What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

MugaB

Coach
i think you’re missing his point lol, IF EPL was a closed shop you’d be nuts to admit Wigan over man city or st helens over Everton. For Brisbane2 to work it simply has to appeal and be able to draw 90% of its active supporter base from 25km radius of Suncorp. If it can’t it’s going to be more screwed than the Titans ended up. They will be battling broncos for sponsors and fans and paying a lot of rent for Suncorp. It’s not going to be the easy ride many seem to think imo.
Again thats garbage, the new licence whoever that might be only needs 2% of the population of Brisbane city to show up consistently, they already turn up to watch the bronx lose every game, imagine a new team that might actually win

Perth Red

Post Whore
Again thats garbage, the new licence whoever that might be only needs 2% of the population of Brisbane city to show up consistently, they already turn up to watch the bronx lose every game, imagine a new team that might actually win

Sounds simple and such a small % doesn't it? lol. GC attract less than 2% and they arent directly fighting a big brother for bums on seats. Biggest issue for active members for Brisbane2 will be the time slot, they are going to be stuck with Thursday or Friday night for most games and the more successful they are the more of these family unfriendly slots they will get. Whoever NRL chooses they had better make sure the No1 criteria is deep pockets of the new owners. Hopefully the NRL shows some sense and makes sure that the Broncos and Brisbane2 alternate home and away every round.

i think you’re missing his point lol, IF EPL was a closed shop you’d be nuts to admit Wigan over man city or st helens over Everton. For Brisbane2 to work it simply has to appeal and be able to draw 90% of its active supporter base from 25km radius of Suncorp. If it can’t it’s going to be more screwed than the Titans ended up. They will be battling broncos for sponsors and fans and paying a lot of rent for Suncorp. It’s not going to be the easy ride many seem to think imo.

But they don't have a system like ours, so why compare it?

It's like saying if his aunty had balls she would be his uncle...

The Great Dane

First Grade
But they don't have a system like ours, so why compare it?

It's like saying if his aunty had balls she would be his uncle...
Nobody is comparing the systems but you, and you're only doing it to try and obfuscate the point that I was obviously making.

If you don't like that analogy then try these ones; picking Redcliffe or Ipswich to be the second team in Brisbane would be like picking Manly or Cronulla to be the second club in Sydney if it only had one club, or picking Suffolk county over a team that represents the city of New York. You could come up with a million different examples, but the point remains the same.

Nobody is comparing the systems but you, and you're only doing it to try and obfuscate the point that I was obviously making.

If you don't like that analogy then try these ones; picking Redcliffe or Ipswich to be the second team in Brisbane would be like picking Manly or Cronulla to be the second club in Sydney if it only had one club, or picking Suffolk county over a team that represents the city of New York. You could come up with a million different examples, but the point remains the same.
No matter which bid puts their hand up, you'll nitpick and whinge. It's what you do.

No bid is going to be perfect. Brisbane Bombers was everything you've been calling for, and they merged with a BRL club because they were the most hated of the bunch.

The Great Dane

First Grade
No matter which bid puts their hand up, you'll nitpick and whinge. It's what you do.

No bid is going to be perfect. Brisbane Bombers was everything you've been calling for, and they merged with a BRL club because they were the most hated of the bunch.
I don't nitpick the Pirates. You know why; it's because they are about as good a bid as you could realistically expect. The same is true of the Firehawks, they aren't perfect, but they are workable and with a bit of work could be made more or less perfect.

I only criticise where it's warranted, and the fact of the matter is that there's a lot to criticise of the Brisbane bids and pretending that there isn't out of desperation simply to see expansion happen is a great way to make sure that they end up like the Crushers, Giants/Seagulls, Reds, Steelers, etc.

BTW, the Brisbane Bombers weren't everything I was calling for. They were also a deeply flawed bid , and I criticised them just as much as the other Brisbane bids. Their brand wasn't workable and at times they seemed to be targeting disenchanted Broncos fans as their main target audience, both of which were terrible mistakes.

I don't nitpick the Pirates. You know why; it's because they are about as good a bid as you could realistically expect. The same is true of the Firehawks, they aren't perfect, but they are workable and with a bit of work could be made more or less perfect.

I only criticise where it's warranted, and the fact of the matter is that there's a lot to criticise of the Brisbane bids and pretending that there isn't out of desperation simply to see expansion happen is a great way to make sure that they end up like the Crushers, Giants/Seagulls, Reds, Steelers, etc.

BTW, the Brisbane Bombers weren't everything I was calling for. They were also a deeply flawed bid , and I criticised them just as much as the other Brisbane bids. Their brand wasn't workable and at times they seemed to be targeting disenchanted Broncos fans as their main target audience, both of which were terrible mistakes.
West Coast Pirates have a good bid, although I'd prefer it if they used the name Reds, but that's just me. It would be nice to see an Australian team with an Australian animal as their mascot.

You and I see Brisbane from different perspectives. I see a metropolitan area that will grow massively over the next 30 years and want there to be teams that can tap into these areas. Put a team in the north and one in the south and Brisbane is covered nicely. Over time they can look at building boutique stadiums in Moreton Bay Region and Logan. A 2nd and 3rd team in Brisbane will make it impossible for AwFuL to capture Australia's 3rd largest city, which also happens to be the only major metro area not to have 2 major pro teams for any code.

The Great Dane

First Grade
You and I see Brisbane from different perspectives. I see a metropolitan area that will grow massively over the next 30 years and want there to be teams that can tap into these areas. Put a team in the north and one in the south and Brisbane is covered nicely. Over time they can look at building boutique stadiums in Moreton Bay Region and Logan. A 2nd and 3rd team in Brisbane will make it impossible for AwFuL to capture Australia's 3rd largest city, which also happens to be the only major metro area not to have 2 major pro teams for any code.
You're overthinking it.

You're planning for 3 teams hoping that growth will make them all viable in the future, when you could have two teams, know for a fact that they'll be viable from day dot, and both will continue to grow into the future.

In other words you're planning to have 3 teams and hoping that they'll all be averaging e.g. 20k in 30 years time, when you could have two, both of whom average over e.g. 20k from day dot, and could hypothetically be averaging e.g. 40k in 30 years time.

flippikat

Bench
Biggest issue for active members for Brisbane2 will be the time slot, they are going to be stuck with Thursday or Friday night for most games and the more successful they are the more of these family unfriendly slots they will get.

That's another reason why I suspect TWO new Brisbane teams may be added. That way, the NRL gets an extra game (more revenue), plus every fortnight there could be a "family friendly timeslot" game IN Brisbane.

In weekends where ONE Brisbane team plays at home, it would be Thurs or Fri, but when 2 out of 3 Brisbane clubs are playing at home, one gets the Thurs/Fri night slot, and the other team gets a Sat or Sunday afternoon slot.

Have it on a rotating roster so all 3 teams get a few afternoon games a year, and problem solved!

You just can't do that with only 2 Brisbane NRL clubs.

The Great Dane

First Grade
That's another reason why I suspect TWO new Brisbane teams may be added. That way, the NRL gets an extra game (more revenue), plus every fortnight there could be a "family friendly timeslot" game IN Brisbane.

In weekends where ONE Brisbane team plays at home, it would be Thurs or Fri, but when 2 out of 3 Brisbane clubs are playing at home, one gets the Thurs/Fri night slot, and the other team gets a Sat or Sunday afternoon slot.

Have it on a rotating roster so all 3 teams get a few afternoon games a year, and problem solved!

You just can't do that with only 2 Brisbane NRL clubs.
Assuming that ratings for the new Brisbane clubs are comparable to the Bronco's ratings (which you would hope they were), in the current media environment what would end up happening is the 3 Brisbane clubs would end up dominating the 3 free to air slots, and that would have massive knock on effects on the other clubs and their ability to compete for fans and sponsors.

You'd probably also end up killing the goose that lays the golden egg, as sooner or later people would get jack of seeing the Brisbane clubs dominate coverage and ratings would dip on FTA as a result.

Basically, I can see your logic, but I hope it doesn't happen that way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Assuming that ratings for the new Brisbane clubs are comparable to the Bronco's ratings (which you would hope they were), in the current media environment what would end up happening is the 3 Brisbane clubs would end up dominating the 3 free to air slots, and that would have massive knock on effects on the other clubs and their ability to compete for fans and sponsors.

You'd probably also end up killing the goose that lays the golden egg, as sooner or later people would get jack of seeing the Brisbane clubs dominate coverage and ratings would dip on FTA as a result.

the difference is negligible as I have shown before. Yes it’s bigger in brisbane but it’s smaller in Sydney when it’s a Brisbane team playing.

flippikat

Bench

I don't think it'd get to a stage where Brisbane will dominate coverage, just that the BALANCE of Sydney & Brisbane on FTA may be more even.

Assuming FTA TV has 3 timeslots - a game on Thurs night, a game on Fri night, and a game on Sunday afternoon - then some weekends you'd have Brisbane teams in 2/3 of them (hosting on sunday and hosting ONE of the thurs/fri slots), other weekends 1/3 of them (ie just thurs or fri, with either no sat/sun game in Brisbane or a Sat game in Brisbane that's on Fox)

Jamberoo

Juniors
I don't think it'd get to a stage where Brisbane will dominate coverage, just that the BALANCE of Sydney & Brisbane on FTA may be more even.

Assuming FTA TV has 3 timeslots - a game on Thurs night, a game on Fri night, and a game on Sunday afternoon - then some weekends you'd have Brisbane teams in 2/3 of them (hosting on sunday and hosting ONE of the thurs/fri slots), other weekends 1/3 of them (ie just thurs or fri, with either no sat/sun game in Brisbane or a Sat game in Brisbane that's on Fox)
Or you just do it like the AFL does. The Ch7 games are predominately Vic clubs (read Sydney for NRL), but in all other markets, they drop all but the Friday night and the local teams are shown on FTA (with Fox production).

Jamberoo

Juniors

Yes but if the only team in Sydney was say, Parramatta, the Cronulla would be much bigger than they are now. People that now follow Dragon, Easts, Souths might jump on the Sharks. Especially if the model was three games In the Shire and nine as SFS and branded as Eastern Sydney Sharks.

Or you just do it like the AFL does. The Ch7 games are predominately Vic clubs (read Sydney for NRL), but in all other markets, they drop all but the Friday night and the local teams are shown on FTA (with Fox production).
That would be the smart way of going about it, but Foxtel won't allow it now that they have the rights until 2027.

mongoose

Coach
I wonder how much the Olympics announcement will influence the NRL's decision? A 30k boutique stadium could be in the plans for somewhere like Redcliffe, Ipswich or somewhere on the South side. Ballymore will probably get an upgrade or fresh lick of paint though.
Sadly I think AFL will get a brand new stadium in Brisbane, I can't see the Gabba getting upgraded or rebuilt in its current limiting location.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wonder how much the Olympics announcement will influence the NRL's decision? A 30k boutique stadium could be in the plans for somewhere like Redcliffe, Ipswich or somewhere on the South side. Ballymore will probably get an upgrade or fresh lick of paint though.
Sadly I think AFL will get a brand new stadium in Brisbane, I can't see the Gabba getting upgraded or rebuilt in its current limiting location.

im sure afl has already had numerous meetings with them already whilst nrl dithers along. Ideally nrl would know exactly where Brisbane2 will be and be lobbying for their stadium as part of the Olympics.