What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Norman suspended

possm

Coach
Tut , tut possum ! You know there are times when I think that you don’t like the chap ?

But whatever - he has 2 weeks off and if he needs any further inducement that he has a very short life-span in the top grade then this is it . He must perform or he will be playing in the lower grades .

On the other hand perhaps there maybe someone in the hierarchy that has enough nouse to say to him “ Here’s a cheque for $500k Corey - have an early end to the season “ . The Dragons would be saving themselves $350k (?) to take up possum’s suggestion - worth a try ?
If Norman has breached his contract, then surely there is no good reason for the Dragons to give him 500k on termination. However, if he has not breached his contract, then whoever drew up that contract should be sacked and of course Norman should stay.

We have plenty of depth in the haves and Norman has not been a good buy at all. So, it is my view that if there is a way to terminate his contract, I'm all for it.

RedVee

First Grade
He shouldn’t miss a week for that - if it is as it was portrayed.

Pretty telling of his form and standing in the game that he wasn’t selected in either All Stars team.

Drakon

Juniors
He shouldn’t miss a week for that - if it is as it was portrayed.

Pretty telling of his form and standing in the game that he wasn’t selected in either All Stars team.
I'm sure the pending suspension complicated that when the teams were selected but you are probably right.

Dragon David

First Grade
Provocation, Corey stepped up for mate being vilified because of race wasn’t it?

If so, be should be given the f**king captaincy.

If so, I stand with him and I’d support a player strike in his honour.
Griffin doesn't think that the penalty the NRL has hit Norman with is deserved as Norman was there to help a mate who was called names which were racially vilified. Griffin says that the NRL needs to be careful with this decision for future cases whereby a player stands back and not help his mate thinking that he would bring the game into disrepute.

Why is it that the Dragons cop it hard most of the time and we just grin and bear it?

They have 'till Friday to appeal. Wouldn't surprise if they did and asked just for the fine rather than fine and suspension.

Hope there’s a go-fund me page to help him out.

He stood up for his mate being vilified because of his race.

Time for the NRL to have the courage to stand up against racism wherever they find it.

How dare they flog him.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Reports on Foxsports news are that Norman will be appealing his suspension. I think given the circumstances his case will be upheld.

possm

Coach
If Griffin can get Norman and Hunt playing to their best form this season, I'd be a very happy chappy! But it will be a hard task if we don't have a dominant pack.

Now that it seems Bird will be playing at left centre, I'd go for Kerr to be our right edge forward with Ford on the Bench and Lawrie as lock. That gives us a prop rotation of:
Vaughan
Faamausili
Alvaro
Ellis or Hunt

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Hope there’s a go-fund me page to help him out.

He stood up for his mate being vilified because of his race.

Time for the NRL to have the courage to stand up against racism wherever they find it.

How dare they flog him.

that’s what he said...all you need to do these days is get into a punch up and say you or your mate was racially vilified.

getsmarty

Immortal
Ben Hunt defends Norman after 'harsh' NRL move
Corey Norman [C] at Queensland Maroons training. Paul Kane/Getty Images
4:43 PM
  • AAP

New St George Illawarra captain Ben Hunt has launched into his captaincy with a staunch defence of teammate Corey Norman over his "harsh" NRL punishment.

As it stands, the former Parramatta and Brisbane playmaker will miss the opening round and was on Saturday fined $20,000 for bringing the game into disrepute following a street brawl earlier this year.

Norman claimed he and former NRL hooker James Segeyaro were blind-sided when a fight broke out after Segeyaro was subjected to racial abuse.

In justifying the punishment, NRL boss Andrew Abdo said "there was a degree of provocation which led to the incident, but as a game we have been very clear that provocation is not an excuse to engage in a street fight".

The club is yet to formally respond to the breach notice but Hunt, who car pools with halves partner Norman to training each day, felt the NRL had been heavy-handed as he begins life as Dragons captain under Anthony Griffin.

"It's pretty tough. The way I see it Corey was standing up for a mate and what's he meant to do in that situation?," Hunt said.

"You can't just stand back and cop it. "It's one I'll leave to the club and NRL to sort out, but from my point (of view) it's a bit harsh."

Hunt's view is shared by former Brisbane teammate Alex Glenn, who said the decision set a dangerous precedent.

"It's going to take one of us players to get put in the hospital because we can't defend ourselves in fear of your punishment before you realise that this was wrong?," he wrote on Instagram.

"You're meant to be protecting us. This is absolutely ludicrous."

Brisbane pair Kotoni Staggs and Payne Haas have both copped fines - and in Haas's case a three-game suspension - for separate incidents in the off-season as the ARLC chairman Peter V'landys vows to come down hard on player misbehaviour.

Meanwhile Hunt, who is set to weat the No.7 this season, said being awarded the Dragons captaincy had come as something of a surprise.

"I had a few days where I couldn't get to sleep at night (after Griffin told him he would replace Cameron McInnes as captain)," he said.

"It's a massive honour, it's such a special club with a lot of history and massive shoes (to fill)."

https://www.espn.com.au/nrl/story/_/id/30943703/ben-hunt-defends-corey-norman-harsh-nrl-move

Latest posts