What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

Como Connection

First Grade
You know..like Bird or not.. or
Whether people think he is a risky dud signing..or not
For me..Bird has 3 things in addition to his skinny legs
Mongrel, X-Factor and game smarts / raw natural ability
Sure injury is a risk to all just like Cam's knees but if Bird stays on field he is a huge + for the Dragons.
That's four things.
CC

Paddles

Juniors
On the strength of the centre auditions so far, Bird with Lomax makes the most sense. Potentially a good pairing and both Wiliame and Feagai looked pretty shaky in defence at times in those trials. But if he plays centre the forward stocks look even worse than they did.

Dragon David

First Grade
On the strength of the centre auditions so far, Bird with Lomax makes the most sense. Potentially a good pairing and both Wiliame and Feagai looked pretty shaky in defence at times in those trials. But if he plays centre the forward stocks look even worse than they did.
I'm definitely not happy with our forward stocks. Please let there be a Saintly God who will grant us JDB's services again.

thebigredv

First Grade
I'm definitely not happy with our forward stocks. Please let there be a Saintly God who will grant us JDB's services again.

Recruitment over the last few years has been very poor in this area not to mention McGregor's inability to develop forwards.

If De Belin is freed to play, which is a big if, he will surely play out of his skin.

As you have suggested, we are just a supporter base that lives off hope and fortune rather than the quality of players and coaching that we have at our club. Weak club.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Centre don't play in pairs anymore. Ones left and ones right they just have numbers on their backs 3&4 but can be anyone now days.

Paddles

Juniors
Centre don't play in pairs anymore. Ones left and ones right they just have numbers on their backs 3&4 but can be anyone now days.

There are still 2 (a pair) of them, and they do similar jobs on different sides of the field. One of the most difficult jobs, defensively, requiring judgement and skill to count numbers, know when to rush, slide, talk to the winger/half/back rower.

We’ve been so poorly served in the centres for years and teams knew they could bamboozle Aitken, Lafai et al with simple block plays.

I maintain that Lomax and Bird look like the best pair for this job atm. I am also aware we don’t have inside and outside centres.

Last edited:

boardlumps62

Juniors
There are still 2 (a pair) of them, and they do similar jobs on different sides of the field. One of the most difficult jobs, defensively, requiring judgement and skill to count numbers, know when to rush, slide, talk to the winger/half/back rower.

We’ve been so poorly served in the centres for years and teams knew they could bamboozle Aitken, Lafai et al with simple block plays.

I maintain that Lomax and Bird look like the best pair for this job atm. I am also aware we don’t have inside and outside centres.
This year I want to see the wingers remain in their position and talk to the centres. Rava is allowed one or two rushed in to smash a centre.

getsmarty

Immortal
birdjack-team-photo-1gp_3234_2021213105510.jpg

DRAGONS

Disposition strong as Bird seeks position of clarity
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 26 Feb 2021, 05:41 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Share on social media
Even when he played alongside Dragons teammate Adam Clune in the Berkeley under 13 team, Jack Bird was never sure what position he was best suited to.

"As a kid I played fullback, five-eighth, lock, centre, second-row," Bird said. "My mindset was just to go out there and play good footy, and try my best."

That attitude earned Bird a premiership ring with Cronulla in 2016, five NSW State of Origin jerseys and a big-money contract with Brisbane, before returning home to St George Illawarra this season.

Despite all that, no-one is still sure where the 25-year-old should play.

"I have pretty much made myself out that I can play every position on the field, and that’s a good thing but it’s also a bad thing," Bird told NRL.com.

birdj.jpg

Dragons utility Jack Bird.
"I think it is a good thing because I can add value to any team and it is a bad thing because no one knows what the best position is for me to play.

"I don’t even know what my best position is, to be honest."

After injuries limited him to just 17 matches in three years at the Broncos, Bird is just happy to back playing again and he is looking forward to his first Charity Shield against South Sydney in Mudgee on Saturday night.

remote.axd

Hunt surprised by captaincy

Hunt surprised by captaincy

He didn’t play at all last season and made his return with a brief stint at left centre against Parramatta last week after the late decision to switch from the forwards, where Dragons coach Anthony Griffin had him training for most of the pre-season in Wollongong.

Bird revealed during a video shoot for Chemist Warehouse that the move to the centres had been his idea and he was now aiming to form a partnership on St George Illawarra’s left edge with winger Jordan Pereira, second-rower Tariq Sims and five-eighth Corey Norman.

"I think the idea for 'Hook' [Griffin] was to play me as an edge back-rower or in the middle for my knee but I am feeling pretty confident in my knee and I feel more comfortable out in the centres," Bird said.

“If I am going to get back to playing good footy I need to be confident and I think me being in the centres is going to help me."

Berkeley to the big time
Bird grew up in Berkeley, south of Wollongong, and was part of junior Illawarra representative teams from a young age but he has not worn the Red V in a premiership match after being recruited by Cronulla in 2014 from the Under 20s team coached by Dean Young and Ben Hornby.

Other members of the team, which made the finals, were fullback Matt Dufty, centre Euan Aitken, prop Addin Fonua-Blake and Clune.

I don’t even know what my best position is, to be honest

Dragons utility Jack Bird
"Being a local junior I am loving being back at the club and living at home with my family and near all my friends," Bird said. "It feels like I never really left, to be honest.

"Trent Merrin is still here, and I know most of the players. Adam Clune played in my Berkeley under 13s team and I went to school with him at Illawarra Sports High. He is a legend of a bloke and he is a great player.

"Cluney is very smart and he has got his head screwed on. I love playing with him but we haven’t played much together since under 13s so hopefully we get to play a few more games together this year."

clune_rc1_2940.jpg

Dragons playmaker Adam Clune. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
Days as a positional nomad
Of Bird’s 84 NRL games for Cronulla and Brisbane, he has played 53 at centre, 24 at five-eighth, three at fullback, three at halfback and one from the interchange bench.

"I feel comfortable at centre because I think that is what’s the best for the team at the moment but I can play any position and no matter what position I play I am going to try my hardest," he said.

"There are not many people who can play a lot of positions. In saying that I have always wanted to have one position down pat, but I still don’t even know what that is. I am trying to figure that out myself."

For now, Bird’s most likely position appears to be left centre at the Dragons as Dufty is expected to start the season at fullback while Norman, Clune, Ben Hunt and rookie sensation Jayden Sullivan are vying for the playmaking roles.

He usually plays right centre but Zac Lomax has a hold on that spot.

While the modern-day centre has been described as a "second-rower with footwork", Bird insists there is a significant difference between the positions.

"Middle and edge back-rower are completely different to centre so you have got to change your role a little bit and defend differently," he said.

"It is pretty hard to defend in the centres so you need to know what you are doing. I am playing left centre at the moment and I am used to playing on the right but I am happy with that."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/26/disposition-strong-as-bird-seeks-position-of-clarity/

BLM01

First Grade
Ive got a good feeling about Bird this year....had more than his share of bad luck with injuries obviously but still got a lot to add to our roster.....will turn it around in 2021
I am with you
But if he gets up slowly or anything like that until he gets a bit more game time at fast pace it is heart in mouth stuff for me ATM

Slippery Morris

First Grade
One of my favourite Dragons players was Brad Mackay and he played multiple positions. Nothing wrong with that at all as it is a huge benefit. I think Brad played a lot of reps because of it to be honest as they could slot him anywhere. From memory I think Brad played 5/8 and lock in the reps games he played. If Jack needs any advice about this then there is no one better to ask than the great man as I am sure he will provide good guidance.

I can understand players wanting to play in one position only but to be played in multiple ones really shows how talented you can be and there is nothing wrong with mixing it around. If anything is should increase your value.

getsmarty

Immortal
Bird has faith back in knee on NRL return
By AAP Newswire
bpw7bSV7mWHrptRISo1G.jpg

Jack Bird. - AAP

Jack Bird has declared he finally has full confidence back in his knee as St George Illawarra plan a cautious approach to his NRL return after two years out.

The Dragons' opener on Sunday night against Cronulla will mark Bird's first NRL game for his junior club, after two years of injury hell with back-to-back ACL blows.

Initially injured in May 2019 during Magic Weekend playing for Brisbane, Bird's 2020 was ruined when he went down on the eve of the season with the same injury in his left knee.

The 25-year-old only got back to running properly in January, and the Dragons have since managed his workload closely.

That is expected to continue into the season, with coach Anthony Griffin willing to play it safe at the hint of any niggle for the former NSW State of Origin star.

"We might still have to look after him a little bit over the next couple of months," Griffin told AAP.

"I know Sunday night he won't be going out there worried about minutes and fitness but we've got to do that for him.

"He's obviously a serious player. He's won a comp, played Origin before he was 22 or 23.

"You watch him move at training, the really good classy players you don't even have to watch play.

"You just watch the way he moves now he's got a bit of confidence and speed. He's a wonderful player."

But Bird is insistent he will not need to have his workload managed, either at training or on the field.

After getting through most of his pre-season in the back row to limit lateral movements, Bird requested he return to the centres.

The former Shark and Bronco will be crucial to sparking a Dragons side that are favourites for the spoon, playing on the left rather than his preferred right.

He will have Adam Clune inside him at five-eighth this weekend, with Corey Norman not expected to appeal his one-game ban for a street brawl.

"Hook (Griffin) has been cautious but I have told him to back off," Bird quipped

"He's been pretty cautious with me in the pre-season but I am pretty confident in my knee and body.

"There are no mental challenges there, or mental barriers.

"I don't want to be doing less than other players. I want to challenge it as much as I can by training and playing as much as everyone else.

"If I can't do that then I shouldn't be playing NRL. I don't want to be training half the day and looking after my knee."

https://www.riverineherald.com.au/rugby/2021/03/08/3609934/bird-has-faith-back-in-knee-on-nrl-return

Maddragon99

Juniors
EXCLUSIVE: Andrew Johns tips St George Illawarra Dragons recruit Jack Bird to make No.6 jersey his own
By Zachary Gates - 8 hours ago
This week on Freddy & the Eighth, Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler take us inside their summer hoildays, Benji Marshall to the Rabbitohs and the Dragons hopes for 2021.
Legendary halfback Andrew Johns believes prized St George Illawarra recruit Jack Bird will make a permanent switch to five-eighth in season 2021, declaring the new rules have presented the boom Dragon a prime opportunity as a playmaker.

Bird has been named in the centres for the Dragons' season-opening clash with the Sharks at Kogarah Park on Sunday, with Adam Clune set to play five-eighth and Ben Hunt set to wear the No.7 jersey.

While Corey Norman won't play in Round One as he's been slapped with a one-match ban for his involvement in a street fight, the former Bronco and Eel is expected to steal the No.6 jersey from Clune in Round Two.

Johns said Bird, who throughout his career has spent brief periods at five-eighth and has mainly played in the centres, has the running game to make the No.6 jersey his own.

Round 1

Warriors
VS

Titans
NRL 2021: Round 1Mt Smart StadiumSaturday March 13th, 4:00 am

Round 1

Roosters
VS

Sea Eagles
NRL 2021: Round 1Sydney Cricket GroundSaturday March 13th, 6:30 am

"Jack Bird looked strong (in the trials). I think eventually he'll end up in the No.6 this year, with the new rules and the quicker ruck," Johns told Wide World of Sports' Freddy and The Eighth.

"I don't think you need two ball-players in the halves. You need a dummy-half who can ball-play and then a running five-eighth."

A six-again call must now be awarded for 10-metre infringements, a rule introduced to reduce stoppages in the game, increase fatigue and ultimately make for a faster and more free-flowing game.

The NRL introduced a similar rule during last year's competition suspension in a ploy to quicken the game, whereby a six-again ruling is made in the event of ruck infringements.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F1dc2e5f0-7210-4255-b656-ed2253f0b1b3

Prized St George Illawarra recruit Jack Bird has a lot of heavily lifting to do this season. (Getty)
However, Bird is yet to play a premiership match under either of those rules as he suffered an ACL rupture just two days before Round One of the 2020 season.

Although Johns has high praise for Bird, who made five State of Origin appearances for the NSW Blues across 2016 and 2017, he expects the Dragons to again struggle this season.

"I saw them twice (over the pre-season). I saw them in a trial against Parramatta and they were really poor, and then I saw them in the Charity Shield where they were so far off the pace," Johns said.

"So between the Charity Shield and Round One they have to improve lengths and lengths to compete against the Sharks. They always get up for that local derby, but from what I saw in the two trials they are in for a long season. They will be battling down in that bottom four.

"Good luck to the Dragons. I wish them well."

Maddragon99

Juniors
EXCLUSIVE: Andrew Johns tips St George Illawarra Dragons recruit Jack Bird to make No.6 jersey his own
By Zachary Gates - 8 hours ago
This week on Freddy & the Eighth, Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler take us inside their summer hoildays, Benji Marshall to the Rabbitohs and the Dragons hopes for 2021.
Legendary halfback Andrew Johns believes prized St George Illawarra recruit Jack Bird will make a permanent switch to five-eighth in season 2021, declaring the new rules have presented the boom Dragon a prime opportunity as a playmaker.

Bird has been named in the centres for the Dragons' season-opening clash with the Sharks at Kogarah Park on Sunday, with Adam Clune set to play five-eighth and Ben Hunt set to wear the No.7 jersey.

While Corey Norman won't play in Round One as he's been slapped with a one-match ban for his involvement in a street fight, the former Bronco and Eel is expected to steal the No.6 jersey from Clune in Round Two.

Johns said Bird, who throughout his career has spent brief periods at five-eighth and has mainly played in the centres, has the running game to make the No.6 jersey his own.

Round 1

Warriors
VS

Titans
NRL 2021: Round 1Mt Smart StadiumSaturday March 13th, 4:00 am

Round 1

Roosters
VS

Sea Eagles
NRL 2021: Round 1Sydney Cricket GroundSaturday March 13th, 6:30 am

"Jack Bird looked strong (in the trials). I think eventually he'll end up in the No.6 this year, with the new rules and the quicker ruck," Johns told Wide World of Sports' Freddy and The Eighth.

"I don't think you need two ball-players in the halves. You need a dummy-half who can ball-play and then a running five-eighth."

A six-again call must now be awarded for 10-metre infringements, a rule introduced to reduce stoppages in the game, increase fatigue and ultimately make for a faster and more free-flowing game.

The NRL introduced a similar rule during last year's competition suspension in a ploy to quicken the game, whereby a six-again ruling is made in the event of ruck infringements.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F1dc2e5f0-7210-4255-b656-ed2253f0b1b3

Prized St George Illawarra recruit Jack Bird has a lot of heavily lifting to do this season. (Getty)
However, Bird is yet to play a premiership match under either of those rules as he suffered an ACL rupture just two days before Round One of the 2020 season.

Although Johns has high praise for Bird, who made five State of Origin appearances for the NSW Blues across 2016 and 2017, he expects the Dragons to again struggle this season.

"I saw them twice (over the pre-season). I saw them in a trial against Parramatta and they were really poor, and then I saw them in the Charity Shield where they were so far off the pace," Johns said.

"So between the Charity Shield and Round One they have to improve lengths and lengths to compete against the Sharks. They always get up for that local derby, but from what I saw in the two trials they are in for a long season. They will be battling down in that bottom four.

"Good luck to the Dragons. I wish them well."
I think this is a very honest assessment of the current state of things. I think Bird is a much better option at 5/8 than Norman particularly if de Belin is back at Lock.