What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jake Arthur

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well it's like the Premier League right. Top clubs have moguls owning them, mid table and bottom are owned by the people.

If an NRL club wants to be successful all the time, they'll have to sell to a mogul. Otherwise, they can hope to have some success for a few years them fade away like Cowboys.
Agreed, except I thought the Cowboys had a sugar daddy of their own, handing out cheap properties and stuff. Maybe he freaked out and wiped them after he was investigated, and that's why they're suddenly perennial also-rans.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Well it's like the Premier League right. Top clubs have moguls owning them, mid table and bottom are owned by the people.

If an NRL club wants to be successful all the time, they'll have to sell to a mogul. Otherwise, they can hope to have some success for a few years them fade away like Cowboys.

not the roosters, still a club like us ...just like the panthers and Canberra too, top clubs all “owned” by the people

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Perennial mid and lower table club West Ham are owned by moguls, luckily we're up top this year but it's far from the usual. Fulham are owned by Shahid Khan who also owns the Jacksonville Jaguars and they're fighting to beat relegation.

Sure if a Saudi rich with oil money wants to buy the club it's a good thing but do you reckon they care about the NRL? I think the last privatisation of an NRL team was Newcastle? Manly are up and down with their private ownership. And I know it's out of the norm but the broncos are privately owned by news ltd and that hasn't guaranteed them success. All depends who wants to buy the club and I don't see anyone rich and stable enough that wants to do that, otherwise they already would have done that.

Last edited:

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
not the roosters, still a club like us ...just like the panthers and Canberra too, top clubs all “owned” by the people

You've got to get the right people in the right positions whether it be privately owned or "owned" by the people. We've been an above average club since we've brought in a skills based board for the PNRL and with them choosing who should sit.

T-Boon

Coach
the only one rich and chosen enough would be Hillsong.
I reckon if Houston owned us we would dominate but we fans would all bail.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
So apparently this statement is hyperbole:

“Turn every junior into a superstar and you’ll gift 90% of them to other clubs.” (Gutful, 2021)

If every single one of our juniors was an origin level player how many would we realistically be able to keep? 10% is obviously an exaggeration. Could we keep 20%? 50%? 80%?

There's one minor difference between the EPL and NRL. The EPL has no salary cap (UEFA's financial fair play regulations haven't exactly been a huge success). So, a billionaire can basically as much money into the squad as he or she likes. In the NRL they can certainl increase the availability of 'off-cap' income, but it's not exactly the same environment.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

“Turn every junior into a superstar and you’ll gift 90% of them to other clubs.” (Gutful, 2021)

If every single one of our juniors was an origin level player how many would we realistically be able to keep? 10% is obviously an exaggeration. Could we keep 20%? 50%? 80%?
110% No excuses!!

chiefy1

Juniors
Talking young Eels or recent Eels, Tigers prop Utoikamanu killed it again the Roosters yesterday. He'll play plenty of NRL this year.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Agreed, except I thought the Cowboys had a sugar daddy of their own, handing out cheap properties and stuff. Maybe he freaked out and wiped them after he was investigated, and that's why they're suddenly perennial also-rans.
There's a Ben Hunt knock on between the Cowboys winning their one and only, and them ending up being so close yet so so far, like us in 2001 and 2009. It's f**ken hard to win a comp.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Perennial mid and lower table club West Ham are owned by moguls, luckily we're up top this year but it's far from the usual. Fulham are owned by Shahid Khan who also owns the Jacksonville Jaguars and they're fighting to beat relegation.
Just because they own the club doesn't mean they're willing to keep pouring money into it to make it successful. It seems some owners treat their clubs like investments while others treat them like very expensive hobbies.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Talking young Eels or recent Eels, Tigers prop Utoikamanu killed it again the Roosters yesterday. He'll play plenty of NRL this year.

perfect example of developing your own “average” nrl players.....Tigers lack quality so pay overs for a rookie (yes he may turn into a rep player but he aren’t yet), while we can afford not too (offer what we think) and just bring in 2 more promising middles not on overs in Hughes / Hollis ........

and then we sign someone with promise with 3 or so years of NRL, only 3 years older, and probably on similar money then Stefo in Papali’i.......

hindy111

Post Whore

You are acting like a limp penis. I made a comment. Obviously producing guys like Dunster is fine, it just doesn't excite me like say Brown or Mahoney who could be very good players. On top of their skill they also bring fans.
Reason being to try and snare a good half or hooker means competition from other clubs and a large price. Its far easier to retain one you've developed.

Picking up guys like Dunsters level is not going to create any sort of bidding war and a club like ours should be producing 2-3 kids of his level most seasons.

hindy111

Post Whore
perfect example of developing your own “average” nrl players.....Tigers lack quality so pay overs for a rookie (yes he may turn into a rep player but he aren’t yet), while we can afford not too (offer what we think) and just bring in 2 more promising middles not on overs in Hughes / Hollis ........

and then we sign someone with promise with 3 or so years of NRL, only 3 years older, and probably on similar money then Stefo in Papali’i.......

I feel like Stefano was a bit of a f**k you over Matterson.

275k is overs but at same time possibly unders. At worse he would of landed a 150k contract anywhere. They threw 125k extra based on thinking he will be worth that.

The Rosco

Bench
Him along with Blore and Musgrove will form a powerfull pack.
Hey there Parra merkins . . . . yeah, Stefano lived up to the hype last night. You can't keep them all, and I think the genuine footy fans amongst you will still follow his progress.
Except for rhyno of course.
How unlucky that youse ended up with Hayne and Inu instead of rhyno. You DO know that rhyno went to school with them and was judged to be the best player of them ?
And back on topic . . . Brad's son seems to be getting a lot of attention lately.
Bbbutt . .. you have already got a star halfback !
Surely you ain't going cold on Mitchy already ?
. . . Oh, and @ Joshua the eel . . . when you say stuff like " the tigers lack quality and have to pay overs . . . ." ease up old mate. People would think the glorious WT ran stone motherless last just a few short seasons ago.;)

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
You are acting like a limp penis. I made a comment. Obviously producing guys like Dunster is fine, it just doesn't excite me like say Brown or Mahoney who could be very good players. On top of their skill they also bring fans.
Reason being to try and snare a good half or hooker means competition from other clubs and a large price. Its far easier to retain one you've developed.

Picking up guys like Dunsters level is not going to create any sort of bidding war and a club like ours should be producing 2-3 kids of his level most seasons.
I don’t understand how any of that relates to the post you’ve quoted.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Hey there Parra merkins . . . . yeah, Stefano lived up to the hype last night. You can't keep them all, and I think the genuine footy fans amongst you will still follow his progress.
Except for rhyno of course.
How unlucky that youse ended up with Hayne and Inu instead of rhyno. You DO know that rhyno went to school with them and was judged to be the best player of them ?
And back on topic . . . Brad's son seems to be getting a lot of attention lately.
Bbbutt . .. you have already got a star halfback !
Surely you ain't going cold on Mitchy already ?
What?