What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Jets

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’m not sure coming out and saying you are going to rape and pillage one of the nrls most important clubs is a good strategy to getting in!

MugaB

Coach
The frontrunner for NRL expansion has revealed its blueprint. Two Maroon stars are front and centre
  • February 24, 2021 9:27am
  • GEORGE CLARKE
The man leading the bid for the Brisbane Jets to enter the NRL in 2023 has revealed his blueprint for how – if successful – his side would look.

A decision on the three existing bids is expected later this year with the 17th NRL team expected to be good to go for Round 1 2023. The two other options are the Redcliffe Dolphins and the Brisbane Firehawks.

Nick Livermore is the bid lead for the Jets franchise after his previous venture – the Brisbane Bombers – and the Western Corridor side amalgamated earlier this month.

Here he takes foxsports.com.au through how the Jets want to establish themselves and their blueprint to take the NRL by storm.

THE TALENT

Livermore has made no bones about it. He wants to sign the very best Queenslanders.

Storm duo Harry Grant and Cameron Munster were part of the Maroon’s against-odds Origin victory and are on high on the Jets’ shopping list.

Taking inspiration from how the Broncos and Titans entered the competition, Livermore says the Jets would go shopping for top-shelf talent. .

“As a young guy when the Broncos came in there was Wally Lewis, Gene Miles and Allan Langer competing against the best guys from Sydney,” he told foxsports.com.au.

“I think we can emulate that with a Cameron Munster or Harry Grant. Ultimately more rugby league heroes in Brisbane will attract fans.

“That’s what the success of the Broncos has been built on with (Darren) Lockyer, (Steve) Renouf, (Kevin) Walters, (Glen) Lazarus.

“People wanted to see icons play week in week out and we want to do the same.

“When the Titans came in 2005 they signed Scott Prince at halfback, Preston Campbell at fullback and Luke Bailey in the engine room. They spent a lot of money on marquee players. “Then they got guys like Anthony Laffranchi, Mat Rogers, Mark Minichiello and Ash Harrison. They had their work station and by year four they were a game from the grand final, people seem to forget that about the Titans.

“Absolutely I’d love a Josh Papalii, but he’s very happy in Canberra. Junior Paulo is one of the nicest blokes I’ve ever met.”

Grant comes off contract in 2022, with a mutual option in place between him and the Storm.

Munster, however, is not a free agent until the 2024 season – one year after the successful franchise would enter the NRL.

Livermore, however, does not expect dispensation to be able to land superstar signings.

“I think it would help,” he says. “But to expect that in the competitive environment with the other 16 clubs I’m not holding my breath. You will attract the players anyway with the right coach so you don’t need any dispensations like that. I wouldn’t say no, but I couldn’t see that coming into effect.”

THE COACH

Speaking of the coach and the Jets have been ambitious. Like the on-field talent, they want the best of the best.

Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett are the two top targets.

“I come back to culture, you need men who act with integrity and treat people with respect,” Livermore said.
“You want great players but if you can get great people around them, then that culture will continually perform.

“Look at the Storm with how few off-field discretions they have had over the last 20 years compared to other clubs – the culture is strong with guys like Craig Bellamy and (football manager) Frank Ponissi. They don’t put up with garbage. It’s about having someone who can lead a good culture.”

THE MERGER

Before they’ve even started the Jets are already a merger. How rugby league.

The link with the Ipswich club and the city-based Bombers, Livermore argues gives the best of both worlds.

“We looked at the link with Toowoomba and South Logan and between those two places we had Ipswich,” Livermore explains.

“So we said: ‘what’s going to be the best for the game?’ We started the conversation about 18 months ago and we’re still working through some nuances. But ultimately we’re keen to represent the entire south east corner of Queensland together. In terms of the fanbase, there’s more than enough to go around.

“Home would be somewhere in between the two places. You need to be accessible to the media. That’s what the Broncos have done great because they’re at Red Hill. You need radio, TV and print to be easy to get there. Springfield is about as far out of the city I’d like to go. There are a number of factors at play.

“We need a city presence because this is the biggest market between Sydney and Singapore. We want to capture the entire Logan area, moving west to Ipswich and Toowoomba and through the Lockyer Valley which is a really untapped area.

“The Dolphins have just done a partnership with the Warriors, the Storm are linked with the Sunshine Coast Falcons and the Broncos have their clubs, so it’s about maximising the footprint. We’ve identified that is one of the fastest growing regions in the country.”

THE DOLLARS

Livermore says the club won’t be relying on money from licensed clubs to underwrite the football side of the business.

Nor will it be supported by one sole benefactor. The Jets don’t have a Nathan Tinkler, Clive Palmer or Tony Sage, for example.

“We don’t want to rely on people gambling to back up our clubs. I think it can be quite a depressing form of entertainment,” he adds.

“I think we want to move beyond that. It’s quite a narrow view. You’ve got to structure yourself around your digital and commercial partnerships along with private equity.

“It’s also with things like government and television partnerships, corporate hospitality, merchandising, membership, you suddenly have seven or eight silos running to generate revenue. For us it’s about private equity. There’s two investors who are seven-figure investors who I won’t name, but we don’t want one person who underwrites the whole bid. We have commercial guarantees in place over the next five years.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/11cd94a9e714ac4e0ad714dbfc10303c
Livermore at it again, its nice to say that you're head hunting these two players but im sure the storm wouldn't be too fond of hearing that, and what's Junior Paulo got to do with Josh Papali, is this guy just spit balling names?
I hope that this joint bid has legs, not just lip service to foxsports every few weeks, i see no difference between this bid and that of the dolphins, both are over 40mins away from suncorp, and if the jets were to become the 17th club surely they would be green as the main color, something that represents ipswich, not another blue team please

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Cool!!!

The Bombers branding was mostly good:
- Great colours (No one uses Orange, even the Tigers dont use Orange)
- Cool logo (Kingsford-Smith was a nice touch)
- Good vibe (if they commit to the 1940-Americana thing, they could produce some great stuff)

The only problem was the STUPID F*CKING NAME!!!

Good work by both of these groups to set aside egos to give themselves the best chance of getting picked. The Ipswich connection should prevent the club feeling too plastic, while the different colours/logo/location name should give Ipswich Jets-haters enough distance to feel ok about supporting this team.

Great work all around

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a sneaking suspicion that the NRL will actually choose the Jets AND Dolphins later this year?

V'landys has talked about not expanding to rusted-on AFL states, extra money probably won't come without a 9th game per weekend, and both the Jets AND Dolphins steer clear of Broncos and Titans territory.

Would not surprise me at all if Dolphins get the nod for 2023, and Jets for 2025.

THEN South-East Queensland will be sorted, and the NRL can look towards Perth, NZ2 & Adelaide - either by expansion and/or relocation.

Im coming around on this Idea. I want Perth and Adelaide to get teams above Bris3, but Sydney > Perth/Adelaide relocations are far more likely than Sydney > Brisbane.

Noself-respecting Sydney team would relocate to brisbane and no self-respecting Brisbane fan would support them.

This double SEQLD entrance and a hard push for Sydney > Perth/ Adelaide relocations would solve the team spread perfectly.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The problem isn't that blue and orange don't work, it's that the NRL doesn't need any more blue teams.

There're plenty of orange and blue teams around the world that have more recognisable brands than any of the NRL teams. Take the New York Mets, Edmonton Oilers, or Chicago Bears, for example, nobody in their right mind would say they have bad brands or that their colours don't work.

Split the difference. Orange and Green?

flippikat

Bench
(Re: 2 Brisbane teams joining in this phase of expansion)

Im coming around on this Idea. I want Perth and Adelaide to get teams above Bris3, but Sydney > Perth/Adelaide relocations are far more likely than Sydney > Brisbane.

Noself-respecting Sydney team would relocate to brisbane and no self-respecting Brisbane fan would support them.

This double SEQLD entrance and a hard push for Sydney > Perth/ Adelaide relocations would solve the team spread perfectly.

Precisely.

Having 3 teams in greater Brisbane is enough. I can't see the NRL wanting to add more after that, and it solves the footprint for Queensland until the Sunshine Coast or Central Qld reach the critical mass needed for an NRL team - which is a long way away (if ever).

That can even be mitigated by having the Cowboys take a game each year to Rockhampton & the Dolphins take a game each year to the Sunshine Coast.. so those areas have *some* exposure to top flight footy, and a connection to their nearest team.

As for relocations, you're right - Queensland will never accept a Sydney club moving there, but if it was moved to AFL-land (or even NZ) it could work. Keep in mind AFL moved the Swans & Lions to the eastern states without a strong AFL history & rivalry with Victoria, and not SA or WA.

The stumbling block to that is there seems to be no real desire to tackle Sydney's oversaturation in a way that'll preserve these brands (relocation or a strong, statewide state cup ala Qld Cup).

If Brisbane has 3 NRL teams, Sydney (twice the population) should have about 6 right?

There's 8 and a half NRL Sydney clubs now (counting Dragons as half) - so a relocation to Perth, a relocation to Adelaide gets it to 6 and a half - and that's without even considering moving the Dragons to Wollongong fulltime, nor does it consider moving a Sydney club to Gosford.

Food for thought.

[Edit] to put it into perspective, adding 2 Brisbane teams (18 team competition) and relocating a Sydney team to Perth and another to Adelaide gives the following breakdown:

18 teams
6.5 Sydney teams
3 Brisbane teams
5.5 other teams in rugby league-heartland (Auckland, Canberra, Townsville, Newcastle, Gold Coast, Woolongong counting as half)
3 teams in AFL-land (Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide)

If THAT can be the look of the competition by the end of this decade, that's progress.

Last edited:
Yeah let's screw Brisbane by oversaturating it with tiny suburban clubs like we screwed Sydney. What could go wrong right!?

People want to know why the sport isn't as big as it could/should be, or why it's not as big as the AFL, well you reap what you sow.
You're like a broken record.

I’m not sure coming out and saying you are going to rape and pillage one of the nrls most important clubs is a good strategy to getting in!

How is getting two Queenslanders to play for a new Queensland club a bad strategy?

The Storm have been raping and pillaging the QRL and RL in general since 1998. Victoria has a history of raping and pillaging the rest of Australia. They have the Australian Open despite producing the shittiest tennis players in Australia, stole the F1 from Adelaide and turned it into a shit event and built the Storm from the remains of 3 clubs, including one from Perth. For years the tax payers were forced to bundle out the ailing car manufacturing industry in Victoria, while industries in Queensland were left to fend for themselves. They even have QANTAS based in Melbourne, despite the name standing for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Service.

The Storm have had plenty of success at the expense of everyone else. If a few of the Queenslanders they poached decide to go back to Brisbane then stiff shit for the Storm. It'll serve them right for never trying to develop home grown talent.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
The Storm have had plenty of success at the expense of everyone else. If a few of the Queenslanders they poached decide to go back to Brisbane then stiff shit for the Storm. It'll serve them right for never trying to develop home grown talent.

That accusation (or a spin on it) is often landed at many dominant teams..and to be fair, recruitment plays a part - the late 80s/early 90s Raiders were built on recruitment of the best Qld & NZ talent available, much like the Storm 20ish years later.. but at least the Raiders had some locally-sourced talent in the mix. The Storm don't seem to have done much for pathways for Victorian talent.. and that's worrying.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You're like a broken record.

How is getting two Queenslanders to play for a new Queensland club a bad strategy?

The Storm have been raping and pillaging the QRL and RL in general since 1998. Victoria has a history of raping and pillaging the rest of Australia. They have the Australian Open despite producing the shittiest tennis players in Australia, stole the F1 from Adelaide and turned it into a shit event and built the Storm from the remains of 3 clubs, including one from Perth. For years the tax payers were forced to bundle out the ailing car manufacturing industry in Victoria, while industries in Queensland were left to fend for themselves. They even have QANTAS based in Melbourne, despite the name standing for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Service.

the nrl doesn’t care where Storm get their players from, they do care that they are successful. Vlandys has said one of the key deciding factors will be not weakening existing clubs, publicly saying your going to take the storms two key players is not the message the nrl want to hear!

That accusation (or a spin on it) is often landed at many dominant teams..and to be fair, recruitment plays a part - the late 80s/early 90s Raiders were built on recruitment of the best Qld & NZ talent available, much like the Storm 20ish years later.. but at least the Raiders had some locally-sourced talent in the mix. The Storm don't seem to have done much for pathways for Victorian talent.. and that's worrying.
I have grave concerns for the Storm once their fairytale run is over. It's great they're averaging 16k to MRS and carved out a niche as a 2nd club for Victorians to support behind their AwFuL club, but how many will stick around when they have a dry spell like the Titans?

If they were able to grow their player base during their successful years like AwFuL did in Brisbane and Sydney, then there would be a young supporter base to draw upon when club goes through a lean period and not be in such a precarious position when the flow of talent from heartland areas starts to dry up. At it is they're heavily reliant on the heartland areas for talent just so that they can carve out a niche following in an overly saturated sports market, which is a recipe for disaster and stagnates growth in other cities like Adelaide and Perth.

Teams in Adelaide, Perth and NZ2 would have a larger following after 20 years.

the nrl doesn’t care where Storm get their players from, they do care that they are successful. Vlandys has said one of the key deciding factors will be not weakening existing clubs, publicly saying your going to take the storms two key players is not the message the nrl want to hear!
Munster is on the record saying he would consider playing for Brisbane 2, as he's a Queenslander and Brisbane is closer to his family.

Any club that enters the league is going to be competing with the other 16 clubs for players, sponsors, prime time television games and fans.

Participation levels in the heartland areas cannot keep the game afloat forever. They've declined, and with concussions being a hot issue and the game becoming more suited to large, fast and powerful athletes, they'll probably continue to drop. It's imperative we get more people in non-traditional areas to play the game so that there's enough elite athletes to accommodate expansion. If the quality of the product drops then casual fans will switch off.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I have grave concerns for the Storm once their fairytale run is over. It's great they're averaging 16k to MRS and carved out a niche as a 2nd club for Victorians to support behind their AwFuL club, but how many will stick around when they have a dry spell like the Titans?

If they were able to grow their player base during their successful years like AwFuL did in Brisbane and Sydney, then there would be a young supporter base to draw upon when club goes through a lean period and not be in such a precarious position when the flow of talent from heartland areas starts to dry up. At it is they're heavily reliant on the heartland areas for talent just so that they can carve out a niche following in an overly saturated sports market, which is a recipe for disaster and stagnates growth in other cities like Adelaide and Perth.

Teams in Adelaide, Perth and NZ2 would have a larger following after 20 years.

maybe, maybe not. Good thing is we know when they are successful they have a bigger fanbase than most clubs who’ve been around for a heck of a lot longer. The Iikes of roosters, Souths, manly, Cronulla, cowboys etc have had success and hardly, or not at all, grown. At least melbourne is showing it’s real potential by being in top 5 for crowds and memberships. Sure it will drop if they have a poor run off the field but hopefully not too much. Not having their best players tha5 they have brought through signed up by the new club will help the nrl remain strong in Victoria, something I’m sure the commission will be cognisant of.

maybe, maybe not. Good thing is we know when they are successful they have a bigger fanbase than most clubs who’ve been around for a heck of a lot longer. The Iikes of roosters, Souths, manly, Cronulla, cowboys etc have had success and hardly, or not at all, grown. At least melbourne is showing it’s real potential by being in top 5 for crowds and memberships. Sure it will drop if they have a poor run off the field but hopefully not too much. Not having their best players tha5 they have brought through signed up by the new club will help the nrl remain strong in Victoria, something I’m sure the commission will be cognisant of.
Cowboys haven't had success like Storm. We've played in 3 GFs since 2005 and won 1. The stadium we played at until last year didn't even have built-in shithouses. Portable dunnies were brought in for game day. It was out in the suburbs too. We don't know how many fans we'll get at our new stadium as we got to play 1 game on it before COVID-19 put a limit on crowds. That 1 game was a sell out. Cowboys have been at the bottom of the ladder for 3 years in a row. Give us 20 years of dominance, like the Storm have had, then we can compare the clubs.

Cronulla had to wait half a century before they won a premiership.

Last edited:

Diesel

Coach
Is the sporting culture in Victoria to support your team no matter how bad they are? Or is that just AFL.

sure the storms crowds would drop but if they’re averaging 16k now, what would it be if they were fringe top 8

I'm not against it, in fact I don't really have a dog in the fight, but I would warn that orange and green can be hard to pull off.

Green would have to be the dominant colour.
You're entitled to your opinion. I agree with some of your opinions. Let's just hope whichever way they go, it succeeds. If they go with Adelaide and Perth then I hope it succeeds. When Melbourne fall from the top I hope they still pull good attendances and ratings. No bid is ever going to be perfect and whoever they go with will upset some one.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
I'm not against it, in fact I don't really have a dog in the fight, but I would warn that orange and green can be hard to pull off.

Green would have to be the dominant colour.
Yeah, I don’t think those colours go together in a sporting sense. They’d get nicknamed ‘the carrots’