What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 season

Luke Bowden

First Grade
It was a glorified trial match people, take away points:
- Both players got great minutes in their legs.
- Both players were amongst the best on the field.
- Both players made key mistakes which is great opportunity to learn lessons which places them in a better position for us.
- NO INJURIES.

WestyLife

First Grade
It was a glorified trial match people, take away points:
- Both players got great minutes in their legs.
- Both players were amongst the best on the field.
- Both players made key mistakes which is great opportunity to learn lessons which places them in a better position for us.
- NO INJURIES.

The thing I take out of it is that our pre season was good. Both looked fit, fast, strong.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
We choked in the GF and 2 very important players choked in the very next game they played. Yes its a pre season game but its the truth. Anyways apart from that Fish looked as good as ever. Luai took far too much of a backseat to old man Benji

I don't think it was 'taking a backseat' as Benji demanding the ball, getting in the way, and basically ruining the flow of any attack. Sadly this is what Marshall does now days. Marshall should retire and leave his legacy in tack.

Sadly Marshall still tries to play the game how he did in his early 20's and his body isn't able to do that anymore. Luai is in awe of his past deeds and did what Marshall wanted.....which was basically stiffle the attack.

I agree with you the conditions were very harsh and horrible to play in.

Abacus

Juniors
I believe terms like ‘f**king embarrassing’ were used lol that just seems so unnecessary to me but each to their own really!
Here's the quote you're referring to:
The 2 Penrith boys finished the game like how we played the GF. 2 f**king embarrassing plays
If that's an attack, then I'm a Maori all star... maybe a bit of Panthers bias/sensitivity coming through.

panthersam

Juniors
Here's the quote you're referring to:

If that's an attack, then I'm a Maori all star... maybe a bit of Panthers bias/sensitivity coming through.

If someone was to call you f**king embarrassing in the circumstances that they were in then you wouldn’t see it as an attack on you? It doesn’t make a difference whether the boys will actually ever see the comment or not! Smug himself has even now said it may have been an overreaction! Maybe I just differ in thoughts on it all :shrug:♂️

Kilkenny

Coach
I couldn't watch the trial game last night. Was there any fringe players, whose performances stood out?

If your referring to our NSW Cup trial against Mounties there really were no standout performers. As is normally the case with trials the game played in quarters, lots of players coming in and off. As Franklin said the lighting didn’t seem great and I was sitting in the grandstand and it was hard to make out players on the opposite side. Personally, I liked what I saw from Hopwood, he played probably 3/4 of the game and is one of those players who is always involved, very high work rate. I wouldn’t expect him to play NRL this season, but if he has a really good season in NSW I think he has a future.

Abacus

Juniors
If someone was to call you f**king embarrassing in the circumstances that they were in then you wouldn’t see it as an attack on you? It doesn’t make a difference whether the boys will actually ever see the comment or not! Smug himself has even now said it may have been an overreaction! Maybe I just differ in thoughts on it all :shrug:♂️
If you called someone "f**king embarassing" - yes, personal so an attack on them.
Smug said the plays (not the players) were f**king embarassing. There's a difference, although I'm probably getting into semantics.

I saw it as criticism, but not attacking the players.

John Hamblin

Juniors
Hear is my best guess at where the teams will finish in 2021 -

Panthers
Storm
Souths
Raiders
Roosters
Eels
Knights
Titans

Broncos
Manly
Cowboys
Sharks
Warriors
Bulldogs
Tigers
Dragons

panthersam

Juniors
Hear is my best guess at where the teams will finish in 2021 -

Panthers
Storm
Souths
Raiders
Roosters
Eels
Knights
Titans

Broncos
Manly
Cowboys
Sharks
Warriors
Bulldogs
Tigers
Dragons

That’s actually pretty close to how I would have it if I were to pick too, Warriors maybe a little higher and Knights maybe a little lower.

luv my panfas

Juniors
I was 10+ beers deep so I'll concede f**king embarrassing was too far. It was just really embarrassing to see a half make such an awful decision
Well I've seen better halves than him do that. It happens. He did kick a lot last night.He will remember that kick for a while though. On fish I think the criticism is a bit harsh. Defending on the line is a tough gig What he did was I think pure instinct

Jane Murray

Bench
Panthers 2021 season preview: Generation Next to keep team purring
Author
Alicia NewtonNRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 22 Feb 2021, 07:01 AM
newtonalicia-head.png

Share on social media
Penrith were the surprise packets of the 2020 Telstra Premiership season and went within 80 minutes of claiming the game's ultimate prize.

A new year will bring about new challenges for Ivan Cleary's side, which will look slightly different a few months on after tasting grand final defeat.

Every team in the NRL will be on high alert for last year's minor premiers as they go from being the hunters to the hunted.

The scary part for the opposition is they showed no signs of slowing down despite failing to get over the final hurdle.

What the Panthers learned from their big-game experience will be fascinating viewing as the year goes on.

Despite several departures in the off-season, you have to respect that the premiership window remains open for the Panthers after last year's efforts.

The 2021 outlook
What's new
Quite the opposite with the club's most experienced players departing and taking with them over 700 games of NRL experience.

Penrith's mission to fend away rivals and re-sign the likes of Charlie Staines, Jarome Luai and Stephen Crichton has come at a cost with former captain James Tamou, fan favourite Josh Mansour, Zane Tetevano and Dean Whare exiting in recent months.

remote.axd

The Forbes Ferrari: Staines' six tries in two matches

The Forbes Ferrari: Staines' six tries in two matches

The club has lured a host of journeymen and fringe players in return (Robert Jennings, Scott Sorensen, Paul Momirovski and Matt Eisenhuth) and will be heavily reliant on youth to get them over the line.

The Draw
The Panthers recorded an NRL.com index score of 197 when the 2021 draw was announced in November, analysing them as having the fourth "easiest" draw in the league based on data.

Clashes against the Bulldogs (round two), Storm (round three) and Wests Tigers (round 13) will be among their best match-ups of the season.

The period post-Origin looms as the most challenging with four away trips against heavyweight outfits the Storm, Roosters, Rabbitohs and Eels.

Burning Question
Can the Panthers replicate their 2020 efforts and go one better this season?

Few had the Panthers in their top eight last season, let alone predicting they'd be one of the two teams battling it out for the title. This won't be an issue in 2021 but how the Panthers handle the external pressure and expectation will be new territory for the young side.

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart admitted his side tried too hard at stages throughout last season to find the spark that got them into the 2019 decider. The Panthers will be wary of the same and will practically need to wipe last year's efforts clean.

Stat that gives you hope
No team wins 17 games in a row in modern sport unless they're doing multiple things right and it was no different for the Panthers. The fact the team was consistently producing performances with a youthful squad will hold them in good stead in 2021.

remote.axd

The Panthers' 2020 season review

The Panthers' 2020 season review

Their finals performances, apart from their first half against Melbourne in the grand final, are also going to benefit the team under pressure. Although they'll be more targeted by the opposition, there is enough strike power across the paddock to ensure they won't revert back to any predictable ways.

Breakout player
Charlie Staines needed just two NRL games to convince the club he was the next big thing to come out of Penrith and worthy of a contract extension.

With his hamstring woes now behind him, Staines has a full season on the right edge to establish himself as one of the best outside backs in the game.

The Forbes junior will need some help with Brent Naden and Tyrone May among those vying for the right centre spot next to him.

Contract matters
The Panthers have nine players left off contract in 2021 but are hoping to lock in young guns Jarome Luai and Stephen Crichton to long-term deals before round one.

They're also chasing another front-rower to bolster their middle after losing James Tamou and Zane Tetevano in the break.

Spencer Leniu's retention was a positive in December, while Isaah Yeo re-committed earlier this month.

Yeo's re-signing may have a flow-on effect for fellow back-rower Kurt Capewell, who is also without a deal beyond this year and could be in the sights of rival clubs for 2022 after starring for Queensland last November.

With the club focused on tying down Luai and Crichton first, the rest will follow after that.

franklin2323

Immortal
Something I noticed watching the games from last year was our fans booooing injured players. That needs to stop it makes us look like a bunch of gronks.

Depends on the injury. Nothing annoys me more then a team being on the attack and someone in the defence goes down. Only to be looked at then to just get back in the defence line.

That I boo. Someone out cold or something is a different thing

WestyLife

First Grade
Depends on the injury. Nothing annoys me more then a team being on the attack and someone in the defence goes down. Only to be looked at then to just get back in the defence line.

That I boo. Someone out cold or something is a different thing

From what I've seen the HIA assessment is a big one. Our fans booood a cowboys player who was legit injured a few years ago.