What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2021

mickeylane

Bench
Side to trot out Against Souths

Dufty
Rava
Williame
Lomax
Ramsay

Bird
Hunt

Hunt
Sims
Fuimaono
Vaughan
Mcculluch
Kerr

Faamausuli
Alvaro
Ford
Brittan or Wishart

#2 smokies in Wishart and Hunt

possm

Coach
I'm sure there will be shared opportunity for positions in the 2021 Charity Shield match. So no 14-17 selections mentioned but instead shared 1-13 selections:

1. Dufty / Ramsey
2. JDP / Matt Feagai
3. Lomax / Max Feagai
4. Bird / Williame
5. Ravalawa / Ramsey
6. Norman / Sullivan
7. B Hunt (c) / Clune
8. Kerr / Alvaro
9. McCullough / Wishart
10. Vaughan / Faamausili
11. Sims / Fuimaono
12. Ford / Kerr
13. Lawrie / Hunt

I have left out Armon, Brittian, Merin, Ellis, Blacker who all might find themselves in first grade during the 2021 season but in my opinion, are sitting behind the above selected players at this moment in time.

Old Timer

Coach
I sincerely hope we only have a maximum of 20 players in the squad for the CS

Our projected best 17 for Rd1 and 3 “on the fringe” players to provide extra cover for JB, AM and anyone else that might be carrying / recovering from injury.

There is no way IMO that a 5 or 10 minute audition by players 21-24 in the CS will change anything for Rd1

I would also consider leaving Norman out as well and work on who will be the halves pairing for Rd1 which would mean Sullivan or Clune in the run for CS and the other to come off the bench.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

Our projected best 17 for Rd1 and 3 “on the fringe” players to provide extra cover for JB, AM and anyone else that might be carrying / recovering from injury.

There is no way IMO that a 5 or 10 minute audition by players 21-24 in the CS will change anything for Rd1

I would also consider leaving Norman out as well and work on who will be the halves pairing for Rd1 which would mean Sullivan or Clune in the run for CS and the other to come off the bench.
I would give Normy a run but I wouldn't start with him. Id start with Hunt/Clune because Clune hasn't had a run yet probably give them 40 minutes then go Sullivan/Norman with Norman at 6. Whoever goes better at out of Sullivan/Clune gets round 1. If Bird wants to play centre I would not muck around with playing him at 6. I would just throw him in left centre and leave him there to get the combos/fitness down.

possm

Coach

I just had a quick look at my selection list. Looks just as I thought, approx. one half 40mins for each player. Of course Griffin can vary this how he wants.

The Club must decide if Norman is staying or leaving. If there is not out in his contract relating to the suspension, then it is a must that he gets a run with Hunt to see just what improvements Griffin has made with these two players. I'd like to see the preferred run on 13 start the game and at least include Norman, Hunt and McCullough in that side. I want to see how this new combination will work.

I would also like to see Kerr at 12 as we have not replaced Frizell 'like for like' and there does not seem to be a clear candidate for this position since Bird is now preferred in the left centre position. Their is no doubt that where ever Bird plays in the team, he would most likely be the best candidate however, we do have depth at left centre and so I think it a waste selecting Bird in this position.

redv13

Bench

I agree with using 20/21 players. Last few years the flop used 25/26 players and it’s ridiculous. Surely the top 17 would be close to picked with 3/4 on the edge of selection. Try a few different combos throughout the game like Hunt/Norman, Hunt/Clune, Hunt/Sullivan, Clune/Sullivan etc

kit66

Bench
I think for the CS he'll pick the 17 he wants for round 1 and the extended bench will be a couple of blokes he's undecided on - I'm sure he's tossing up on JP or Cody for left wing, Sullivan or Norman for 5/8 ( remember he likes utilizing the young talent at his disposal ), Max Feagai or Williame for bench utility and Fui or Ford for starting 2nd row, etc.

1. Dufty
2. Ramsey / JP
3. Bird
4. Lomax
5. Rava
6. Norman / Bud
7. Hunt

8. Kerr
9. McC
10. Vaughan
11. Fui / Ford
12. Sims
13. Lawrie

14. Po
15. Alvaro
16. Fui / Ford
17. BB / Wishart - I know that's unlikely but he'll want to ease McC into it, not throw him on for 80 minutes in the CS - and I only include Wishart because we're short on rakes and BB is no use to us at this point.

18. Max Feagai
19. Ramsey / JP
20. J.Hunt
21. I don't know - Ellis, Merrin, probably both need a run but honestly why ?

Dragon David

First Grade
I only hope that the players selected, I'm thinking as many as 21, do their job to the best of their ability because that's what Griffin and Co. will be looking at. Playing against the Souths outfit will be very tough across the park so it will more or less be do your best and see how well you defend and attack under the circumstances.

redv13

Bench
I only hope that the players selected, I'm thinking as many as 21, do their job to the best of their ability because that's what Griffin and Co. will be looking at. Playing against the Souths outfit will be very tough across the park so it will more or less be do your best and see how well you defend and attack under the circumstances.
Definitely a tough game coming up and hopefully some strong signs leading into the Sharks game

Maddragon99

Juniors
The Charity Shield has always been regarded as more than a typical trial with a trophy on the line. Perhaps Hook won’t care about the tradition & run with mostly juniors & fringe players.

For mine I’d like to see our expected round one team play the first 40min & replace players as needed at half time.

Souths are a pretty good team so it could be a good opportunity to benchmark us against a top 8 team.

Injury is always a risk like Gaz ripping his pec in 2008 but players can’t be wrapped in bubble rap either.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
After listening to Hook's interview this morning, I think just about the whole squad will go, which is about 30 players including the DS boys. I also think he'll include those on t&t as well (last chance to impress maybe).
Maybe i'm wrong here but i think we need to finalise 2 spots before 1 March as we currently have 27 registered players (DeBelin's contract isnt registered) and 4 DS players.

Como Connection

First Grade
After listening to Hook's interview this morning, I think just about the whole squad will go, which is about 30 players including the DS boys. I also think he'll include those on t&t as well (last chance to impress maybe).
Maybe i'm wrong here but i think we need to finalise 2 spots before 1 March as we currently have 27 registered players (DeBelin's contract isnt registered) and 4 DS players.
Last two spots have to be forwards.
CC

BLM01

First Grade
No you only need 28 for this year by March 1. The other 2 by June 30.
Are you sure JDB is not counted in our Top squad numbers reagrdless whether registered or not?

This Year?

Immortal
Really excited for this game. Finally we'll get to see what you think will be our best side up against one of the competition favourites.
All I can hope for is to see what's been changed in the off season and what progression there's been.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Really excited for this game. Finally we'll get to see what you think will be our best side up against one of the competition favourites.
All I can hope for is to see what's been changed in the off season and what progression there's been.
I bloody hope so..

For so many years now the charity shield just feels like the Melbourne cup..

So much buildup, lots of excitement leading into it..

And you know who’s won after just 3 minutes..

Inisai Toga

Juniors
....not sure what to make of them now. They used to be tough, smash em up drag em out violent affairs, but over the last decade never really matched the hype; more like hyped up exhibition type games. Time for a change..back to the future..?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Anyone know if this game is 20 min quarters or 40 min halves? I think this will have a big bearing on the make up of the teams, especially the starting 13.

How many minutes played by certain inrividuals will be interesting.