What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Norman suspended

getsmarty

Immortal
Hunt backs Norman in Dragons NRL suspension stoush
Dragons Den
r0_0_4930_3287_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

CLOSING RANKS: Dragons players are rallying around suspended teammate Corey Norman. Picture: Getty Images
NEW Dragons skipper Ben Hunt has wasted no time in the leadership stakes, throwing his support behind halves partner Corey Norman as the club moves towards a showdown with the NRL over the suspension that will rule him out of the season-opener.

Norman was issued a breach notice from the NRL on Saturday that slapped him with a two-game suspension, the second game suspended, and a $20,000 fine for his part in a Cronulla street fight in January.

The incident also involved former NRL players James Segeyaro, who claimed he was responding to racial taunts from a group of men when the melee broke out, with Norman coming to Segeyaro's aid.

In handing down the sanction, NRL CEO Andrew Abdo acknowledged the Integrity Unit found there was "a degree of provocation" that sparked the incident, but said violence was "not an acceptable response."

The sanction has been widely criticised as heavy-handed, with Dragons coach Anthony Griffin indicating the club will fight the sanction ahead of his side's round-one clash with Cronulla, with Hunt echoing the call on Monday.

"I drive down [from Sydney] to training every day with him and I remember when it first happened and we talked about it coming down [to training]," Hunt said.

"I just thought geez, some idiot's going around picking a fight and Normy just happened to be the one on the day. I didn't hear about [the sanction] until he got in the car that morning to come to training but, personally, I thought it was pretty harsh.

"I don't know what you're supposed to do in that situation when you've got four blokes having a go at you, you can't just stand back and cop it. What are you meant to do? It's four blokes against two, it would've been four on one if Corey didn't step in and try and help his mate out.

"I think every rugby league player's instinct is to step in and help their mate out. It can be hard to go out there and enjoy yourself when these thing can happen.

"I know the club's going to challenge the ruling and I'll have to leave it up to them but I think it's pretty tough personally."

Read more: Hunt takes charge as St George Illawarra captain

Segeyaro initially took to social media to explain the players' version of events via the Instagram page of YKTR, the pair's apparel and media company, with Norman enjoying no shortage of broader support.

Former Broncos teammate Alex Glenn took to Instagram to blast the punishment as "absolutely ludicrous" and suggesting players will be vulnerable to further attacks and provocations in public as a result.

"The message you're sending to the public is that anyone can attack us players and no consequences will come their way as they are not public figure, but the players involved will cop the punishment whether we're in the wrong or no. That's the real problem," the post read.

"It's going to take one of us players to get put in the hospital because we can't defend ourselves in fear of your punishment before you realise that this was wrong?"

ARLC chairman Peter V'landys has made it clear the game will be coming down hard on player misbehaviour, largely by hitting players in their hip pocket.

Broncos star Payne Haas was hit with the maximum $50,000 fine and three-game suspension after drunkenly abusing police officers on a night out at Tweed Heads in January, subsequently pleading guilty to a charge of intimidating police.

V'landys has promised heavier fines for any other off-field indiscretions, emboldened by an independent arbiter's decision in its favour over the no-fault stand-down policy that had been subject to a legal challenge from the Rugby League Players' Association.

An attempt to install NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller to the ARLC was aimed at addressing player misbehaviour but the appointment was scuppered on Sunday on the basis of "legal advice" that prevented carrying out both roles.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...acks-norman-in-nrl-suspension-stoush/?cs=3713

ALSGI

Bench
Hunt backs Norman in Dragons NRL suspension stoush
Dragons Den
r0_0_4930_3287_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

CLOSING RANKS: Dragons players are rallying around suspended teammate Corey Norman. Picture: Getty Images
NEW Dragons skipper Ben Hunt has wasted no time in the leadership stakes, throwing his support behind halves partner Corey Norman as the club moves towards a showdown with the NRL over the suspension that will rule him out of the season-opener.

Norman was issued a breach notice from the NRL on Saturday that slapped him with a two-game suspension, the second game suspended, and a $20,000 fine for his part in a Cronulla street fight in January.

The incident also involved former NRL players James Segeyaro, who claimed he was responding to racial taunts from a group of men when the melee broke out, with Norman coming to Segeyaro's aid.

In handing down the sanction, NRL CEO Andrew Abdo acknowledged the Integrity Unit found there was "a degree of provocation" that sparked the incident, but said violence was "not an acceptable response."

The sanction has been widely criticised as heavy-handed, with Dragons coach Anthony Griffin indicating the club will fight the sanction ahead of his side's round-one clash with Cronulla, with Hunt echoing the call on Monday.

"I drive down [from Sydney] to training every day with him and I remember when it first happened and we talked about it coming down [to training]," Hunt said.

"I just thought geez, some idiot's going around picking a fight and Normy just happened to be the one on the day. I didn't hear about [the sanction] until he got in the car that morning to come to training but, personally, I thought it was pretty harsh.

"I don't know what you're supposed to do in that situation when you've got four blokes having a go at you, you can't just stand back and cop it. What are you meant to do? It's four blokes against two, it would've been four on one if Corey didn't step in and try and help his mate out.

"I think every rugby league player's instinct is to step in and help their mate out. It can be hard to go out there and enjoy yourself when these thing can happen.

"I know the club's going to challenge the ruling and I'll have to leave it up to them but I think it's pretty tough personally."

Read more: Hunt takes charge as St George Illawarra captain

Segeyaro initially took to social media to explain the players' version of events via the Instagram page of YKTR, the pair's apparel and media company, with Norman enjoying no shortage of broader support.

Former Broncos teammate Alex Glenn took to Instagram to blast the punishment as "absolutely ludicrous" and suggesting players will be vulnerable to further attacks and provocations in public as a result.

"The message you're sending to the public is that anyone can attack us players and no consequences will come their way as they are not public figure, but the players involved will cop the punishment whether we're in the wrong or no. That's the real problem," the post read.

"It's going to take one of us players to get put in the hospital because we can't defend ourselves in fear of your punishment before you realise that this was wrong?"

ARLC chairman Peter V'landys has made it clear the game will be coming down hard on player misbehaviour, largely by hitting players in their hip pocket.

Broncos star Payne Haas was hit with the maximum $50,000 fine and three-game suspension after drunkenly abusing police officers on a night out at Tweed Heads in January, subsequently pleading guilty to a charge of intimidating police.

V'landys has promised heavier fines for any other off-field indiscretions, emboldened by an independent arbiter's decision in its favour over the no-fault stand-down policy that had been subject to a legal challenge from the Rugby League Players' Association.

An attempt to install NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller to the ARLC was aimed at addressing player misbehaviour but the appointment was scuppered on Sunday on the basis of "legal advice" that prevented carrying out both roles.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...acks-norman-in-nrl-suspension-stoush/?cs=3713
I’m calling BS on Norman’s story.

Best evidence is with Norman and Seggy.

Four blokes on 2 blokes and 2 girls. Cowards, like most racists are.

Hunts first act as captain is to stand up for his friend and the club against the nrl. I call that leadership. Good on him.

Mick fullers appointment as Police Commissioner hasn’t stopped people offending, why would it stop players offending if he was on the board? What sort of bullshit was that.

The game is in very questionable hands at the moment.

They seem more concerned about imaginary pr issues than ruck infringements and half backs getting smashed into the next world on the fifth!

Well done Benny Hunt. No player should be vilified or provoked by idiots out on the street. They can’t be expected to bend over and be victims like this, neither can you nor me.

Players have the right to the same legal protections as the rest of us. That includes the right to self defence if they are attacked -as the law defines it.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/f2003c2883535d8032f5d8c891a9a3ba

Hi Guys

Just an article from Foxsports in which Mark Geyer defends Norman and says that he would be crazy not to appeal.

Also, do you guys remember when Peter V'landy's made comment about Israel Folau sometime ago. He said -
"When I was at school and kids used to get bashed up because they were different, I used to go and defend them. I have no tolerance for people who put other people’s lives into violence or whatever."

Straight from the horses mouth. So Corey use this as your biggest argument .

Dragon David

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/f2003c2883535d8032f5d8c891a9a3ba

Hi Guys

Just an article from Foxsports in which Mark Geyer defends Norman and says that he would be crazy not to appeal.

Also, do you guys remember when Peter V'landy's made comment about Israel Folau sometime ago. He said -
"When I was at school and kids used to get bashed up because they were different, I used to go and defend them. I have no tolerance for people who put other people’s lives into violence or whatever."

I'm not a great fan of Corey as far as his inclusion in our squad is concerned as he hasn't done anything to write home about particularly when he is being paid big bucks, but, when he is put in a position of defending himself , Segeyaro and the women they were with on that night, then the punishment imposed by the NRL to me is not justified.

Hi Guys

I see the irony yes.

possm

Coach
Well, it seems to me that there is not a clause in Norman's contract related to controversial behaviour or being in breech of NRL policy mainly because instead of sacking Norman, our Club is defending him.

The investigation has concluded and the NRL has imposed a suspension and a fine. Now let's see if that penalty is based on actual facts or just a whim.

Belta

Juniors
I'm not a great fan of Corey as far as his inclusion in our squad is concerned as he hasn't done anything to write home about particularly when he is being paid big bucks, but, when he is put in a position of defending himself , Segeyaro and the women they were with on that night, then the punishment imposed by the NRL to me is not justified.

I agree 100% there would be something seriously wrong with our society if you couldn’t stand up for yourself in that situation. Fortunately as evidenced by the lack of police interest/action it is acceptable community behaviour, unless of course you’re an NRL player. No comparison to the Paas incident which was utterly deplorable (not to mention criminal) and rightly received a fine and suspension.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I agree 100% there would be something seriously wrong with our society if you couldn’t stand up for yourself in that situation. Fortunately as evidenced by the lack of police interest/action it is acceptable community behaviour, unless of course you’re an NRL player. No comparison to the Paas incident which was utterly deplorable (not to mention criminal) and rightly received a fine and suspension.
Yes indeed. Not sure what the NRL expected Norman to do. I suppose he could have left Segeyaro on his own with the 4 attackers and taken off. Can we imagine the 'fan' response to that?

Or maybe Norman should have run away after being punched the second time (he reportedly didn't retaliate to the first punch).

It was all over very quickly, with Norman and Segeyaro standing between the attackers and the women. The attackers / cowards by now had lost their bravado.

And agreed, I can't see why the Haas incident is brought up in the same breath.

Haas abused the police, was charged, pleaded guilty, apologised to police and the court gave him a two year good behaviour bond. There's no mistake, he knows he was wrong.

Norman's group were just going about their business early on a Friday night, and were attacked. The police were called, and they tried to find the perpetrators. They obviously saw nothing wrong with Norman defending himself, or coming to the aid of a mate who had 4 blokes attacking him.

The NRL's decision seems to be based more on the game's image than the reality of life.

redv13

Bench
Shit decision from headquarters who seem to move the goal posts whenever it suits their needs. Harsh penalty against Norman here and the NRL should have taken into account that there was no action taken by Police against him. Normans incident isn’t even a drop in the ocean compared to Haas, NAS etc etc

And the proposed appointment of commissioner fuller which is a clear conflict of interest and offers nothing to the board.

IMO a number of lu people would be able to offer a better consumer perspective.

They are making the Greenberger administration look like the pinnacle of democracy and executive strength!

since77

Juniors
Got to agree this is ridiculous. I’d like to see the back of Norman as much as most Dragons fans but despite his past indiscretions it seems he was taking the noblest path here.
And let’s imagine he didn’t get involved - then there’d be the stories about what a coward he was for not stepping in. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

BLM01

First Grade
I
Got to agree this is ridiculous. I’d like to see the back of Norman as much as most Dragons fans but despite his past indiscretions it seems he was taking the noblest path here.
And let’s imagine he didn’t get involved - then there’d be the stories about what a coward he was for not stepping in. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.
it is funny how Vlandys said in the Chalk and cheese Haas case (2nd incident in consecutive years he has admitted guilt) that The fans and clubs should not be penalised heavily hence why he’s only got three or four weeks plus the fine.
So why wasn’t fine sufficient in Normans case when there was no charge laid So the fans and club get penalised in this instance
As others have said it is just an image decision as is the no fault standdown policy

They use the sponsors supposedly wanting to walk as their $$ defence in potential loss of earnings.
I look at it the other way, with the sponsors they have seen a way to get brownie points with the public at large by getting their name out there and potentially get $$$ in the door by taking the moral stance and suiting the outraged.
The NRL well they believe they’ve gotta go into damage control to stop people walking away from the game but they’re already doing that for all other Administration reasons.
Whilst all legal and their right It’s a shame that society has come to that by bending at the knees (to what others have said on here) is what are the actual facts and rights of individuals.

Back to Norman and our club they should fight the game suspension vigorously, unless of course the NRL is in possession of facts that contradict what we’ve all been told and assume

The laws of the land don’t apply to nrl players.

They are kidding.

At any rate, I suspect that Corey and Seggy could have finished that fight pretty easily IMO.

They were quite composed at the tail end.

NRL players are very tough blokes.

The majority of fans & players are in Normans corner on this one. If he & his solicitor can’t convince the nrl that they got this wrong then nobody in the future is any hope.

Putting yourself in harms way for a mate under attack is no longer acceptable for the nrl.
91738147-B2D4-4D45-A875-17ECDF452013.jpeg
If you defended anyone from a racist attack in the street and my boss found out about it, he’d take you out to lunch and give you the rest of the week off on full pay.

We need Gallop back pronto.

Last edited: