What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Dragons22

Juniors
My opinion is this:
Mary wasn’t a top coach. McGrexit had to happen eventually. I get that. It happened at the wrong time. It should have happened at the end of 2021.
2021 is already a failure.
I originally had faith in Griffin and supported him. Until he made some shocking recruitment decisions.
Grififn has no idea with recruitment. He lost the best player in McInnes. He is going to lose Dufty too. He signed an old dud in McCulloguh. He signed some other nobodies like Alvaro.
He’s recruitment is shit and he has placed faith in the dud Norman over young guns like Sullivan and Clune. Griffin will probably re-sing Norman and let go of Sullivan.
My point is. 2021 is shit. Griffin somehow made it shitter.
Should have kept Mary for 2021 and then got a real coach for 2022 like Flanagan or Wayne or even Bellamy. Grififn isn’t fit to make this club great again.

mickeylane

Bench
My opinion is this:
Mary wasn’t a top coach. McGrexit had to happen eventually. I get that. It happened at the wrong time. It should have happened at the end of 2021.
2021 is already a failure.
I originally had faith in Griffin and supported him. Until he made some shocking recruitment decisions.
Grififn has no idea with recruitment. He lost the best player in McInnes. He is going to lose Dufty too. He signed an old dud in McCulloguh. He signed some other nobodies like Alvaro.
He’s recruitment is shit and he has placed faith in the dud Norman over young guns like Sullivan and Clune. Griffin will probably re-sing Norman and let go of Sullivan.
My point is. 2021 is shit. Griffin somehow made it shitter.
Should have kept Mary for 2021 and then got a real coach for 2022 like Flanagan or Wayne or even Bellamy. Grififn isn’t fit to make this club great again.
mate Mcgregor left this club in rubble! Not even Bellamy cant save this year for us! We just need to improve somehow from last year..I have faith in Griffin improving this lot - just how long it will take will see..

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Dragons need to recruit and retain decent players.Our recruitment is up the shit.Something or some one has to go.
Im sure Hook tried, we have the skeleton of a good future side but this is without a doubt a rebuilding year. Lomax and Bird could end up being the best centre pairing in the comp. Ramsey give it a full season of playing and one more off season will be a lot better. IMO he is already better than Lomax was when he first come in to grade. Sullivan will be one of the best 7's in the comp in time. Kerr is still young as is Lawrie, and with Coric and co coming up we really do have something to build around. IMO this year is a building year. If we can start to get it right by mid season we might be able to make that one or two astute signings that can attract talent and get us contending for the 8 again.

thebigredv

First Grade
I think if we are honest, Griffin was the best of a pretty lame bunch of candidates that would have wanted to sign with us. I'm not in there enough to know what is the rot at the heart of this club but no one wants a bar of it. It's been this way for quite some time.

We were hoping Griffin would at least harden up our defence, and while trials aren't always a fair reflection, our defence looks worse than ever. If anyone thinks that is something that will be fixed in two weeks they're taking the micky. Early days to be sticking it to him but the recruitment until now has been his first big failure. Maybe he is biding his time but the best coaches seem to make things happen in this regard.

Now let's get real. This is nothing different than what was described at the conclusion of last year. Bottom 4 finish is all you are going to get with likes of these players running around:

Kerr
Williame
Merrin
Alvaro
Norman
Sims
Ellis
Clune
Fuimaono

No disrespect but they are not up to first grade standard anymore, and all have had a chance after chance to prove this wrong.

Then we have a second tier of players who are good quality but full of mistakes and shocking inconsistency. Probably to some extent trying to do it all on their own.

I remember a day when you could barely find a weakness in our line up and now it is exactly the opposite.

The spoon is looking particularly likely - way to celebrate 100 years!...not that club cares much for that anyway.

thebigredv

First Grade
Im sure Hook tried, we have the skeleton of a good future side but this is without a doubt a rebuilding year. Lomax and Bird could end up being the best centre pairing in the comp. Ramsey give it a full season of playing and one more off season will be a lot better. IMO he is already better than Lomax was when he first come in to grade. Sullivan will be one of the best 7's in the comp in time. Kerr is still young as is Lawrie, and with Coric and co coming up we really do have something to build around. IMO this year is a building year. If we can start to get it right by mid season we might be able to make that one or two astute signings that can attract talent and get us contending for the 8 again.

I think you are disregarding the lack of prospects we have in the forwards department. I'd like to know who are our future props and second rowers because the young ones have yet to to step up over the last couple years and I didn't see anything different today.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I think you are disregarding the lack of prospects we have in the forwards department. I'd like to know who are our future props and second rowers because the young ones have yet to to step up over the last couple years and I didn't see anything different today.
They are not ready yet. What I am saying is basically we need a good couple of purchases to help these guys along. A josh McGuire would have been ideal, JDB if back would be ideal. We need to build like Newcastle did with building a solid team of locals that are losing games but getting closer and more competitive. They buy Ponga on overs and then all of a sudden you have Pearce, Klemmer, Friz and a whole heap of talent going there. Same with Canberra, they bought a few astute poms then the solid base they had built gets complimented with some quite good signings.

boardlumps62

Juniors
I think if we are honest, Griffin was the best of a pretty lame bunch of candidates that would have wanted to sign with us. I'm not in there enough to know what is the rot at the heart of this club but no one wants a bar of it. It's been this way for quite some time.

We were hoping Griffin would at least harden up our defence, and while trials aren't always a fair reflection, our defence looks worse than ever. If anyone thinks that is something that will be fixed in two weeks they're taking the micky. Early days to be sticking it to him but the recruitment until now has been his first big failure. Maybe he is biding his time but the best coaches seem to make things happen in this regard.

Now let's get real. This is nothing different than what was described at the conclusion of last year. Bottom 4 finish is all you are going to get with likes of these players running around:

Kerr
Williame
Merrin
Alvaro
Norman
Sims
Ellis
Clune
Fuimaono

No disrespect but they are not up to first grade standard anymore, and all have had a chance after chance to prove this wrong.

Then we have a second tier of players who are good quality but full of mistakes and shocking inconsistency. Probably to some extent trying to do it all on their own.

I remember a day when you could barely find a weakness in our line up and now it is exactly the opposite.

The spoon is looking particularly likely - way to celebrate 100 years!...not that club cares much for that anyway.
Kerr will get better and Sims should be ok IMO. What about some sths younger forwards can we buys them. Get out the cheque book why do we have second raters could just buy 2 good ones and spend rest on developing some others.

thebigredv

First Grade
They are not ready yet. What I am saying is basically we need a good couple of purchases to help these guys along. A josh McGuire would have been ideal, JDB if back would be ideal. We need to build like Newcastle did with building a solid team of locals that are losing games but getting closer and more competitive. They buy Ponga on overs and then all of a sudden you have Pearce, Klemmer, Friz and a whole heap of talent going there. Same with Canberra, they bought a few astute poms then the solid base they had built gets complimented with some quite good signings.

I completely agree mate. I'm pretty sure the likes of Arrow, McGuire, Tamou, Welch to name but a few were recently available but we failed to land a single one.

As I have said many times, as fans we kind of know we are on a hiding to nothing and hoping our fortunes will change, when the astute purchasing needed has not been done.

thebigredv

First Grade
Kerr will get better and Sims should be ok IMO. What about some sths younger forwards can we buys them. Get out the cheque book why do we have second raters could just buy 2 good ones and spend rest on developing some others.

Mark my words, Kerr is a dud. He doesn't play well in the red and white. Please give me some credit.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I completely agree mate. I'm pretty sure the likes of Arrow, McGuire, Tamou, Welch to name but a few were recently available but we failed to land a single one.

As I have said many times, as fans we kind of know we are on a hiding to nothing and hoping our fortunes will change, when the astute purchasing needed has not been done.
Yeah I know but I cant blame Griffin for that. We have Blacker, Ford, Sherab and Coric coming through but all need more time. I don't know the answer but imo we just need to make one boss move that makes all the other pieces fall into place, one really astute buy. I still don't think we should give up on Jackson Ford yet. If given time in his preferred edge position his defence will definitely improve. If we are rebuilding anyway I think he is worth the time. I seen a couple of things tonight when he got the ball flat and also a nice offload that showed me with time put in by seasons end he could be one of our most improved players.

Wizardman

First Grade
I think the two Bronco signings have done Hook some damage (despite Bird looking decent....but is on big coin). The McCullough signing makes no sense.

I don’t think Hook had it in mind that anyone should risk life and limb.

Exhibition match for fitness and a few experiments.

Under Mary, they’d be serious injuries to 2 or 3 key players and he’d call it “ completely worthwhile”

The side will be better for the run...that’s the take home. Hopefully no one gets arrested tonight.

Old Timer

Coach
FFS time for some of you to wake up and realise the facts

Griffin is not responsible for the signing or retention of Hunt, Norman, Merrin, Williame, Fuimaono, Sims who are all bog average

He inherits Duffy with lots of faults and poor defence, Kerr with potential but lots of faults, Vaughan who has been in decline.

He is not responsible for losing Frizzell or Host and probably not Mc Innes either and somehow you expect him to fix it all in the space of 3 trials when he has a bunch rookies at best.

The problem is in your expectations and the fact you yourselves have overestimated the actual ability of our side for a good number of years.

None of our so called best / seasoned players are playing good consistent footy and the team have been experiencing a heavy fitness workload this season thus far.

So stop bleating and let’s see what we actually look like after the first 6 games.