What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French national teams new staf, FRAYSSINOUS full-time coach, TRENT ROBINSON Director of Rugby.

yakstorm

First Grade
This is great news for France. Whilst personally I'd like Robinson being the main coach, this is the next best thing.

David Collado as manager makes for a pretty impressive trio.

adamkungl

Immortal
This is great news for France. Whilst personally I'd like Robinson being the main coach, this is the next best thing.

David Collado as manager makes for a pretty impressive trio.

I suspect Robinson is of the belief that a full time NRL job is not compatible with a head coaching job on the other side of the world. As we've seen with Bennett's England results, it's hard to argue with that.

Certainly throws a cat amongst the pigeons in Group A though. The perceived gap between France and Samoa for 2nd place just shrunk big time.

yakstorm

First Grade
I suspect Robinson is of the belief that a full time NRL job is not compatible with a head coaching job on the other side of the world. As we've seen with Bennett's England results, it's hard to argue with that.

Certainly throws a cat amongst the pigeons in Group A though. The perceived gap between France and Samoa for 2nd place just shrunk big time.

Agreed, especially if Matt Parish is still coaching Toa Samoa at the end of the year.

If nothing else, the combination of coaches should go a long way to building on the work that Aurelien Cologni did to try and restore pride in the French national jersey. We are more likely to see the top players make themselves available, and any players who are eligible via heritage also more likely to consider putting their hands up.

adamkungl

Immortal
Agreed, especially if Matt Parish is still coaching Toa Samoa at the end of the year.

If nothing else, the combination of coaches should go a long way to building on the work that Aurelien Cologni did to try and restore pride in the French national jersey. We are more likely to see the top players make themselves available, and any players who are eligible via heritage also more likely to consider putting their hands up.

On the players they have in Super League, the strong home grown pathways, there's no reason - other than classic RL self sabotage - that France can't compete at least for 4th place on the rankings.
Toulouse stepping up to Super League, Elite One expansion, and Pacifique Treize are all cards yet to be played.
Tonga and Samoa will continue to rely on Aus and NZ immigration, I've seen nothing to suggest they are seriously investing in pathways from the islands to high level football, unlike PNG and Fiji. Tonga has the short term advantage but I would be very surprised if it sticks.

It wouldn't surprise me if by the mid-late 2020s, France, Fiji and PNG are the 4th-6th ranked nations.