What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

shiznit

Coach
Just watched Wandavision Ep 5.

without giving away any spoilers... that last reveal was both mind blowing and just confusing at the same time.

HOLYSHIT....

Matua

Bench
I think you are being a bit to broad in your thoughts.

Man of Steel was a decent film.

Batman v Superman? Yep, a mess.

Justice League? Passable but was plagued with problems off screen.

Aquaman? Success.

Wonder Woman? Success.

As such it is not all doom and gloom for DC, but I will grant you Marvel have been more consistent in churning out decent to good movies by comparison. Just that DC's successes are not just the Nolan Batman trilogy is all.
My rule of thumb with DC is the more Snyder is involved generally the worse the film is. Man of Steel is actually terrible, it's just that Batman v Superman is both bad and has Martha! It is all doom and gloom if Hack is heavily involved. Although, he has his fanbois' and they'll anoint the Snyder cut the greatest thing since sliced bread no matter what.

Then again I don't rate Nolan's trilogy as much as most. I'm a huge fan of his but DK 2 is easily his worst film, and DK 1 is saved by Ledgers performance.

Last Week

Bench
Because they tried to force through a connected universe without laying the groundwork.

They were going head to head with the Marvel films who had 15 odd films which had built that universe... Marvel’s stories had miles more depth and meaning because viewers were already invested through 20 odd hours of previous stories about these characters.

justice league we saw Aquaman, Flash and Cyborg for the first time. BvS we had a new Batman and a WW we had never seen before.

is it any surprise that the best films so far have been MoS, Aquaman, the first WW, Shazam and Joker.

none of them are interlinked... they SHOULD have done Justice League after they finished the upcoming Flash film.

but WB’s saw Marvel/Disney rolling out massive hit after massive hit and rushed through their own cinematic universe which came out forced...

if they truly wanted to make a DC universe quickly without building it completely they really should have thrown everything at Nolan and Bale to continue on off of the Dark Knight Trilogy... MoS could have been next with WW after that... then BvS could have been Cavil’s Superman vs Bale’s Batman.

instead they rushed through what ended up being a hot mess...

From memory, WB offered Bale $150million and he turned it down. Bale was done with Batman.

Last Week

Bench
I nearly gave up on Wandervision after the second episode. Was truly over it.

But wow. I can't wait to see where they go from here.

shiznit

Coach
From memory, WB offered Bale $150million and he turned it down. Bale was done with Batman.
IMO... you offer enough money that he becomes not done with Batman... :joy::joy:

I mean Disney ended up giving RDJ like 8 to 10% of film revenue for the later MCU films which after all the films he’s made for them comes to something like 400+ Million dollar’s in total... as I remember seeing someone recently estimate...

or maybe if it’s not money... it’s about WB’s green lighting a smaller labour of love film for Bale like WB’s did for George Clooney’s black and white film project that he directed which was apparently only green lit because Clooney said yes to doing Oceans 13.

IMO you just figure it out.. :joy::joy:

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
$150m for how many movies?That's nearly the budget of one movie.

At any rate Bale wouldn't have saved the tosh that was Man of Steel and Batman v Superman. And one of his Batman films was straight up bad, one was decent, and one was good but more due to the villain.

I don't think Bale on his own is a drawcard over Batman the character, it's not the same as RDJ and Iron Man, IMHO of course.