What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2021 Trials

Vic Mackey

Referee
Was a very scrappy trial game. I thought we dominated the middle fairly well. We’re marching upfield very easily mainly thanks to Stefano and (surprisingly) Seyfarth. Roosters continually got penalties when in trouble, to their credit they looked good and probably better then us in the 20m zone however never had to get there on their own. Few comments on players

Robert’s-Davis - absolute trash. Threw an intercept for a try, dropped a bomb with no one around and was generally just horrible

Fitzgibbon - Barely touched it. Dropped a bomb with no pressure

Hoffman - eager for work, noticeably bigger

Talau - spent time at left center and 5/8. Made a good break from nothing and threw a near pass for a long break which should have resulted in a try. Still working on his defence reads

Cini - was willing and scored a try off a bomb

Laurie - kid looks classy, great footwork, excited to see him progress with us

Madden - no footy last year will hurt him. Has a great kicking game but doesn’t present much danger with ball in hand. Interesting to see how he goes next week

Stefano - played the first 30 straight and was a handful. Very quick and mobile for a big guy, took a lot of putting down

Simpkin - very busy and quick. More impressive then Liddle but also had more of a go. Spent some time at lock in the 2ns half and was ok there

Seyfarth - looked bigger and was fairly effective. Scored a try after a great kick chase and hit on the fullback which spewed the ball loose

CheeKam - very quiet. Maybe only played the first 20 or so

Tuilagi - on a development contract but looked very strong. Future first grader for sure

Simpkins - scored a try from dummyhalf and looks likely. Only played league for a couple of years so still raw but a lot of potential there

Liddle - was pretty quiet, don’t recall him running at all

Kiah Cooper - this guy was a surprise. On a train and trial contract with little fanfare. Player right center for 40mins. Set up a break and forced 2 turn overs with massive hits. Interesting watch

Eden Rogers- Smith - another on a T&T, big bopper who pulled off some big hits

Zac Docker Clay - played in the halves and 9. Was always trying something, set up a try but also had some shockers, very mixed bag

The last 20 mins was pretty much all Flegg guys. Looking forward to getting out to Leichhardt and seeing the main squad next week

Vic Mackey

Referee
Cool thanks man. How was the discipline? A lot of hotheads in the team this year.

discipline was horrendous, will save ref whinging til the actual season but I thought we were playing Souths with how often the roosters got marched downfield but the refs. As mentioned we didn’t touch the ball til the 8th minute due to 3 penalties and a six again

Perth Tiger

Bench
I thought both Liddell and Simpkins looked good out of dummy half, but didn’t like when they were both on at the same time, worth looking at in a trial but hope we don’t use that in the NRL as it made us look very small.

Hopefully just seeing if it was worth carrying Simpkins on the bench as more than just a dummy half replacement

stryker

First Grade
Was a very scrappy trial game. I thought we dominated the middle fairly well. We’re marching upfield very easily mainly thanks to Stefano and (surprisingly) Seyfarth. Roosters continually got penalties when in trouble, to their credit they looked good and probably better then us in the 20m zone however never had to get there on their own. Few comments on players

Robert’s-Davis - absolute trash. Threw an intercept for a try, dropped a bomb with no one around and was generally just horrible

Talau - spent time at left center and 5/8. Made a good break from nothing and threw a near pass for a long break which should have resulted in a try. Still working on his defence reads

Madden - no footy last year will hurt him. Has a great kicking game but doesn’t present much danger with ball in hand. Interesting to see how he goes next week

Stefano - played the first 30 straight and was a handful. Very quick and mobile for a big guy, took a lot of putting down

Simpkin - very busy and quick. More impressive then Liddle but also had more of a go. Spent some time at lock in the 2ns half and was ok there

Seyfarth - looked bigger and was fairly effective. Scored a try after a great kick chase and hit on the fullback which spewed the ball loose

Tuilagi - on a development contract but looked very strong. Future first grader for sure

Simpkins - scored a try from dummyhalf and looks likely. Only played league for a couple of years so still raw but a lot of potential there

Kiah Cooper - this guy was a surprise. On a train and trial contract with little fanfare. Player right center for 40mins. Set up a break and forced 2 turn overs with massive hits. Interesting watch

Zac Docker Clay - played in the halves and 9. Was always trying something, set up a try but also had some shockers, very mixed bag

The last 20 mins was pretty much all Flegg guys. Looking forward to getting out to Leichhardt and seeing the main squad next week
Great summary Vic and some interesting names putting their hands up.

Perth Tiger

Bench
If that was a play off between Madden and Laurie for the 6 in round 1 then I think Laurie would of sealed it.

Madden was good but he looks like a clone of Brooks whereas Laurie seemed to offer something different and looked like creating opportunities all the time.

Thanks for your time and effort.

This is all I’ve got to go on so far into this season.

They’ll all be better for the hit out, it’s sounding ok.

Fordy20

Juniors
You can see that Simpkin and Madden need more time in the lower grades. Still some greedy and stupid plays in them. Liddle was more controlled and had a decent dart when he felt the time was right, although it was hard to get a feel for it due to the awkward camera angle.

Agree that Tyrone Roberts-Davis was trash. In addition to dropping a bomb and throwing an intercept, he was also asleep at fullback for Volkman's chip and chase try. He was pretty awful

Zach Dockar-Clay seemed adequate from dummy half for a reserve grade hooker. Probably better having him on the books than Billy Walters, given Billy will be out injured for half the season.

Liked the big hits Kiah Cooper put on as well.

Last 20 minutes was a write off though. Without Madden, Laurie, Simpkin or Liddle on the pitch, the side had no direction.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
There were some good players there. Laurie, Stef, Seyfarth, Tuki Simpkins, Jake Simpkin and Talau all looked good. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jake Simpkin and Liddle in the NRL side for round 1. I reckon they are both getting a go this year. Tuki Simpkins could be our lock.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I thought Fitzgibbon was disappointing, maybe I was over expecting, but didn’t impress me at all.
Looked like Nofo was giving him defensive tips:smiley:
None of the backs got any ball so hopefully just a case of no opportunity for him. Seems to take some good hitups coming out of our end but you are right, caught out in defence a few times

Vic Mackey

Referee
And now Musgrove is dumb enough to put on a shoulder charge and will no doubt be suspended for at least round 1

haha seriously? Man this guys never gunna learn

I’m nit watching it, just had a look at halftime stats and has Packer starting but only playing 4 mins? Is he injured?

Perth Tiger

Bench
haha seriously? Man this guys never gunna learn

I’m nit watching it, just had a look at halftime stats and has Packer starting but only playing 4 mins? Is he injured?
I missed the start and as you said he hasn’t been sighted since but they haven’t mentioned him in commentary

Vozzy

Juniors
Obviously there were guys playing for contracts and others getting a much needed run before round 1 like Liddle, Laurie and Talau. But I'm wondering if Kepoa has the wing spot otherwise he would be in this game because he seems like he would be fighting for a spot. Bloody Musgrove is doing his best to play his way out of first grade.

The Rosco

Bench
Next week, when Dane Laurie plays at 6 ( which he should), he will carve them up and Madge will be left with a big decision for round 2. He seemed wasted at fullback.
Jake S played well and lived up to the hype. He's no Harry Grant, but he's also no slouch.
Fitzgibbon probably had too much hype . . . made 1 difficult dropped bomb . . . but saw hardly any ball. If he would have got a few more touches and made half a break to show his speed, we would all still be pumped about this kid.
Tuki is a bigger, stronger and taller version of McIntyre, and is a big contender for lock or a bench spot at least.
Stefano is a bigger, scarier, harder runner, defensive line bender and post contact metre making version of the bloke that went to Manly. Forgotten his name already.
Old mate 2 names at fullback had an ordinary night. Nothing to see there.
Tuilagi played with heart, as did Kia Cooper and Mavoni in their limited time.
Discipline cost us in the end. And the middle, and at the start.
We created more chances, and when you consider that our backs barely saw the ball, that is a good sign.
I hope the refs keep up the penalising of the roll back play the ball.
We have to be happy with that showing from the boys . . . there's a lot to be pleased about.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Obviously there were guys playing for contracts and others getting a much needed run before round 1 like Liddle, Laurie and Talau. But I'm wondering if Kepoa has the wing spot otherwise he would be in this game because he seems like he would be fighting for a spot. Bloody Musgrove is doing his best to play his way out of first grade.

I did notice during the Q time breaks they was a player in civies that looked like he had a wrist cast on, but it was too far away to tell who it was. Was Kepoa the player rumoured to have broken his wrist? I can’t remember

Vic Mackey

Referee
I did notice during the Q time breaks they was a player in civies that looked like he had a wrist cast on, but it was too far away to tell who it was. Was Kepoa the player rumoured to have broken his wrist? I can’t remember

Blore

Saw on twitter someone at the ground saying he did have his wrist strapped. Rumoured out til Round 4. Sadly the outs already stacking up for Round 1:

Doueihi
Blore
Musgrove (likley)

Lets hope we get through the next trial unscathed