What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random International News

yakstorm

First Grade
https://www.the-star.co.ke/sports/r...gue-team-to-play-five-test-matches-this-year/

Kenya Rugby League team have lined up five test matches this year.

KRL chairman, Richard Nyakwaka, said the two test series against South Africa will be played alongside matches against Fiji , Samoa and Tonga.

Nyakwaka said the test matches will be used to gauge the team's growth and potential. “We want to play against the top teams in the world and measure ourselves and inspire the young boys,” he added.

The two test series against South Africa earlier slated for last year were cancelled owing to to the Covid-19 pandemic. Nyakwaka was confident the team could qualify for the 2025 Rugby League World Cup.

“We have started the journey in terms of enrolment of players and match officials. We want to have a very vibrant league, where we can tap talent to mould and grow for the next three to four years,” he added.

The former Mwamba, Impala and Kenyan international expressed confidence that the domestic league will kick off in April. So far, the league has attracted eight teams from Kisii, Kakamega, Kisumu, Nakuru, Kitengela, Nkubu, Machakos and Kiambu.

“We have a very good spread of teams across the country and I hope in the next two seasons, we can expand to coast and other regions,” he observed.

The federation held their first tournament in February last year at the Railway club with Wolves overcoming Rhinos in the final.

Nyakwaka added that plans were in place to host a tournament at Kalama conservancy in Samburu in the course of the year.

"We are looking at various international teams coming over to Samburu in the course of the year though we are yet to settle for a date, ” he added.

welshmagpie

Juniors
The two game series against SA will be a good test for Kenya... I’m assuming the islands nations will be purely domestic players their end else you’re lacking at 100+ points easy.

yakstorm

First Grade
Hopefully the South African Tests can happen this year, the Rhinos desperately need regular internationals and are unfortunately quite geographically isolated.

Kenya is still not close (over 4,000kms away), but are a lot closer than Cameroon, Nigeria and Morocco.

It is nice seeing Rugby League mentioned in a Kenyan publication.

cameroonrl4.jpg

SHARE THIS
News
PLAYER AGENT LINKS WITH CAMEROON RUGBY LEAGUE TO CREATE TALENT PATHWAY
Published by RLEF
14 hours ago

Australian NRL-accredited player agent Michael Redpath, founder and director of the Strive Player Agency - which represents a number of young, emerging players in the southern hemisphere - has linked up with Cameroon Rugby League Association XIII in the hope of offering some of the best African talent greater opportunities within the sport.

“My motivation is to expand the game globally,” said Redpath. “Brad Fittler labelled Africa as the next frontier for rugby league recruitment in 2017 and there is clearly some great talent there, which we can hopefully help take to the next level.”

CRL XIII President, Adamou Sadjou commented: “The CRLA XIII is very grateful to work alongside Michael. This will be a source of motivation for our elite players and set up pathways for them. There is a bright future in Cameroon and within the MEA region.”

Cameroon head coach, Khalil Njoya added: “Having someone like Michael work to help get African players noticed is a big step for us - we must do our utmost to keep raising the game’s profile here. We need to get these players seen, it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity for them.”
https://www.intrl.sport/news/player-agent-links-with-cameroon-rugby-league-to-create-talent-pathway/

Kiwi legend Tawera Nikau will be the headline attraction of the Physical Disability Rugby League World Cup, which is due to be staged in the UK this November.

Nikau, who turned 54 on New Year’s Day, played for Sheffield Eagles, Ryedale-York, Castleford and Warrington Wolves. He has a wealth of World Cup experience, having played for New Zealand in the 1989-92 tournament before captaining Aotearoa Maori in their only appearance in the competition in 2000.

But two years after bringing the curtain down on his glorious Rugby League career, Nikau had his right leg amputated following a motorcycle accident in 2003.

The disability hasn’t held Nikau back. He has run three New York marathons and even managed to beat Tea Ropati, another ex-Kiwi, in the boxing ring.

Now he has turned his attention back to Rugby League and aims to help his side take the trophy back to New Zealand.

“I’ve just started playing Physical Disability Rugby League over the last year,” said Nikau.

“With the PDRL World Cup on later this year, pending Covid, I’ve made myself available for the New Zealand team,” he said.

“It would be great to take home the World Cup and that’s what we’ll be looking to do. We’ve done pre-season training and the boys are looking good.

“We’ll be playing England, Scotland, Wales and Australia and it’s going to be held at Warrington, so it’ll be great to play there again. Physical Disability Rugby League is pretty brutal and I’m pretty new to it, but I do have some experience. I played in a fundraiser for the Christchurch earthquake nine or ten years ago.”

The former Melbourne Storm Grand Final winner is also keeping an eye on British Rugby League because his son signed for his former club York during the winter.

Tyme Dow-Nikau signed for the Crusaders last year but didn’t play for them because of the pandemic.

“I speak to him every week and he’s really enjoying it,” said Nikau.

“It’s great that he’s playing for them 30 years after I was there. I really enjoyed my time at York. He’s even trying to copy my mullet and he’s staying with some good friends of mine.”

https://www.totalrl.com/nikau-to-pl...&utm_campaign=nikau-to-play-in-pdrl-world-cup

https://www.rlef.eu.com/articles/18...gue-clubs-receive-support-from-anatoly-karpov

The Association of Russian Rugby League clubs has received support and backing from former chess grand master Anatoly Karpov, who is chair of the nation’s Federation of National and Non-Olympic Sports (RUNNKS).

Corresponding with ARLC president, Alexander Kolikov, to confirm the competition’s acceptance within the body, Karpov wrote: ‘In 2020, RUNNKS had fruitful co-operation with the Association of Rugby League Clubs of Russia (the ARLC). For the near future we have scheduled a package of actions aimed at the development of Rugby League in Russia, including the establishment of the RUNNKS Rugby League Cup. I believe that under the management of Alexander Kolikov, the President of ARLC, and taking into account his professionalism and highest qualifications, the ARLC of Russia will occupy its rightful place in Russian sport.’

Kolikov commented: “I came to rugby league in 1963 after watching the film This Sporting Life and spent all of my playing career with the Spartak rugby club, where I later became coach. I deeply believe that the sport ideally fits to the Russian psyche.

“I have no doubt that proper management and sufficient financing will lead Russian clubs and the national team to becoming part of the elite of the European game. I am sure that our efforts and hard work will convince all here that rugby league has a true place. I know this will be tough but my team and I are ready, and we have already started overcoming those difficulties. Russian Rugby League is back to the brotherhood of the international arena and this is for very long time.”

This is the year of the Rugby League World Cup 2021

The Rugby League World Cup is taking place between the 23 October – 27 November this autumn and is the pinnacle of international Rugby League, globally contested every four years. RLWC2021 will be a breakthrough moment in the tournament’s history with the men’s, women’s and wheelchair competitions being staged together for the first time.

The three tournaments will take place in 21 venues across 18 host towns and cities in England. Both the women’s and wheelchair competitions will be contested by two groups of four teams, whilst the men’s tournament will see 16 teams compete across four groups.

RLWC2021 will be the most visible Rugby League event in history with all 61 games in the men’s, women’s and wheelchair competitions being broadcast live on the BBC.

Mission: Delivering the biggest and best ever Rugby League World Cup.

Vision: Creating inspirational moments that excite, engage and leave a long-lasting positive social impact.

yakstorm

First Grade
I feel that press release goes on an unnecessary tangent, outside of Anatoly Karpov being the chair of RUNNKS, I don't really see what support he has provided...

Regardless this is significant news for Russia finally getting some form of recognition.

I wonder if RUNNKS is the same as the Union of National and non-Olympic Sports of Russia (SNNVS)?

https://www.rlef.eu.com/articles/18...ue-club-helps-out-croatian-earthquake-victims

Players and staff from Bosnia and Herzegovian rugby league club Vitez have journeyed 250km to help in the aftermath of an earthquake in Petrinja, Croatia.

The epicentre of the 6.4 magnitude quake was located three kilometres from the city, situated in one of the poorest areas of the country. It initially happened at the end of the December and further aftershocks and mini quakes have been felt in January and again this month, leading to soil landslides and further building collapses. To date, seven people have lost their lives with another 26 being seriously injured.

Zeljko Ljubanic, president of the Rugby League Association of Bosnia and Herzegovina, said: “The whole situation caused a great sense of solidarity in the region, no matter its recent history, and we decided to travel to take humanitarian aid and help repair the consequences of the earthquake.

“Rugby league is one big family and we teach our athletes that solidarity and helping the weak are among the most important characteristics. We truly believe that our rugby league club should be an educational institution because we need to make better people out of young athletes.”

Ljubanic added: “We organized a humanitarian convoy for endangered areas, the team distributed help to those suffering, got acquainted with the scale of the catastrophe and, unfortunately, with the tragedies. Athletes with dirty jerseys and big hearts showed the humanity and character that adorns the sport.”

https://europeanrugbyleague.com/articles/1910/first-ever-rugby-league-match-in-montene...

The first-ever rugby league game has been played in Montenegro, in the second round of the 2021 Serbian First Division. Local side RLC South Region played host to Radnicki Belgrarde in the city of Bar on the Adriatic coast, the visitors travelling over 500km and winning 42-18.

For RLC South Region it was their sixth competitive game, having participated in the last two Balkan Super League competitions but first at home having joined the Serbian domestic competition this season. They are scheduled to play another five home fixtures before the start of the 2021 Balkan SL. The Rugby League Association of Montenegro is now expected to be established.

Jovan Petrovic, president of Rugby League Club South Region said: “I would like to thank the guys from Belgrade who, despite the pandemic and long trip, managed to play a game against us. For me, this was a very emotional day because my father passed away on Tuesday because of the Covid-19 virus, and this match in the sport I love sends the message that life will win.”

ERL regional director Jovan Vujosevic, added: “It is very important that rugby league continues to expand across Europe despite the effects of the pandemic. I am personally emotionally attached to Montenegro, it is the country of my ancestors and I always dreamed that the rugby league would be played there - now that day has come.”

Latest posts