What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trials 2021

Draginzaaar

Bench
I see our ruck infringements are still an issue, who gives away 8 set restarts in one half of footy?

line speed and handling a little better this week
Sullivan and Alvaro are good, showing lots of energy
Ramsey positional play and defence very poor but made a couple decent returns, would like to see more
strong carries by Blacker which is good to see
Ford still has a habit of sliding off of tackles
we don't know how to wrestle in tackles
AM was good

What's with The Ramsey goose step every time he runs the ball back. Without it he would make 2 extra metres each time.

Draginzaaar

Bench
H

He has barely played of late to be fair and he’s been injured so probably hasn’t trained much either. I’ll cut him some slack, usually his service is pretty good I’m sure it will improve next week. It’s more his defence and size that worries me.

You don't forget how to pass with time off. I think I could still throw a few nice passes and I haven't played for years.

Dragon David

First Grade
Why don’t we sign poly players ? Men against boys out there
I keep saying this but us guys on this Forum are not the recruiters. Why in all the years under Mary did we not blood some and why have we not been looking at these bigger guys now with Hook. Can't they see the obvious.

I'm thinking that out of all of the clubs in the NRL first grade, we would be coming last in terms of hard hitting, solid, powerhouse big brutes who make things tough for the opposition to tackle and attack against.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Someone made the commemt about us looking 'heavy legged' andcafter watching a few replays I'm tending to agree.

One case in question was when Ramsey, who is a 'flyer', took a grubber kick and was in open field, butcwas run down by their #7 was basically had to turn and chase, and did so.

Being flogged is not an uncommon practice before a seasons start, and then the taper into the round 1 game.
Wouldn't surprise to see the same again in the CS.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Someone made the commemt about us looking 'heavy legged' andcafter watching a few replays I'm tending to agree.

One case in question was when Ramsey, who is a 'flyer', took a grubber kick and was in open field, butcwas run down by their #7 was basically had to turn and chase, and did so.

Being flogged is not an uncommon practice before a seasons start, and then the taper into the round 1 game.
Wouldn't surprise to see the same again in the CS.
I was thinking about it today whilst taking a dump. Maybe Hook made them purposely commit 6 again infringements to a)See how far they can push it and b) build up match fitness. If so the bloke is a genius.

since77

Juniors
It was 2 reserve grade teams playing each with half the teams being swapped on and off every 20 minutes. Parra had all the ball and a lot of those 6 again calls were very questionable.
There’s nothing to see here folks.
The charity shield will be the first chance to see what if anything Griffin has done with over the off season

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
You don't forget how to pass with time off. I think I could still throw a few nice passes and I haven't played for years.
Dufty never started passing until this year really. It was his first game in ages I wouldn’t read too much into it. He has plenty of time to work on his game.

Old Timer

Coach
Interesting all the commentary about the 6 agains we gave up.

In recent years the criticism in here has been about how we never dominate the ruck and how we are poor at the wrestle in the tackle and how the opposition get quick play the balls.

If you want to ensure you get that right then you have to push it to the limits to fully understand what you can & cannot get away with.

Far better to find out the answer to that in trial games rather than waiting for the premiership proper to start and then getting pinged constantly.

There is also value in understanding exactly what you need to do to get your defence properly reset if in fact you do give up a 6 again.

I wouldn’t say it was all done deliberately but I’m sure that they were told to push the boundaries and to get an understanding of how that rule is going to be managed / interpreted throughout the season.

An old saying but still a goody “practise makes perfect” and wise old head coaches know that only too well.

slippery5

Juniors
I was thinking about it today whilst taking a dump. Maybe Hook made them purposely commit 6 again infringements to a)See how far they can push it and b) build up match fitness. If so the bloke is a genius.
He did it at Penrith in a game which prompted Gould to front him at 1/2 time as why he wasn't using there attacking skills, his reasoning was, he wanted to work on their defence. This was the catalyst of their fallout.
I must trust his judgment.

possm

Coach
It was 2 reserve grade teams playing each with half the teams being swapped on and off every 20 minutes. Parra had all the ball and a lot of those 6 again calls were very questionable.
There’s nothing to see here folks.
The charity shield will be the first chance to see what if anything Griffin has done with over the off season
I see two things here:
  1. The defence coach Gentle had our players slowing the ruck down in the hope that we would not be dominated. But the referees decided to enforce the new rules and so the weight of possession went in the Eel's favour. No adjustment to that plan during the game. Game over.
  2. The players fitness program in preperation for season 2021 will end just prior to round one and our players will not be primed until round 1 or soon after. Thus the performance was not as slick and agile as it will be for round 1 or soon after. We may see the same problem raise it's head in the Charity Shield match.
So I am not concerned at all with the performance in the two trials. However, I do hope and expect that there will be a vast improvement by round 1, leading to even better performances by round 2-4.
I also imagine we will be at our best from round 5 on in 2021.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The Charity Shield will be important not only for FG but also for CC. Round 1 aside it will be very interesting to see who out of Clune, Sullivan and Amone make the cut. I’m guessing Amone misses out but he looks to have nice little combo with Sullivan.

boardlumps62

Juniors
So the defending player(s) do the second count like 1 and 2 thru to 6 oops penalty.
And if they can't count which seems obvious they end up with 14 six agains against them some 3 in a row. We actually go 3 penalties in a row went from tryline to tryline then f**ked up.
Think it's better to be fit so you get back into defensive line. I'm not liking it already.