What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Captaincy :Poisoned Chalice

Dragon David

First Grade
Fair enough, your view is understood. Agree, risky.

I’ve seen plenty of unlikely people become great leaders when given the opportunity as well as plenty that were disasters.

Hoping this can give Ben the confidence that will be a game changer. I reckon Captaincy would have taken Soward to the next level too, just not the right timing for that back then.

I’m optimistic this could work with Capt Hunt.
Ben Hornby (BH) was our half back and captain and we won a premiership with him as such. Another BH in Ben Hunt could again be our answer to leading us to glory. You never know until you try it!!

TruSaint

Referee
Huge risk IMO. I’ve never seen any leadership traits in the guy, he is more reserved and happy to be in the background. To now have him thrust into captaincy role, plus leading the team around the park as playmaker , plus fronting media and post match games is a big responsibility. Did we ever see him backing Cam over the last few years when the chips were down? Did we see him rev up the guys when we were behind the eight ball. All I ever saw was the nervous smile, when he kicked out on the full. He was like the rest of the players, acting like browns cows behind the goal posts...speeches & staring at the grass.
What does it say about the Club and the leadership group....not much.
Happy to be proven wrong, but I’m very sceptical....

As crazy as it sounds, I think all the pitfalls re Hunt you mentioned are the very reason Griffin selected him.

Sometimes, it takes being thrust into leadership to bring the best out of ones game. I believe that is what the coach is aiming for. Your description of Hunt's body language is spot on, and that needs to change.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Huge risk IMO. I’ve never seen any leadership traits in the guy, he is more reserved and happy to be in the background. To now have him thrust into captaincy role, plus leading the team around the park as playmaker , plus fronting media and post match games is a big responsibility. Did we ever see him backing Cam over the last few years when the chips were down? Did we see him rev up the guys when we were behind the eight ball. All I ever saw was the nervous smile, when he kicked out on the full. He was like the rest of the players, acting like browns cows behind the goal posts...speeches & staring at the grass.

Correct... and the three previous leadership choices ( Widdop, Frizzell and McInnes) have been in the same mould. SGI seems to favour the non-verbal, lead by example type of leader. Not sure that works in a team environment. We see the value of someone like a Cameron Smith and his impact on a match when he's "clarifying" with referees and revving up a player when he needs it. He was worth as much to the Storm for his leadership qualities as for his playing abilities- which is why he'll go down as the best player ever to have played the game.

ALSGI

Bench
Ben Hornby (BH) was our half back and captain and we won a premiership with him as such. Another BH in Ben Hunt could again be our answer to leading us to glory. You never know until you try it!!
Mate you could be onto something with the BH........

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think Hunt will be a good capt and it will probably take him to the next level. McCullogh will be a huge difference for him. He takes a brunt of all the blame anyway when things go wrong, so he may as well take more ownership and be captain.
I can feel a good year coming lads with the only risk of injury to key players like McCullough and Bird. If they come through a bulk of the season on the field, Saints will be ok. Every time those 2 blokes go down, our hearts will drop that is for sure.

This Year?

Immortal
We are blessed with having big game Benny's big personality at the post game pressers. Totally looking forward to it :)

getsmarty

Immortal
Former Dragons assistant coach backs Ben Hunt as captain
By Jay Winter 6 hours ago
GettyImages-839455960.jpg

Reports are suggesting that St. George Illawarra Dragons’ halfback Ben Hunt is set to be named captain of the club.

The Daily Telegraph is reporting that Hunt is set to be installed as new skipper by coach Anthony Griffin.

Former Dragons assistant coach Shane Flanagan has commented on Hunt who is set to take over from Cameron McInnes after he sustained a season-ending knee injury last week.

“I like Benny, he’s a good kid,” he said on SEN 1170.

“His heart is in the right place, he trains hard and he prepares well.”

Flanagan also commented on the additional pressure the new role may have for Hunt.

“A lot of people might say that there’s going to be more pressure on him to perform but I think he'll take pride in being club captain," he added.

“He’ll take a little more responsibility.

“He gets a lot of pressure on him because of his paypacket, which you can’t shy away from, he needs to perform.

“But from what I can see, he’s got a good relationship with the coach and I think that’s a big step towards being successful.”

Hunt is set to lead the Dragons for the first time on for their Charity Shield match against South Sydney in Mudgee on February 27.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/02/17/former-dragons-assistant-coach-backs-ben-hunt-as-captain/

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
So who would you appoint captain?
And why?

getsmarty

Immortal
Captaincy gets Ben Hunt out of comfort zone
Ben Hunt of the Dragons is tackled by the Eels players. Mark Kolbe/Getty Images
12:22 PM AEDT
  • AAP

Anthony Griffin wants to get Ben Hunt out of his comfort zone by naming him St George Illawarra captain, adamant it can bring the best out of him.

Hunt will be given significant ownership of the Dragons this season, returning to halfback under Griffin and being handed the sole leadership of the team.

The move represents a significant turn around for Hunt.

Just a year ago he was moved out of the halves and sent to the bench by Paul McGregor after the club's highest-paid player scored just one try in the opening four rounds.

Now both the halfback and captaincy role appears to be his long term, with former skipper Cameron McInnes injured and moving to Cronulla next year.

"I think it's a really good thing for Ben at this stage of his career because it will demand a lot of him in a number of ways," Griffin told SEN.

"And the really good players need that. They don't need comfort zones.

"They need to be given an opportunity to unlock your own potential particularly at his age and with the experience he's got.

"He still got a lot left in him."

Griffin's show of faith in Hunt should come as no surprise.

He brought him through the grades and coached him in under-20s at Brisbane, and is one of the 30-year-old's biggest supporters.

Hunt played just three more games in the halves after being pushed to the bench and hooker last year, and there is a school of thought he is a better footballer without the organising.

But Griffin maintains he can still be one of the best No.7s in the competition.

"I understand what he's capable of and also know, potentially the level he can get to," Griffin said.

"He's got the ability to be one of the best halfbacks in the competition and he's been that before.

"His (2015) season at Brisbane and a couple of years ago here in 2018 he had a great year.

"The club's invested in him heavily over the last couple of years. No one more than Ben wants to repay that."

Meanwhile Griffin said he had no regrets over his pursuit of Israel Folau before it was eventually wound up by the Dragons' board.

"Obviously, in my opinion, he's still a world-class player," Griffin said.

"We went down the road with it and had some chats with the NRL.

"In the end, our board made a decision in what they thought was in the best interest of the club. And that's where it finished and I fully supported it."

https://www.espn.com/nrl/story/_/id/30925976/captaincy-gets-ben-hunt-comfort-zone

Old Timer

Coach
The decision to make Hunt captain makes complete sense and some time ago I basically said what has just been stated.

Give him the keys to the place and it is entirely up to him to shape the on-field performances in a manner consistent with the coaching philosophy.

This season there will be no doubt in anyone's mind as to what plan A, B or C is and every single person will know their role in the team and each of those plans.

Hunt barking at the heels of the players will mean he has to concentrate and stay connected for the entire game which is a good thing (one of my criticisms of him is his disconnecting at crucial times)
and if he can't do that then I have no doubt he will be sent to CC and Sullivan will emerge.

Carpe diem Ben Hunt.

Maddragon99

Juniors
The decision to make Hunt captain makes complete sense and some time ago I basically said what has just been stated.

Give him the keys to the place and it is entirely up to him to shape the on-field performances in a manner consistent with the coaching philosophy.

This season there will be no doubt in anyone's mind as to what plan A, B or C is and every single person will know their role in the team and each of those plans.

Hunt barking at the heels of the players will mean he has to concentrate and stay connected for the entire game which is a good thing (one of my criticisms of him is his disconnecting at crucial times)
and if he can't do that then I have no doubt he will be sent to CC and Sullivan will emerge.

Carpe diem Ben Hunt.
Well now it’s official we can move on. For what it’s worth I don’t agree with the decision but I’m happy to trust Hook’s judgment

getsmarty

Immortal
huntweb.jpg

DRAGONS

Dragons confirm Hunt captaincy
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 19 Feb 2021, 04:10 PM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra have confirmed that Ben Hunt will captain the club ahead of the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership.

Hunt joined the Dragons ahead of the 2018 season and has played 65 games with the Red V to date.

He replaces the departing Cameron McInnes, who earlier this week went in for surgery on his ACL injury.

"It's a massive privilege to be named captain of this historic club. It is a responsibility I won't be taking lightly," Hunt said.

"The last few seasons haven't been what has come to be expected of St George Illawarra. I'm focused on leading the Dragons back to where they belong in this competition as premiership heavyweights.

"I'm blessed to be surrounded by fantastic support networks, both personally and throughout the organisation and I can't wait to repay the faith that has been shown in me with this honour."

Dragons coach Anthony Griffin believes Hunt was the ideal candidate to take the captaincy reins.

"Ben wanted this role for all the right reasons. His care factor for the club is extremely high and the added responsibility will be crucial to his ongoing performances," Griffin said.

"The captaincy is a fantastic opportunity at this stage of his career and is a testament to his character and Ben as a person.

"This extra accountability will push him to continue being one of the competition's best halfbacks."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/02/19/ben-hunt-named-as-dragons-captain/

BLM01

First Grade
I think it is an interesting but fair decision. I thought Sims was an obvious choice after 2018 but changed my mind since then and then...who else?
Hunt is the one now that can make his salary do the talking and leading on field. Its up to him...Earn your keep or...
Zac in time but not yet.

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt takes charge as St George Illawarra Dragons captain after McInnes injury
Local Sport
In charge: Ben Hunt (left) will captain the Dragons. Picture: Matt King/Getty Images
Ben Hunt has been confirmed as St George Illawarra captain, taking over from Cameron McInnes, who is out with a knee injury for the season and headed to the Sharks next year.

As the Mercury wrote last Saturday, Hunt has become the successor, as new coach Anthony Griffin moves him back into the halfback role, after spending time at hooker under Paul McGregor.

On Friday afternoon, St George Illawarra confirmed the decision.

"Ben wanted this role for all the right reasons. His care factor for the club is extremely high and the added responsibility will be crucial to his ongoing performances," Griffin said in a statement.

"The captaincy is a fantastic opportunity at this stage of his career and is a testament to his character and Ben as a person.

"This extra accountability will push him to continue being one of the competition's best halfbacks."

The decision comes with Hunt and enigmatic five-eighth Corey Norman are under pressure to cement their positions, after an impressive 2020 campaign from Adam Clune and the rise of young talent Jayden Sullivan.

McInnes played much of last year at lock under McGregor to cater for Hunt's shift to hooker.

Hunt, a Brisbane and Queensland halfback and hooker, said he was ready to take on the role.

"It's a massive privilege to be named captain of this historic club. It is a responsibility I won't be taking lightly," Hunt said.

"The last few seasons haven't been what has come to be expected of St George Illawarra. I'm focused on leading the Dragons back to where they belong in this competition as premiership heavyweights.

"I'm blessed to be surrounded by fantastic support networks, both personally and throughout the organisation and I can't wait to repay the faith that has been shown in me with this honour."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-dragons-captain-after-mcinnes-injury/?cs=302

denis preston

First Grade
Makes sense on all levels .In a very average side on paper this guy has represented his country & SOO and is by far on the biggest pay packet. In any other club that recipe would demand captaincy. We need a forward or 2 to lead from the front , a fullback to read and shout out defence formations from the back and Benny the run the whole show.

Agree with OT, Benny needs to be a real leader and " seize the day "