What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League in the US

yakstorm

First Grade
So after a number of seasons of it feeling like the game was 'treading water' a bit, it feels like Rugby League in the US is set to explode in 2021, with the country set to enjoy possibly the most significant period of growth since the Jacksonville Axemen helped establish the Southern Conference.

Kicking off the growth is the announcement that the South Florida Speed will join the Premier competition, bringing the national competition to 12 teams and providing some nice balance between the North and South Conferences.

We then have significant opportunities coming off the back of the formation of Masters, Women and Wheelchair affiliate leagues which, if nothing else, are helping solidify the code around some of the existing clubs.

The USA Masters, which is predominantly based out of the South East, will feature four teams initially, with these being:
  • Jacksonville Axemen
  • Mid-Atlantic Reapers
  • Orlando Gators
  • Tampa Mayhem
The USA Women's Rugby League will be running a Nines circuit, starting in Tampa Bay and featuring at least the Mayhem and Speed, on May 15, with legs scheduled for Los Angeles (June 12), Salt Lake City (July 10th) and Chicago (August 20); whilst the US Wheelchair Rugby League is hosting Combines in South Carolina.

Outside of the established structures on the East, there is encouraging signs throughout the rest of the country with the highlight being the California Rugby League's six team competition featuring:
  • East Palo Alto Razorbacks
  • Los Angeles Mongrel
  • San Francisco Savage
  • Sacramento Young Tigers
  • Sacramento Immortals
  • North Bay Bandits
You then have the Salem club being formed in Oregon, the continued work being done in Cleveland and the Mid-West, plus the Vermont based Queen City Royals floating about.

Now I'm sure there is stuff I'm missing, but to me this is all really encouraging and hopefully will lead to a period of solid and consistent growth of the sport.

NRLMad

Juniors
So after a number of seasons of it feeling like the game was 'treading water' a bit, it feels like Rugby League in the US is set to explode in 2021, with the country set to enjoy possibly the most significant period of growth since the Jacksonville Axemen helped establish the Southern Conference.

Kicking off the growth is the announcement that the South Florida Speed will join the Premier competition, bringing the national competition to 12 teams and providing some nice balance between the North and South Conferences.

We then have significant opportunities coming off the back of the formation of Masters, Women and Wheelchair affiliate leagues which, if nothing else, are helping solidify the code around some of the existing clubs.

The USA Masters, which is predominantly based out of the South East, will feature four teams initially, with these being:
  • Jacksonville Axemen
  • Mid-Atlantic Reapers
  • Orlando Gators
  • Tampa Mayhem
The USA Women's Rugby League will be running a Nines circuit, starting in Tampa Bay and featuring at least the Mayhem and Speed, on May 15, with legs scheduled for Los Angeles (June 12), Salt Lake City (July 10th) and Chicago (August 20); whilst the US Wheelchair Rugby League is hosting Combines in South Carolina.

Outside of the established structures on the East, there is encouraging signs throughout the rest of the country with the highlight being the California Rugby League's six team competition featuring:
  • East Palo Alto Razorbacks
  • Los Angeles Mongrel
  • San Francisco Savage
  • Sacramento Young Tigers
  • Sacramento Immortals
  • North Bay Bandits
You then have the Salem club being formed in Oregon, the continued work being done in Cleveland and the Mid-West, plus the Vermont based Queen City Royals floating about.

Now I'm sure there is stuff I'm missing, but to me this is all really encouraging and hopefully will lead to a period of solid and consistent growth of the sport.
Love this stuff, keep us updated - I’m sure many people don’t know all of that - so awesome work man

ed612313

Juniors
Im glad to hear but there is some serious money getting involved in US union this coming year....

yakstorm

First Grade
Rugby Union boasts over 125,000 registered players and more than 2,500 clubs in the US... Compare that with League which this year might have, at most, maybe 30 clubs take the field this year and if we're lucky might get close to 1,000 participants (reality is more likely to be around 20 clubs playing, and about 500 or so people taking the field)

We are a long way behind and shouldn't even be trying to compare ourselves with Union in the US. Instead the focus needs to be on how do we get to 100 clubs and then 200 and so on. At least if we grow that base, then, and only then, might we be able to start looking at trying to raise some sort of significant investment.

ed612313

Juniors
I agree with you but am iright in saying that 10 or 15 years ago league had the upper hand?
It kills me as i know adam who is the owner of F45 gyms and has just jumped onboard usa rugby (LA giltinis)... And he has the money these days to really push rugby in the US which raises concerns

Latest posts