What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Wittenberg

Juniors
Engine room needs to fire first, do we have the pack!!
No we don’t unfortunately. Fui is alway a mistake waiting to happen, Ford, on what he showed last year is a worker but has not convinced me he is much more. Kerr shows promise but goes missing during games and does not indicate he has the workload capacity in him to step into the shoes of the forwards we have lost over the last two years. Laurie will really need to step up and expand his game. We have some up and comers but expecting too much from them might be too much this year. We lack forwards, that will hurt us badly but onward and upwards guys.

Gareth67

First Grade
No we don’t unfortunately. Fui is alway a mistake waiting to happen, Ford, on what he showed last year is a worker but has not convinced me he is much more. Kerr shows promise but goes missing during games and does not indicate he has the workload capacity in him to step into the shoes of the forwards we have lost over the last two years. Laurie will really need to step up and expand his game. We have some up and comers but expecting too much from them might be too much this year. We lack forwards, that will hurt us badly but onward and upwards guys.

We can only hope that someone of note comes on to the market n the early part of the season and that the Dragons still have money left in the piggy bank after McCulloughs signing .

Dragon David

First Grade
We can only hope that someone of note comes on to the market n the early part of the season and that the Dragons still have money left in the piggy bank after McCulloughs signing .
Overall I don't think that we have the firepower in our forward stocks to threaten many rival clubs. We have carry over guys from the previous years that in my opinion fell very short of dominance and we have signed a couple of players who are not world beaters to cover the losses of Graham, Frizz, Host etc and yet to be proven.

Our problem over so many years has been the lack of ability to sign bigger and stronger go forward guys, not only in the forwards but also in the backs and at the moment the cupboard for these type of players is bare and we have this terrible problem of not being able to attract anyone with good credentials to come and join our great club.

Hopefully during the competition our coaching staff can see our plight and make sure that for 2022 they get themselves geared up to have our recruiters to go full steam ahead and get those type of guys without fail.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Overall I don't think that we have the firepower in our forward stocks to threaten many rival clubs. We have carry over guys from the previous years that in my opinion fell very short of dominance and we have signed a couple of players who are not world beaters to cover the losses of Graham, Frizz, Host etc and yet to be proven.

Our problem over so many years has been the lack of ability to sign bigger and stronger go forward guys, not only in the forwards but also in the backs and at the moment the cupboard for these type of players is bare and we have this terrible problem of not being able to attract anyone with good credentials to come and join our great club.

Hopefully during the competition our coaching staff can see our plight and make sure that for 2022 they get themselves geared up to have our recruiters to go full steam ahead and get those type of guys without fail.
To me James Graham tried but didn't deliver last year so no loss only his heart but didn't rub off. Friz was just a battering ram hardly made any impression can't remember a bust and a try assist so no loss. Host was never given a chance know so no loss we might see something from him in Charity Shield. Trouble is we didn't buy a proven hard as teak forward that has any skills or can dominate the opposition.

Gareth67

First Grade

To me James Graham tried but didn't deliver last year so no loss only his heart but didn't rub off. Friz was just a battering ram hardly made any impression can't remember a bust and a try assist so no loss. Host was never given a chance know so no loss we might see something from him in Charity Shield. Trouble is we didn't buy a proven hard as teak forward that has any skills or can dominate the opposition.

Both of you gentlemen have mention aspects of the Dragons forwards that we shall miss this season and also until we are able to lure a player of true quality to the team . As to Jimmy Graham he was indeed all heart and never stopped trying , but as we are all aware , he was signed to a contract that was simply too long for a man of his years .

A great addition to the side for the first 2 seasons yes , however our younger players were simply not up to scratch to replace him . Frizzell we will miss , at least he could tackle and tackle hard , but his attack was stimmied by the recently departed ( yet most knowledgeable ) maestro - say no more on that front .

Still this year I see as a learning curve for our forwards who shall finally have a coach who can actually improve their performances , both as individuals and as a pack . I do believe that the addition of McCullough to the pack will go someway to help this transition somewhat easier . However as said , the signing of a tough forward will certainly help matters .

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Both of you gentlemen have mention aspects of the Dragons forwards that we shall miss this season and also until we are able to lure a player of true quality to the team . As to Jimmy Graham he was indeed all heart and never stopped trying , but as we are all aware , he was signed to a contract that was simply too long for a man of his years .

A great addition to the side for the first 2 seasons yes , however our younger players were simply not up to scratch to replace him . Frizzell we will miss , at least he could tackle and tackle hard , his attack stimmied by the knowledgeable maestro - say no more on that front .

Still this year I see as a learning curve for our forwards who shall finally have a coach who can actually improve their performances , both as individuals and as a pack . I do believe that the addition of McCullough to the pack will go someway to help this transition somewhat easier . However as said , the signing of a tough forward will certainly help matters .

I think the question remains.

Do we need a tough forwards or do we need skilled forwards?

Huge difference.

Old Timer

Coach
Much has been written in many threads about Paul Vaughan.

I remember the varying opinions good and bad as to when we signed him.

Never really been a dominating prop but obviously has some skill sets as he did make it to rep footy levels.

The truth is he should now be at the zenith of his powers and be the leader of our pack and provide the strength we build around.

If he fails to do that he will unfortunately go down as another one of those signings that looked good for a little while but in the long term never delivered.

I truly hope he takes the challenge by the throat and he starts busting tackles, tramples over opposition halves and provide crucial offloads to our speed men.

The same logic applies to Hunt & T Sims where we have had lots of little cameos but never any great consistency or truly dominant performances over consecutive games.

Lots of seasoned players that we have invested a lot of time in that now need to deliver the goods especially at a time when we are most vulnerable.

If Hook can get them to do that and we can remain relatively injury free then no reason why we the fans can't have a much more enjoyable time watching our team play.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Much has been written in many threads about Paul Vaughan.

I remember the varying opinions good and bad as to when we signed him.

Never really been a dominating prop but obviously has some skill sets as he did make it to rep footy levels.

The truth is he should now be at the zenith of his powers and be the leader of our pack and provide the strength we build around.

If he fails to do that he will unfortunately go down as another one of those signings that looked good for a little while but in the long term never delivered.

I truly hope he takes the challenge by the throat and he starts busting tackles, tramples over opposition halves and provide crucial offloads to our speed men.

The same logic applies to Hunt & T Sims where we have had lots of little cameos but never any great consistency or truly dominant performances over consecutive games.

Lots of seasoned players that we have invested a lot of time in that now need to deliver the goods especially at a time when we are most vulnerable.

If Hook can get them to do that and we can remain relatively injury free then no reason why we the fans can't have a much more enjoyable time watching our team play.

Good, balanced perspective, OT.
While I can share the disappointment of others that we have not picked up any worldbeaters and agree with those concerned with the lack of depth in the backrow there are only two players that we have lost who contributed positively last year - Frizell and McInnes. And neither of these guys offered much in attack. We have also lost Aitken which most on here would judge to be a positive whoever replaces him. The Imbalance between tries scored on the left compared to the right was a real indictment of Aitken's contribution, while his inability to improve his defence has been long recognised on here.

I am positive at this stage that just the change from Mary to an experienced coaching staff will lead to team improvement and hopefully individual improvement. I will watch Kerr closely. I have met him a couple of times and seems a very humble young man. I expect he will show the benefit of time in the Qld squad and the Indigenous team, as well as the new coaching team.

Last year under Mary the team was competitive in about 15 of the 20 games while several close games could have been won. I will be happy if they can be competitive in 20+ games this season, win more of the close ones and generally show enough improvement to suggest there will be more to look forward to in the future.

Dragon David

First Grade
Good, balanced perspective, OT.
While I can share the disappointment of others that we have not picked up any worldbeaters and agree with those concerned with the lack of depth in the backrow there are only two players that we have lost who contributed positively last year - Frizell and McInnes. And neither of these guys offered much in attack. We have also lost Aitken which most on here would judge to be a positive whoever replaces him. The Imbalance between tries scored on the left compared to the right was a real indictment of Aitken's contribution, while his inability to improve his defence has been long recognised on here.

I am positive at this stage that just the change from Mary to an experienced coaching staff will lead to team improvement and hopefully individual improvement. I will watch Kerr closely. I have met him a couple of times and seems a very humble young man. I expect he will show the benefit of time in the Qld squad and the Indigenous team, as well as the new coaching team.

Last year under Mary the team was competitive in about 15 of the 20 games while several close games could have been won. I will be happy if they can be competitive in 20+ games this season, win more of the close ones and generally show enough improvement to suggest there will be more to look forward to in the future.
Nicely said Dragonsteve2 and O/T.

qld redvee

Juniors

DD
really comes down to our last coach ( will never mention him now) and his attitude towards buying players . - apart from frizz and vaughan and graham for 1 year who did we really get to strengthen any position . remember mcinness knocked us back originally . All we seem to have had through the ranks is a long list of reserve graders that dont set the world on fire ( taan milne etc ) And as he wouldnt give youngsters a go our stocks have dwindled to a very low level . Unfortunately this year is one of rebuilding and blooding youngsters whilst waiting for several contracts to expire ( merrin fui norman ) whilst Hook MUST look for a marquee type of player that will enhance our squad .
when you look back over the last years as to the calibre of players signed that were toted as 'world beaters " for the team no name wanted - wasnt the last 3 merrin williame and fui
Hook has to get the most out of what we have and then look at strengthening for next year ...

SEAT 1A

Bench
Frizzell we will miss , at least he could tackle and tackle hard , his attack stimmied by the knowledgeable maestro - say no more on that front .

Agree Gareth67.

I am looking forward to seeing how he goes at NTL. Likewise, Host and with little less expectation, Atkin with NZ.

It was always interesting to see how they play with other teams however, as Mary has left, I won't be excited when a player has left us progress to be better players.

Dragon David

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/eace0a69e7e2eba28436d98e36ed6288

Are we missing anything here? The Roosters must not have much available to them from their feeder club nor any locals to go for this "prodigy" from Fiji or is it that the Roosters have great scouts going around the rugby league/rugby nations looking for potentials?

Didn't Hook co-coach the Fijian nation in the last World Cup? Why is it that he has not got our scouts doing this or does he think our local products have the goods? Some of the Fijian Rugby team forwards would be big and fast same goes for their backs like this guy signed by the Roosters.

Go to it Hook for 2022.

getsmarty

Immortal
St. George Illawarra 2021 season preview: The marquee signing, new coach and big losses
By SEN a day ago
dragons-1024x576.jpg

With a new coach Anthony Griffin at the helm, the St. George Illawarra Dragons will be hoping to see significant improvement in 2020.

The Dragons finished in 12th place last season and their off-season revolved around major squad turnover.

Despite entering 2021 with a different coach and playing squad, Scott Sattler believes it will be much of the same in terms of results this year.

Speaking on Sportsday, Sattler thinks marquee signing Jack Bird can recapture his best form in Wollongong.

“The gains include Anthony Griffin a new coach, and Jack Bird has probably been their biggest signing,” Sattler said.

“Many may scoff at that, but he’s a premiership winner and has played for his state, we know what he can provide. If he plays three quarters of the season he’ll have a huge impact on the Dragons.

“Along with Bird, they also gained Andrew McCullough, Poasa Faamausili and Kaide Ellis who are really good pick-ups.”

While Sattler listed some solid additions, he believes the losses to the club's squad outweigh the arrivals.

“Tyson Frizell is the biggest loss, he’s gone to the Newcastle Knights,” he said.

“Euan Aitken’s gone, James Graham's retired, Jacob Host has gone to South Sydney and Jason Saab is a very good winger who he was let go to Manly.

“I think the losses outweigh the gains, absolutely. But, I do like Anthony Griffin as coach, I feel like he’s what they need, to scale it all back, create a black and white game plan and start again.”

Sattler highlighted a set of twins to break out for the Dragons this year in the backline.

“Mathew and Max Feagai are a pair of outside backs who are twins,” he added.

“They’re tremendous players, I think they’ll be really good.”

The former Origin representative thinks the Dragons should view 2021 as a changing of the guard, and without predicting improvement, believes the club will be in better shape as a result.

“I don’t think there will be much of an improvement, but I think they’ll get some longevity out of Griffin,” Sattler added.

“It’ll be the same as last year, I think they’ll finish 12th.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/02...on-preview-the-marquee-signing-new-coach-and/

TruSaint

Referee
St. George Illawarra 2021 season preview: The marquee signing, new coach and big losses
By SEN a day ago
dragons-1024x576.jpg

With a new coach Anthony Griffin at the helm, the St. George Illawarra Dragons will be hoping to see significant improvement in 2020.

The Dragons finished in 12th place last season and their off-season revolved around major squad turnover.

Despite entering 2021 with a different coach and playing squad, Scott Sattler believes it will be much of the same in terms of results this year.

Speaking on Sportsday, Sattler thinks marquee signing Jack Bird can recapture his best form in Wollongong.

“The gains include Anthony Griffin a new coach, and Jack Bird has probably been their biggest signing,” Sattler said.

“Many may scoff at that, but he’s a premiership winner and has played for his state, we know what he can provide. If he plays three quarters of the season he’ll have a huge impact on the Dragons.

“Along with Bird, they also gained Andrew McCullough, Poasa Faamausili and Kaide Ellis who are really good pick-ups.”

While Sattler listed some solid additions, he believes the losses to the club's squad outweigh the arrivals.

“Tyson Frizell is the biggest loss, he’s gone to the Newcastle Knights,” he said.

“Euan Aitken’s gone, James Graham's retired, Jacob Host has gone to South Sydney and Jason Saab is a very good winger who he was let go to Manly.

“I think the losses outweigh the gains, absolutely. But, I do like Anthony Griffin as coach, I feel like he’s what they need, to scale it all back, create a black and white game plan and start again.”

Sattler highlighted a set of twins to break out for the Dragons this year in the backline.

“Mathew and Max Feagai are a pair of outside backs who are twins,” he added.

“They’re tremendous players, I think they’ll be really good.”

The former Origin representative thinks the Dragons should view 2021 as a changing of the guard, and without predicting improvement, believes the club will be in better shape as a result.

“I don’t think there will be much of an improvement, but I think they’ll get some longevity out of Griffin,” Sattler added.

“It’ll be the same as last year, I think they’ll finish 12th.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/02...on-preview-the-marquee-signing-new-coach-and/

Good summary by Sattler. Spot on.

goldiesaintz

Juniors

Huge difference.

Any team always needs or wants, skilled forwards.
To me, a skilled forward can tackle, can throw a late pass, can put in a 100% each week because he has the nous to make it happen. Can speed up in attack and can get back in defence.
Not many of them around that can offer that much.

A tough forward may only offer one option.

Gareth67

First Grade

Huge difference.

Dragon David has answered the question for me Dragonslayer , yes skilled - as I believe McCullough is , but also tough in the respect of being able to tackle hard against other teams big man , not players who will lose control and cost penalties .

A Neville Costigan or Beau Scott comes to mind , neither went overboard in viciousness , but still certainly caused a lot of damage to opposition teams .

Gareth67

First Grade

Yes , great to see the Joint Venture having a go at those greedy mongrels . We are all sick to death of the Dragons constantly being used to inflate another teams players worth, not to mention the rumor itself appearing on this forum .

About time the NRL stepped in and put a stop to this once and for all , after all they have accredited these ‘ agents ‘ as being ‘ honest Johns ‘ .

Last edited:

kit66

Bench

...and Vaughan rarely passes even when there's an overlap or a gap if he'd just pass. Sure he gets the occasional off-load but he's not a quick thinker unfortunately. Great at hit-ups and defence though, good worker.
Kerr will go great this year, his confidence is way up after his rep call ups and he's really finding his feet in firsts. Lawrie is getting better all the time and wants to be an enforcer.
We need a Klemmer or a Tamou a big tough no nosense pack leader but there's none available. Fingers crossed for a JDB return.

Latest posts