What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad for 2021

Original Name

Juniors
Laurie's quick but doesn't beat guys with pure speed on the outside that often he's usually more a shifty stepper in general. Despite being fast he plays nothing like a guy like Panenhauzen. FYI he defends well enough that he played five eight pretty well for pretty much a full year in reserve grade.

He's not a Dufty like defender.

Last edited:

gordsy

Juniors
As was Damien Cook if memory serves!!

He looks future spine material to me.

Good interview with Madge on the official site today. Seems to me he’s very upbeat about the pre season progress.

https://www.weststigers.com.au/

While in an interview with Fox, Brooksy discusses the emotion of Benjis departure and credits AD as being too competent to keep benji. Thinks however it will help his own game.

Stefano at 115kgs, we recall he was shocked and awed by the intensity of the pre season.
Cows looking to use the mighty Tammas off the bench, but we expect our big guys to play the full 80. Interesting contrast.

And who isn’t a fan of the legend Ronnie Palmer? Best support in the game. He’s snipped a bit too much off the mullet!

If Ronny Palmer is the best person in his position in the game then the game is in the stone ages.
Who f**king cares if he is a good bloke, has been around forever. We should be after the best in the game and he aint it.

Tiger05

First Grade
If Ronny Palmer is the best person in his position in the game then the game is in the stone ages.
Who f**king cares if he is a good bloke, has been around forever. We should be after the best in the game and he aint it.

How do you know ? The guys look pretty fit.

How do you know ? The guys look pretty fit.

He has strong philosophies and has trained under some of the best coaches in the game.

Thus he has a lot of knowledge and has taught at schools etc.

Last year Ronnie gave us some insights into his personal philosophies, forumers can visit:

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2020/04/06/monday-motivation-with-ronnie-palmer/

Here’s my photo of Ronnie from 2019:

5E1C128C-0309-425E-A255-A64A532C5F51.jpeg
Sorry about the quality, but I thought he deserved a game day experience snap.

Not a bad pass in him either.

It’s good to have inspiration around the club. I think he would be fitter and stronger than a lot of ordinary non nrl players more than many decades younger than him.

At least he walks the walk. I think it’s a good influence to have. I’d love to be 10% as fit and motivated as Ronnie is.

I’m happy as Larry to have him.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
He has strong philosophies and has trained under some of the best coaches in the game.

Last year Ronnie gave us some insights into his personal philosophies, forumers can visit:

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2020/04/06/monday-motivation-with-ronnie-palmer/

View attachment 46084

Not a bad pass on him either.

It’s good to have inspiration around the club. I think he would be fitter and stronger than a lot of ordinary non nrl players more than many decades younger than him.

At least he walks the walk. I think it’s a good influence to have. I’d love to be 10% as fit and motivated as Ronnie is. It would change my life.
Plus, he has magic dust when needed

stryker

First Grade

View attachment 46084

Not a bad pass in him either.

At least he walks the walk. I think it’s a good influence to have. I’d love to be 10% as fit and motivated as Ronnie is.

I’m happy as Larry to have him.
Too bad he fails to get the players fit and strong.
The game has well and truly passed him by.

Original Name

Juniors
Too bad he fails to get the players fit and strong.
The game has well and truly passed him by.
Tigers staying in games varied too much last year for the them not to be fit. Look at thier stamina they showed in the first Penrith game vs other games where they gave in much easier. It's clearly a problem with moral not a physical one.

stryker

First Grade
Tigers staying in games varied too much last year for the them not to be fit. Look at thier stamina they showed in the first Penrith game vs other games where they gave in much easier. It's clearly a problem with moral not a physical one.
That’s right, they did vary.
When certain teams lifted that last 5% our mob couldn’t go with them. We’d be able to lift for grudge games but not week after week in a professional manner. We also got manhandled a lot showing our strength in the wrestle was lacking. Mental aptitude and player morale had something to do with it but strength and conditioning has been letting us down for years.

Original Name

Juniors
That’s right, they did vary.
When certain teams lifted that last 5% our mob couldn’t go with them. We’d be able to lift for grudge games but not week after week in a professional manner. We also got manhandled a lot showing our strength in the wrestle was lacking. Mental aptitude and player morale had something to do with it but strength and conditioning has been letting us down for years.
For strength I think it's the middles just not being good enough players compared to opposing middles not they don't lift enough weights. At least that's how it reads to me. Tamou wouldn't get outmuscled but for some other guys you can only squeeze so much out of them before they start to lose too much leg speed and putting on muscle becomes a hindrance.

stryker

First Grade
For strength I think it's the middles just not being good enough players compared to opposing middles not they don't lift enough weights. At least that's how it reads to me. Tamou wouldn't get outmuscled but for some other guys you can only squeeze so much out of them before they start to lose too much leg speed and putting on muscle becomes a hindrance.
I’m not talking about bulking up.
I’m talking about strength. Hitting in a tackle and not letting go, over powering the ball runner. Think Cameron Smith. Not big and bulky, not rippling with muscles, not even overly fit looking. Pound for pound one of the strongest in the comp. If you run within his arc you are done and most likely end up on your back producing a slow play the ball. The last part is technique, however he is able to always put the attacker into a position where technique closes them down. That is pure strength and it is what our guys lack.

Original Name

Juniors
I’m talking about strength. Hitting in a tackle and not letting go, over powering the ball runner. Think Cameron Smith. Not big and bulky, not rippling with muscles, not even overly fit looking. Pound for pound one of the strongest in the comp. If you run within his arc you are done and most likely end up on your back producing a slow play the ball. The last part is technique, however he is able to always put the attacker into a position where technique closes them down. That is pure strength and it is what our guys lack.
Smith has to incredible natural core strength on top of how hard and the way he trains. A thousand guys can copy Smith's training regime but Smith is the only guy his size and age who can tackle like that consistently even in a great defensive system. If it was purely a training regime to doing what Smith does in tackles all the guys that leave the Storm would teach it to other clubs and everyone would be defending like him. The Storm would have abused the hell out of something like that if it was pure training thing. Have everyone tackling OP as hell instead of a good defensive system covering up flawed individuals.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade

Mate with all due respect I'm sure the training is just fine. It's the players ability.

Tiger Ted

Bench
We lack the mental fortitude & physical resilience required for success in such a brutal & machismo workplace.We r content to exhibit the bare minimum in performance knowing that its enough to continue to earn the big bucks.It’s one of reasons the NRL should b reducing no. of teams & not increasing as they r proposing to do in ‘23.There’s an oversupply of inept ingrates playing NRL & shit clubs like ours have been a lucrative sanctuary for the garbage.

Tiger05

First Grade
We lack the mental fortitude & physical resilience required for success in such a brutal & machismo workplace.We r content to exhibit the bare minimum in performance knowing that its enough to continue to earn the big bucks.It’s one of reasons the NRL should b reducing no. of teams & not increasing as they r proposing to do in ‘23.There’s an oversupply of inept ingrates playing NRL & shit clubs like ours have been a lucrative sanctuary for the garbage.

Or we just don't have the talent on the park. My opinion is that if we have the talent on the park then we can start stating they don't have the fortitude and resilience to be successful.

I think this year is interesting. We have a much better team in that we have less plodders and a lot more players who can have an impact. At the same time our spine is completely unsettled.

I can see us imploding this year or having a really good season.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Ole Ronnie Palmer, played with some pretty capable back rowers back in the day, only played a few 1st grade games as he had the likes of John Spencer, Neil Pringle, Trevor Ryan and Brian Lockwood in front of him.
We certainly had some quality back rowers in the 70’s & I do remember Ryan who became the captain also playing in the centre’s alongside the sublime Geoff Starling.Btw I thought Ronnie may have played on the wing.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Ole Ronnie Palmer, played with some pretty capable back rowers back in the day, only played a few 1st grade games as he had the likes of John Spencer, Neil Pringle, Trevor Ryan and Brian Lockwood in front of him.
I stand corrected.Ronnie did play in the 2nd row alongside the great Johnny Spencer.

These days Ronnie would be following or implementing pretty narrow bands of fitness techniques based on high science.

30 minutes of little toe exercises 3 x per week to help with balance etc

I bet a bit of it would be confidential. We know that diet is heavily regulated and all kinds of legal pharma.

I’ve had a big dinner out with an then current nrl player, all he ate was salad. I felt a bit sorry for him but ffs respect.