What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith v parradontmatter

franklin2323

Immortal
Then why, last year did Manly beat the storm, Broncos beat Souths, Manly beat Roosters, Eagles beat the raiders..... The list goes on. All teams beating teams above them. If some games are easier because of position on the ladder, they wouldn't have won. A very poor and stupind generalisation.

Manly with Tom Turbo are far from a bad team though

mxlegend99

Referee
Then why, last year did Manly beat the storm, Broncos beat Souths, Manly beat Roosters, Eagles beat the raiders..... The list goes on. All teams beating teams above them. If some games are easier because of position on the ladder, they wouldn't have won. A very poor and stupind generalisation.
Would you say that a game against the Broncos is as tough as a game against the Storm?

Or a game against the Bulldogs was as tough as a game against Roosters?

There are easy games. Easy games don't mean you can't choke and lose them. We traditionally are great at losing easy games. There's no absolute guarantees. But every year there are a handful of teams who aren't close to the standard of average teams and are even further behind the top sides.

Now we cant with 100% certainty say what those teams will be in Round 1. But we have a rough idea based on 2020 and by round 5 in 2022 we should have an idea what teams will be battling for a spoon and if we are fair dinkum be no challenge for us at all. Which for the first time in a long time we disposed of all the shit teams in 2020 no matter what our roster looked like.

franklin2323

Immortal
Would you say that a game against the Broncos is as tough as a game against the Storm?

Or a game against the Bulldogs was as tough as a game against Roosters?

There are easy games. Easy games don't mean you can't choke and lose them. We traditionally are great at losing easy games. There's no absolute guarantees. But every year there are a handful of teams who aren't close to the standard of average teams and are even further behind the top sides.

Now we cant with 100% certainty say what those teams will be in Round 1. But we have a rough idea based on 2020 and by round 5 in 2022 we should have an idea what teams will be battling for a spoon and if we are fair dinkum be no challenge for us at all. Which for the first time in a long time we disposed of all the shit teams in 2020 no matter what our roster looked like.

Even when know the good and bad teams. Injuries, Short turnarounds etc can still mean the weaker teams win

WestyLife

First Grade
Simplest explanation. 2020: You could lose to the Storm while playing well but you'd have to play badly to lose to the Broncos.

Kilkenny

Coach
Someone will finish first in 2021 and someone will finish last. On any given day, even the lesser sides are capable of upsets. It is a tough competition. Some on here have automatically assumed we are guaranteed top 4, I don’t see it that way, I think we will have to be better than last season to finish in the top 4.

franklin2323

Immortal
Someone will finish first in 2021 and someone will finish last. On any given day, even the lesser sides are capable of upsets. It is a tough competition. Some on here have automatically assumed we are guaranteed top 4, I don’t see it that way, I think we will have to be better than last season to finish in the top 4.

What teams have improved that much?

Kilkenny

Coach
Simplest explanation. 2020: You could lose to the Storm while playing well but you'd have to play badly to lose to the Broncos.

2020 means nothing now. New season, new coaches, improved rosters so many variables and that doesn’t factor in injuries to key players which no one can predict.

Many of the media pundits are predicting we will finish outside the top four and are going to struggle to achieve what we did in 2020. It’s opinions, time will tell.

WestyLife

First Grade
2020 means nothing now. New season, new coaches, improved rosters so many variables and that doesn’t factor in injuries to key players which no one can predict.

Many of the media pundits are predicting we will finish outside the top four and are going to struggle to achieve what we did in 2020. It’s opinions, time will tell.
The same logic applies to every season just the teams change. I used 2020 to make my point easy to understand.

fact is the worst teams are easier to beat than the top teams, You can still lose any game but the bottom 4 won't beat a top 4 if the top 4 plays well.

Kilkenny

Coach
What teams have improved that much?

We don’t know the answer to that yet? Don't take anything for granted, just because the Broncos were garbage last season doesn’t necessarily mean they will be this season.

For mine we have a tough game in Round 1 against the Cowboys who were pretty ordinary in 2020, does it mean it is a guaranteed two points to start the season, no it’s not. We have to perform, be at our best and do the business, don’t just take any two points for granted, if you do, or the team does well that is a recipe for disaster.

Original Name

Juniors
The forward rotation will be interesting, I am keen to see if the Martin to prop rumours play out.
I felt we had May on to much towards the back end of the season, even before he stepped in to help in the centres. I can't see how we can do that and give capewell extra minutes.
I don't think there's been any Martin to prop rumours. It's just talk from hopeful fans. I'm the one who started it.

Original Name

Juniors
There are easy games. Easy games don't mean you can't choke and lose them.
You listen to any player talk about the NRL and they all say the same thing. The hardest thing is getting yourself up week after week. It's very easy to relax slightly when you're carrying niggling injuries have had some tough psychical games, key players played Origin, etc. You're committed 90% the other team is close to 100% they're roll you regardless of quality on paper. Look at the Dogs beating the Bunnies last year, it happens a fair bit every year.

Losing to teams weaker than yourself is a almost always a matter of mental fatigue or commitment. It's very rarely a matter of choking under pressure.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
The same logic applies to every season just the teams change. I used 2020 to make my point easy to understand.

fact is the worst teams are easier to beat than the top teams, You can still lose any game but the bottom 4 won't beat a top 4 if the top 4 plays well.

Yes, that’s true but the season hasn’t started yet and we don’t know who is likely to end up top four or bottom four. I don’t think we are automatic top four we have to earn it over a long hard gruelling season and a ball hasn’t even been kicked yet.

It seems to me there is a sense of entitlement on here where as we just have to turn up and the wins will follow. It just doesn’t work that way.

It is going to be tough, very tough to achieve top 4. If we enjoy a relatively injury free season and on going improvement from the younger stars then we are more than capable of achieving a top four position but taking it for granted as a given is just plain wrong.

franklin2323

Immortal
We don’t know the answer to that yet? Don't take anything for granted, just because the Broncos were garbage last season doesn’t necessarily mean they will be this season.

For mine we have a tough game in Round 1 against the Cowboys who were pretty ordinary in 2020, does it mean it is a guaranteed two points to start the season, no it’s not. We have to perform, be at our best and do the business, don’t just take any two points for granted, if you do, or the team does well that is a recipe for disaster.

Last year doesn't mean anything but looking at Broncos roster they are still far behind most sides. We were 5 wins clear of 4th place. 6 wins clear of 5th no one has improved their roster that much.

Again look at the Cows. Still the same holes in their roster. New coach.
We turn up with the right attitude we win

Doesn't mean we certainly win. We might get several injuries. A send off etc but against a bottom 4 team. I can't see Ivan or anyone being happy with anything outside a win

BxTom

Bench
Then how can some games be 100% easier if the poor teams can still beat you? As I said, a very poor generalisation.

Name me a coach that tells his players that this week is an easy game...

Kilkenny

Coach
Last year doesn't mean anything but looking at Broncos roster they are still far behind most sides. We were 5 wins clear of 4th place. 6 wins clear of 5th no one has improved their roster that much.

Again look at the Cows. Still the same holes in their roster. New coach.
We turn up with the right attitude we win

Doesn't mean we certainly win. We might get several injuries. A send off etc but against a bottom 4 team. I can't see Ivan or anyone being happy with anything outside a win

These sorts of conversations can be had after half a dozen rounds, when we can all see who is performing at what level.

Before we go off half cocked let’s just see how we are travelling after six rounds, not worry about any other side just hope we have more wins than losses and good performances.

franklin2323

Immortal
These sorts of conversations can be had after half a dozen rounds, when we can all see who is performing at what level.

Before we go off half cocked let’s just see how we are travelling after six rounds, not worry about any other side just hope we have more wins than losses and good performances.

So we can't comment until then? Various things will happen through out the year that will change it.

Cody Walker getting injured for Souths for example hurts them big time. As stuff like that happens then the prediction changes

WestyLife

First Grade
Then how can some games be 100% easier if the poor teams can still beat you? As I said, a very poor generalisation.

Name me a coach that tells his players that this week is an easy game...

You ignored the meat of that comment. The good teams will be able to beat you even when you play well which isn't the case for the bottom teams. you can have a bad day and lose to them but if you show up and play well you'll win. There's factors to consider like roster quality etc.

Kilkenny

Coach
So we can't comment until then? Various things will happen through out the year that will change it.

Cody Walker getting injured for Souths for example hurts them big time. As stuff like that happens then the prediction changes

Seriously, why do you feel the need to be so obstinate.

Comment all you like, you do anyway, I’m not going to try and stop you.

Season proper hasn’t started anywhere and we are favourites for all three grades according to you.

Happy days. Great season ahead.

Latest posts