What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2021

kit66

Bench
It's a shame most of our first string players only get one trial match to blow out the cobwebs and try out new combos. As a player I'd be taking this game fairly seriously, trial or not, unless you want to spend the year in CC. A squad of 24 is a bit much, the coaches must be very uncertain of their round 1 team to be running that many guys out. I'd have left Williame, Merrin, Clune and Ellis out for this one but would have given Wishart a run against the big boys - even 10-15 minutes would tell you a lot.
Anyway, 3 weeks to go and all our questions will be answered. Let the fun begin.

Just noticed a few people putting Kerr in the second row....why ? Aint gonna to happen....I hope.

Biglance

Bench
It's a shame most of our first string players only get one trial match to blow out the cobwebs and try out new combos. As a player I'd be taking this game fairly seriously, trial or not, unless you want to spend the year in CC. A squad of 24 is a bit much, the coaches must be very uncertain of their round 1 team to be running that many guys out. I'd have left Williame, Merrin, Clune and Ellis out for this one but would have given Wishart a run against the big boys - even 10-15 minutes would tell you a lot.
Anyway, 3 weeks to go and all our questions will be answered. Let the fun begin.

Just noticed a few people putting Kerr in the second row....why ? Aint gonna to happen....I hope.

Would not be surprised if in the last ten we'd see him or our other young dummy half

getsmarty

Immortal
remote.axd

Ben Hunt on Dragons captaincy

TEAM LISTS

Presented By

2021 Charity Shield squad named
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 23 Feb 2021, 03:57 PM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin has named a strong 24-man squad for the 38th annual Charity Shield against the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Mudgee's Glen Willow Stadium on Saturday, February 27 (6:30pm).

Ben Hunt will lead the team for the first time while the likes of Daniel Alvaro, Jack Bird, Kaide Ellis, Poasa Faamausili, Max Feagai, Josh Kerr, Andrew McCullough, Cody Ramsey and Jayden Sullivan will all play their first Charity Shield game.

The Dragons have lost both their pre-season trials to the Sharks and Eels so far, although the Charity Shield will allow players who featured in more than 12 games last year to have their first taste of footy in 2021.

Proceeds from Saturday's Charity Shield 50-50 raffle will support the Dragons Community Foundation and in turn St George and Wollongong Public Hospitals.

The Rabbitohs have held on to the Charity Shield since 2013 (seven wins, one draw) including a 26-12 victory last year.

This will be the fourth consecutive edition of the annual pre-season fixture to be held in Mudgee.

In their 37 previous Charity Shield clashes, the Dragons and Rabbitohs have recorded 16 wins each, with the two clubs drawing on five occasions.

2021 Charity Shield squad (alphabetical):
Daniel Alvaro, Jack Bird, Adam Clune, Matt Dufty, Kaide Ellis, Poasa Faamausili, Max Feagai, Jackson Ford, Tyrell Fuimaono, Ben Hunt, Jaiyden Hunt, Josh Kerr, Blake Lawrie, Zac Lomax, Andrew McCullough, Trent Merrin, Corey Norman, Jordan Pereira, Cody Ramsey, Mikaele Ravalawa, Tariq Sims, Jayden Sullivan, Paul Vaughan, Brayden Wiliame.

Timings for 2021 Charity Shield –
Gates open: 5:30pm
Main game: 6:30pm

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/02/23/2021-charity-shield-squad-named/

getsmarty

Immortal
bird.png

GAME DAY

Game day guide: Charity Shield
Author
Timestamp
Tue 23 Feb 2021, 04:41 PM
Share on social media
The Charity Shield will celebrate its 38th edition on Saturday night when the St George Illawarra Dragons and the South Sydney Rabbitohs take the field at Mudgee's Glen Willow Stadium.

Strong squads for majority's first and final pre-season hit-out
The Dragons and Rabbitohs have named their strongest possible line-ups ahead of Saturday evening's traditional pre-season trial.

Cameron McInnes's tragic ACL injury aside, the Dragons have no injuries en route to the Central West of New South Wales.

Ben Hunt will lead the team for the first time while the likes of Daniel Alvaro, Jack Bird, Kaide Ellis, Poasa Faamausili, Max Feagai, Josh Kerr, Andrew McCullough, Cody Ramsey and Jayden Sullivan will all play their first Charity Shield game.

Latrell Mitchell (hamstring) makes his long-awaited return for South Sydney after playing a starring role for the Indigenous All Stars team last weekend.

Jaydn Su'A and Liam Knight are unavailable, but the likes of Josh Mansour, Benji Marshall and Jai Arrow will don the myrtle and cardinal for the first time.

Former Dragons Jacob Host, Steven Marsters and Hame Sele will also line up for Souths.

The majority of players will feature in their first and final pre-season trial in accordance to the NRL's 2021 pre-season trial regulations.

First grade spots up for grabs
Jack Bird's pre-season might have been spent training in the forwards, but the local junior has made no secret of his desire to start his maiden Dragons campaigns in the centres.

Not content playing second fiddle, Brayden Wiliame and Max Feagai will have their own opportunities to impress against Souths after spending time there at different points in 2020.

Jordan Pereira, Mikaele Ravalawa and Cody Ramsey meanwhile are locked in a fierce battle for the two wing spots, while Tyson Frizell's departure has opened up a wide list of variables in the back row.

New recruits Daniel Alvaro, Kaide Ellis and Poasa Faamausili will vie for their own Round 1 forward pack opportunities in Mudgee alongside incumbents Josh Kerr, Trent Merrin, Paul Vaughan and Blake Lawrie.

Charity still the focus of annual tradition
The crown jewel of the NRL's pre-season calendar began in 1982 and so too did the tradition of supporting charities close to both the Dragons and Rabbitohs' hearts.

Proceeds from Saturday's Charity Shield 50-50 raffle will support the Dragons Community Foundation and in turn St George and Wollongong Public Hospitals.

The Dragons will also spend the week leading into the weekend's clash visiting various schools across the Central West of New South Wales.

Charity Shield's vicious cycle
The Dragons are on the precipice of losing their edge in overall Charity Shield history.

The Rabbitohs' sixth win in seven years, including 2020's 26-12 triumph, has each club on 16 victories apiece (with five draws to boot).

The Red V can ill-afford to lose Mudgee's fourth iteration of the Charity Shield if they wish to maintain the edge over a much-fancied South Sydney outfit.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/02/23/game-day-guide-charity-shield/

getsmarty

Immortal
TEAM LISTS

Behind enemy lines: Charity Shield v Rabbitohs
Author
Timestamp
Tue 23 Feb 2021, 04:10 PM
Share on social media
The South Sydney Rabbitohs have named their extended squad ahead of the annual Charity Shield match at Glen Willow Oval, Mudgee on Saturday, February 27th.

Rabbitohs Head Coach Wayne Bennett has named a 25-man squad to travel to Mudgee as South Sydney aims to claim its ninth-straight Charity Shield title.

Former Dragons Jacob Host, Steven Marsters and Hame Sele will line up against their old teammates.

South Sydney Rabbitohs' squad for Charity Shield v St George Illawarra Dragons –
1. Latrell Mitchell
2. Jaxson Paulo
3. Dane Gagai
4. Campbell Graham
5. Alex Johnston
6. Cody Walker
7. Adam Reynolds (c)
8. Tom Burgess
9. Damien Cook
10. Junior Tatola
11. Keaon Koloamatangi
12. Jacob Host
13. Cameron Murray

Interchange:
14. Blake Taaffe
15. Josh Mansour
16. Tautau Moga
17. Steven Marsters
18. Troy Dargan
19. Hame Sele
20. Benji Marshall
21. Mark Nicholls
22. Dean Hawkins
23. Patrick Mago
24. Jai Arrow
25. Joshua Cook

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/02/23/behind-enemy-lines-charity-shield-v-rabbitohs/

redv13

Bench
I find that very odd too. There are only two things I can think of which are a) He wants to push Macca for 80 to get him as match fit as possible and if he needs a spell they will just use a makeshift player to play 10-20 to give him a spell. Or b)He plans on using Sullivan or Clune off the bench as a hooker in round 1 and BB has dropped down the pecking order.
I personally don’t like the move as if Macca was to get injured I still think BB is a better option than any other makeshift options in our squad. The bloke played one bad trial match.
I think BB has a niggle but is listed to return round 1

This Year?

Immortal

I'm guessing the reason is because we have poor depth in the back row which would give him more minutes. I know he's purely a prop, but imagine having him running at you if you were a halfback or edge forward. He's got a bit of footwork and an offload, imagine him becoming a Kikau type player (but obviously not as good as Kikau).

BLM01

First Grade
I'm guessing the reason is because we have poor depth in the back row which would give him more minutes. I know he's purely a prop, but imagine having him running at you if you were a halfback or edge forward. He's got a bit of footwork and an offload, imagine him becoming a Kikau type player (but obviously not as good as Kikau).
I think Kikau is overrated and us a bit lazy. has a few errors and penalties in him.
Yeh sure the commentators love him from those tries he scored a few years ago but after last year he went missing for mine and plays like the gentle giant.
he is big and can run into a hole provided for him and over small blokes but that’s it.
Maybe it was the bleached hair... it has affected many
JFH and Yeo are Penriths premium bigger men and carried them last year

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I think Kikau is overrated and us a bit lazy. has a few errors and penalties in him.
Yeh sure the commentators love him from those tries he scored a few years ago but after last year he went missing for mine and plays like the gentle giant.
he is big and can run into a home provided for him and over small blokes but that’s it.
Maybe it was the bleached hair... it has affected many
JFH and Yeo are Penriths premium bigger men and carried them last year
it’s the bleached hair; Widdop’s formed dropped significantly after his blonde transformation; never the same!

kit66

Bench
This would have been a good opportunity to give Blacker another run, he showed some good signs in the earlier trials. We need to develop him quickly and get him in the 17, you don't want a big, strong 116kg prop being wasted in CC, at 21 years old he should be a regular very soon. He's got to be a better option than Ellis whose only good performance for us so far was last week against reserve graders like himself.

SnowDragon

Juniors
This would have been a good opportunity to give Blacker another run, he showed some good signs in the earlier trials. We need to develop him quickly and get him in the 17, you don't want a big, strong 116kg prop being wasted in CC, at 21 years old he should be a regular very soon. He's got to be a better option than Ellis whose only good performance for us so far was last week against reserve graders like himself.

I was of the opinion that Blacker wasn’t going to be ready for a while. His game last year looked indecisive, and he seemed lazy and in defence laterally incapable. The first 15mins or so of the 1st trial game me a few images that I took for confirmation bias... but then he started to increase his efforts and with confidence I think I started to see real promise. Not saying he is ready, nor in the top 5 props we have for round1, but the next 12months may not be too early to give him some extra game time

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I was of the opinion that Blacker wasn’t going to be ready for a while. His game last year looked indecisive, and he seemed lazy and in defence laterally incapable. The first 15mins or so of the 1st trial game me a few images that I took for confirmation bias... but then he started to increase his efforts and with confidence I think I started to see real promise. Not saying he is ready, nor in the top 5 props we have for round1, but the next 12months may not be too early to give him some extra game time
Hopefully CC all goes smooth and he really cements his place as one the premier Reggies props going around. If our props go well there is a good chance Kerr, and possibly Vaughan get named for origin so he should get a few FG games throughout the year.