What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tennis

Apey

Staff member
Do you mean 2019 AO, or the 2017 loss against Fed? Nadal won't ever win another set on hard court against Djokovic. It's a terrible match up for him since he slowed down after 2014.

Nadal has been very fortunate with the USO draws in 17/19, perhaps his luck will continue, but the USO does feel more open than any other slam. Wimbledon will work in Djokovic's favour, his serve has greatly improved, next gen are useless and especially on grass. It will be a wasteland soon, Fed/Nadal might have another good run in them but even now Nishikori and RBA made the last QF/SFs...the horror.

I'd say, presuming their bodies don't break down and without the prospect of any comparable talent (i.e. anything close to a young big 3 type), Nadal 2x RG with potential for a USO. Djokovic 2x AO, 1x USO, 2x Wimbledon. Fed's way too old & slow, but may pick up a Halle or Basel title.
Yeah 2017 sorry. I have 0 expectations for Nadal vs Djokovic at Aus Open.

US Open is definitely the most open. Wimbledon, any decent grass courters around besides Fed? Lol.

LatK7

First Grade
Yeah 2017 sorry. I have 0 expectations for Nadal vs Djokovic at Aus Open.

US Open is definitely the most open. Wimbledon, any decent grass courters around besides Fed? Lol.

Literally no decent grass court players left aside from Fed, except funnily enough Nadal, who since he's become more aggressive has done really well there. He's only lost recently to Federer and Djokovic...and he almost beat Djokovic.

Apey

Staff member
Literally no decent grass court players left aside from Fed, except funnily enough Nadal, who since he's become more aggressive has done really well there. He's only lost recently to Federer and Djokovic...and he almost beat Djokovic.
I honestly forgot about those. I have PTSD from his early exits before that.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Expected results really. Despite what the ranking say, Osaka is the real number 1 player. If she got to the semis she was winning.

Mens it was Djokovic's to lose, just like the French is Nadal's (I give Them a huge chance at the French though).

Wimbledon you'd expect Novak to win, but if Federer does have a brain he'd go all in for this tournament it's his only chance and he better hope Novak loses early he's not beating him.

US is way too open Novak plays awful there. This is one you might see a Zverev fluke a slam

LatK7

First Grade
Federer won't win Wimbledon
Expected results really. Despite what the ranking say, Osaka is the real number 1 player. If she got to the semis she was winning.

Mens it was Djokovic's to lose, just like the French is Nadal's (I give Them a huge chance at the French though).

Wimbledon you'd expect Novak to win, but if Federer does have a brain he'd go all in for this tournament it's his only chance and he better hope Novak loses early he's not beating him.

US is way too open Novak plays awful there. This is one you might see a Zverev fluke a slam

Agreed. Djokovic looks more vulnerable in the AO first week than Nadal at the French, but the field won't trouble them. Zverev should just retire after his AO performance against Djokovic. Worst top 10 flop in a while. Fed just wants to come back to jag a few wins and go out on his terms, he won't win Wimbledon even with Djokovic out of the draw.

Rodney Rude

Juniors
Barty out of Adelaide International, losing to Danielle Collins 6-3, 6-4.

Am I the only one who thinks Barty is terribly overrated?

horrie hastings

First Grade

Hmmmm winning a Grand Slam singles title is totally overated, just ask Sam Stour, Ash and Sam our last two Grand slam singles winners, before that was Evonne Goolagong in 1980, Ash overrated, i dont think so.

Last edited:

Wizardman

First Grade

Terrible call.....Barty is an excellent player. Collins is one of those players that is not real skilful but very determined. If you are off your best, Collins can take it to most.

Other tennis news, Novak equalled Fed this week as most weeks at number one. Barring injury, he is going to blow Fed's record off the park as he'll at the very least hold it until the end of this year.

Rodney Rude

Juniors
Hmmmm winning a Glam Slam singles title is totally overated, just ask Sam Stour, Ash and Sam our last two Grand slam singles winners, before that was Evonne Goolagong in 1980, Ash overrated, i dont think so.

You mean the French Open where she played only ONE seeded player in the whole tournament, Madison Keys who was seeded 14?

Just look at the past 2 Aus Opens where the draw just opened up for her and she still couldn’t win it.

Until she can regularly beat women like Osaka, Halep, Williams etc she will remain overrated.

horrie hastings

First Grade
You mean the French Open where she played only ONE seeded player in the whole tournament, Madison Keys who was seeded 14?

Just look at the past 2 Aus Opens where the draw just opened up for her and she still couldn’t win it.

Until she can regularly beat women like Osaka, Halep, Williams etc she will remain overrated.

She could only play the players she comes against so not her fault she played only one seeded player that tournament, considering she didn’t play for almost a year unlike other players who contested the US and French, I’m cutting her plenty of slack. The Australian Open in 2019 she had match point in the semi against Kenyan but couldn’t capitalise.on it, had she done that she would have been the first Australian Woman since Wendy Turnbulll in 1980 to make the Australian Open final. Ash is actually a breath of fresh air to have on the women’s circuit and not one of these mechanical robots who grunt and scream and even if she doesn’t win another Grand Slam she has already achieved way more than a lot on the circuit.

Apey

Staff member
Sucks that French Open and Wimbledon are on Stan Sport now. Seems like some matches will still be FTA on Channel 9 but not all, and I couldn't find if that will include all finals or not.

LatK7

First Grade
Strange draw. Nadal will bludgeon whoever makes it to the final on the other side, the favourites being Zverev (lol) and Tsitsipas. Thiem out already, his very disappointing season continues.

Djokovic's form looks mixed, but he might take a set off Nadal in the semi.

LatK7

First Grade
fed express retires from French open 😩

I was surprised at how well Fed managed given he'd played 3 times in 18 months. He might have some juice left for a decent Wimbledon run.

Shame Musetti collapsed in his match. He lost focus then his body looked to start giving out, which is a real disappointment. Djokovic was in a bit of strife there for a while. Not bad for a 19yo/first slam.

LatK7

First Grade
Gutsy display from Djokovic after the first set. Once he got some penetration on his shots he looked the better player, particularly with Rafa spraying errors everywhere. Hard to see Tsitsipas taking more than a set in the final.

Feel for Nadal a bit, nothing was working and looked very slow out there. Age may have caught up with him on clay now as well.

Latest posts