight into one of the biggest sporting figures on the planet.
  • The Test is an outstanding and enthralling doco - even though you know the team results of the time the insight is first class and like nothing before. It's easily the best Australian sports doco I've seen. But when I think of it, sports doco's aren't something we've done lots of, or even that well when we have.
  • Lauda Vs Hunt is more insight and facts around the 1976 GP season as depicted in Rush. If you liked Rush, you'll love this.
  • Losers - The Jaws of Victory. A little-known series on Netflix I watched one rainy arvo and happened across this story of the Torquay football team (UK). It's an absolute gem of a story, and stands out to me as one of the most enjoyable finds I've made on Netflix. If you haven't seen it - do yourself a favour (even if you don't follow Soccer - I'm certain you'll love this).

Last edited:

simmo05

Bench
Watched one about 8 years ago on the safety in formula one racing in what I think was the 70s? The amount of drivers who burned to death was huge, and the final footage of a crash with the car on fire, and a fellow racer trying to save him and failing was f**king harrowing.

Wizardman

First Grade
I haven't watched that many to be honest so wanted a thread where people can post their favourites and recommendations. (sorry if theres already a thread for this)

I just rewatched the Mike Tyson one ("Tyson" 2008). Definitely worth watching. Lots is insight from the man himself into his career in and out of the ring. Kind of weird how articulate he is...
One of the biggest myths in popular culture is that Mike is a dickhead. Tyson is definitely rough around the edges but is a huge reader and quite bright.

Wizardman

First Grade
I have two that I just can't split.

When we were Kings: I have seen it about 5 times or so.....got goosebumps everytime I saw it I think. Truly a great tribute to one of the greatest athletes of all time.

The Trials of Oscar Pistorius: This documentary is absolutely brilliant yet so little people seem to have seen it. As powerfully inspiring as "When we were Kings" was, this doco was even more powerful but in a very bleak way.
I love how the producers absolutely do not try to influence you as to Oscar's innocence or guilt. It simply presents the facts and allows the viewer to make up their mind. It also takes you through his youth and incredible sporting career.

Parra

Referee
Watched one about 8 years ago on the safety in formula one racing in what I think was the 70s? The amount of drivers who burned to death was huge, and the final footage of a crash with the car on fire, and a fellow racer trying to save him and failing was f**king harrowing.

David Purley trying to save Roger Williamson. Harrowing is right. An incredible piece of film where you witness and feel a huge range of emotions. It is a travesty. The footage is on youtube and is tough to watch.

David Purley trying to save Roger Williamson. Harrowing is right. An incredible piece of film where you witness and feel a huge range of emotions. It is a travesty. The footage is on youtube and is tough to watch.

Yep those are the guys in that footage, and in the doco @simmo05 mentioned. Saw that doco also... it was just so harrowing and left you feeling just useless..

Purley trying to desperately wave down other drivers to assist with saving his mate (apparently screaming from the car in flames) as the “safety Marshalls” were so drastically ill-equipped to deal with a fire like that....

But then to learn that the drivers going past thought that the car on fire was actually Purleys and hed escaped but was “warning them”... which you can understand....

That whole era of F1 was just off the charts....

But there’s also a similar series on “the death years” in Rallying. It’s just as eye opening but also more harrowing in my view. Especially when you see the footage of crowds on the road only to part when a car was flying toward them.... it was a sign of manhood in the crowd back then to stand as long as you can before getting off as a Lancia or Quattro beared down on you.

Many drivers lost their lives but so many spectators did also.

Last edited:

When we were Kings: I have seen it about 5 times or so.....got goosebumps everytime I saw it I think. Truly a great tribute to one of the greatest athletes of all time.

The Trials of Oscar Pistorius: This documentary is absolutely brilliant yet so little people seem to have seen it. As powerfully inspiring as "When we were Kings" was, this doco was even more powerful but in a very bleak way.
I love how the producers absolutely do not try to influence you as to Oscar's innocence or guilt. It simply presents the facts and allows the viewer to make up their mind. It also takes you through his youth and incredible sporting career.

Pistorius doco was enthralling. There’s two about I’ve seen, the 30 for 30 one the pick (the other I saw on Amazon). Agree with your synopsis..

I found myself changing my thought on guilt or not a number of times...

Dogs Of War

Coach
Adding to those not mentioned.

A perfect day - Steve Waughs last test match when he got the 100 in the final session of day 4. I suppose I really loved cricket at that point, and it brought back memories. Every man and his dog was ringing me to get down to the pub to watch that session.

30 for 30 as pointed out do some great ones.
Tommy - The boxer from Rocky 5 was an actual boxer who had potential. Watch it being wasted away.
42 to 1 - Buster Douglas's story. Was a great tale about the bloke.

1 - History of F1 in the "Golden Era"
King of Kong - Ok arcade machines may not be sport. But it was to these guys.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
My favourite 30 for 30 is "four days in october"

I was home very ill for that week it happened in 2004 and after seeing some promos on espn decided to watch this series with very little baseball knowledge before this. This is the reason i became a baseball and red sox fanand still am today and have been to fenway park for a game. Will never see anything like it ever again.

The "losers" series has some beauties in it. Was one on the 2015 grand final on youtube i cant find anymore that still pulled at the heart strings, one very special night that for a long time i thought would never happen

Game_Breaker

Coach

Another good Ali doco is Facing Ali. It's more about his opponents and what it was like stepping into the ring with him. Big names