What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tennis

Apey

Staff member
Quarter Finals ain't bad but seems like she lost the plot with the break of momentum. Happens a lot the old timeout comeback. Hell it's why Djokovic is still in the tournament.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Just saw the score did Barty choke again?

I didn't see the match because i was at work but there is a lot of talk happening about Muchova's medical time out when Barty was leading 6-1 and 2-1 in the second set with a break, Muchova complained of dizziness and took 10 minute medical time out then came back refreshed and then wiped Barty of the court. Casey Dellacqua said while it was within the rules it was ethically icky.

Last edited:

LatK7

First Grade
The capitulation from Fritz and Zverev against a mediocre Djokovic were among the worst I've seen, particularly Zverev. Thiem's performance was also inexcusable. The past two generations of mens players have been complete garbage. It's now been about a 7 year period without a young ATG, #1, multi slam winner.

I was thinking Federer was insane for looking to return nearing 40, over a year out after double knee surgery...but the field is so weak he's confident of success.

Djokovic should win the whole thing comfortably. Sleepwalking past Zverev and a qualifier (wtf?) will have him feeling physically fine by the final where he'll murder Nadal. Nadal's movement isn't great and he hasn't met a player who can even return his serve. Couple that with the low bounce and Djokovic will torment him.

I'd like to see Medvedev win the whole thing, but I don't think he's there ready to do it in bo5. He is however Djokovic's biggest threat if he plays to his abilities.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Every year the local hype train hots up early and then crashes out bigtime, early.

Barty was the first woman's player to make the Australian Open semi finals last year since Wendy Turnbull in 1984.
Last Australian winner was Chris O Neil in 1978 and last finalist was Wendy Turnbull in 1980.
Its been a long time between drinks.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Quarter Finals ain't bad but seems like she lost the plot with the break of momentum. Happens a lot the old timeout comeback. Hell it's why Djokovic is still in the tournament.

Was expecting Barty to get through to the semis again this year but wasn't sure whether she could actually win it after having the whole year off.

Apey

Staff member
Tsitsipas playing great but what the f**k was that service game by Nadal. Terrible.

LatK7

First Grade
Very well played from Tsitsipas. Was completely outplayed for almost 3 sets in what's been a bad match up. Then just took the ball earlier and hit bigger. Nadal had no answer. Choked badly in that tiebreaker too. He hasn't been very clutch the past couple of years, the joys of ageing.

Apey

Staff member
Very well played from Tsitsipas. Was completely outplayed for almost 3 sets in what's been a bad match up. Then just took the ball earlier and hit bigger. Nadal had no answer. Choked badly in that tiebreaker too. He hasn't been very clutch the past couple of years, the joys of ageing.
As a fan, I feel like ever since his major injury lay-offs in 15/16 he's been pretty iffy mentally and particularly untrustworthy in the clutch moments. Could just be my general pessimism though.

Tsitsipas was fantastic on his serve. Nadal... that was probably one of his worst losses ever. The break he gave was 3 - 4 consecutive unforced errors. Then that driving volley. Woeful.

LatK7

First Grade
As a fan, I feel like ever since his major injury lay-offs in 15/16 he's been pretty iffy mentally and particularly untrustworthy in the clutch moments. Could just be my general pessimism though.

Tsitsipas was fantastic on his serve. Nadal... that was probably one of his worst losses ever. The break he gave was 3 - 4 consecutive unforced errors. Then that driving volley. Woeful.

He's declined no doubt, but his improved serving and aggression has kept him very competitive on hardcourt and grass. Works against the entire field except Djokovic & Federer. He needs to blow players off the court quickly though as he gets tight and fades when he stops dictating play. It's happened to Federer recently too against the young players. They either win efficiently or go down in long, tight matches. Djokovic is holding firm, but the time will come when he slips up regularly. He's come very close to coming undone in big matches over the past 18 months or so.

But as a Nadal fan you've got nothing to worry about, he'll collect clay titles until the day he drops.

Rodney Rude

Juniors
Just watching the Osaka V Williams match and boy Osaka is an awesome player. IMO she is the number 1 player in the world by a long way.

LatK7

First Grade
Hard to see Djokovic losing here, he looks recovered from whatever was apparently bothering him. The improvement in his serve is impressive and should keep him at the top for a long while. I'm hoping Medvedev can make it through to the final as it has the potential to be a classic.

LatK7

First Grade
Djokovic in 4. He'll look to bring Medvedev in to the net as much as he can.

Very tidy performance from the Russian though. Getting through it quickly might give him a percentage point or two more of a chance.

Latest posts