What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Sports documentaries

Willie Ray

Bench
there's also an older one with Ali,Frazier,Foreman,Holmes and Norton
in a gym with Reggie Jackson doing the interviews,
it's called " Champions Forever"...
great doco.

T-Boon

Coach
there is one on LeBron James high school career which is pretty good. A good look at how huge high school sports are in the USA.

Too Fast to Race - Group B rally cars from the 80's . Incredible. Mad spectators as mentioned above
Bad Boats - top fuel hydro boats Here is a taste

That Rally Footage.....

You've got a driver, guided by a navigator, negotiating a rally course (not a track which repeats itself per lap), on loose gravel/dirt.... with all those people on the side of the road, and on the actual road itself at times......

I remember seeing footage like this on the old Wide World of Sports as a kid, and it looked cool. Now you just shake your head and think... "What the F*** were they thinking letting that happen?!?!?!"

The mind just absolutely boggles.

Driving that road would be hard enough. But even though drivers at that level have the capacity for absolute, unequivocal focus, to know that one slight mistake could lead to your car plowing into/through/over spectators is just uncomprehendable...

blue bags

First Grade

the training was called, by the soviets, kill a Canadian:)
had to sneak up to a glass of water lol

Last edited:

azzah72

Bench
Most people have covered that the 30 for 30s are great.

I liked Rodmans one alot. Great Doco.

Another that was really interesting was Ric flairs.

Not technically a sport obviously but it might be one of the biggest rollercoaster lives I've ever seen and he is f**kin raw in it, doesn't hold back and it's hilarious and then heartbreaking at times.

Highly recommended.

Valheru

Coach
Another vote for 30 for 30. Just pick something you are mildly interested in and go for it, you can't go wrong.

For pro wrestling fans there are a heap of outstanding docos on the WWE network and even for non wrestling fans there are a few worth checking out. The triumph and tragedy of WCCW is phenomenal. You couldn't write fiction to match the real life story of the family involved.

Most people have covered that the 30 for 30s are great.

I liked Rodmans one alot. Great Doco.

Another that was really interesting was Ric flairs.

Not technically a sport obviously but it might be one of the biggest rollercoaster lives I've ever seen and he is f**kin raw in it, doesn't hold back and it's hilarious and then heartbreaking at times.

Highly recommended.

Yep The Nature Boy was a fantastic watch. Stories like his, Jon Daly's, Denis Rodman's... those are the ones that really grab me - Brutal honesty where their lives are an epic mix of triumphs, failures, but also resilience.

Parra

Referee
The Power and the Glory was a fantastic TV doco series in the 90's. Covered the history of motorsport.

I don't watch basketball at all. I've seen a couple of docos on Magic Johnson - I had no idea what a fantastic player, teammate and game changer he was. Pretty sure one of them was a 30 for 30.

soc123_au

Staff member
All of the motorsports ones already mentioned & add Rally, The Killer Years.

The footage of Purley at the 73 Dutch GP is unforgettable. I don't think I've ever seen such absolute despair from a man captured on film like that. Also such bravery. My eyes are getting a bit moist just thinking about it.

blue bags

First Grade

this video is a must watch for any footie fan, full doco on green bay packers, Vince Lombardi​

Last edited: