What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Charity Shield 2021

mickeylane

Bench
The only certs to start round 1..Id start Bird at 5/8. The rest is a lottery ticket who comes in to the starting 13.

Dufty
Rava
Ramsay
Lomax
Bird
Hunt
Vaughan
Mcculloch

possm

Coach
And people have the right to call him out for his hate speech. That's being honest about it, which is the opposite of being two faced.

And anyone who thinks Folau would have made a difference is deluding themselves.

He's over the hill, hasn't played NRL for 10 years, only looks good against paper thin defence, has some serious defensive issues of his own and half the supporter base don't want him. But by all means, feel free to dream the dream.
Of course it depends on which side of the fence you sit on. In my opinion there was/is hate speach on both sides of this argument. One side defending their religious or traditional beliefs and the other defending equal rights.

I am of the view that both sides are out of line in their tone and delivery of hate speech. I do not believe there will ever be agreement in this area mainly because I see the ground made up by the human rights support will be lost by the ever growing support of immigrants who are fanatical in their religous beliefs.

In my opinion the same sex marriage debate will rise again once Politian's begin to feel the pressure of their new constituents who have firm beliefs contrary to the current arrangements.

I was always of the mind that all who want to join should be able to do so in a civil ceremony (wedding) with a legal document giving all equal rights to be a couple. And all who want their joining to be recognised as a 'marriage' should also apply through their church or another legal organisation to obtain a marriage certificate. To me and others I know, this would have been the most appropriate compromise.

There are many couples today living in a de-facto relationship and many who are joined together in a civil ceremony. I think it wrong for a Government to force any religious organisation to sanction marriage contrary to their documented beliefs is wrong.

hewi

Bench
Simms is a shadow of his former self. Another peanut casualty or just put the cue back in the rack

possm

Coach
Agree, but even after Simms failure to do this Norman should have come up and slid across. Bird, also should have also just stayed on his man yet when came in it then created the overlap. 3 mistakes! Souths execute this move to precision and can do it in their sleep. Bird will get better with timing but Simms and Norman..........it’s a worry!
In my opinion the Dragons were not ready to play a full-on NRL game. To me the players looked tired and over-worked from fitness and speed drills. I'm just hoping the Griffin and his staff go for light training drills leading into our first round game against the Sharks. I'd say that the players probably have learned a lot during the off-season but had tired legs and so, could not put those plans into action.

I'll be looking for:
Increased line speed in defence.
Our forwards to hit much harder in defence and attack.
Our backs to concentrate on combinations they have practiced.
Our backs to complete without errors.

In round 1 I will be looking more closely at Dufty's performance in defence and his positional play. This was a big problem in the Charity Shield game but I'm wanting to see how he goes when his legs aren't so tired.

Last edited:

Inisai Toga

Juniors
In my opinion the Dragons were not ready to play a full-on NRL game. To me the players looked tired and over-worked from fitness and speed drills. I'm just hoping the Griffin and his staff go for light training drills leading into our first round game against the Sharks. I'd say that the players probably have learned a lot during the off-season but had tired legs and so, could not put those plans into action.

I'll be looking for:
Increased line speed in defence.
Our forwards to hit much harder in defence and attack.
Our backs to concentrate on combinations they have practiced.
Our backs to complete without errors.

In round 1 I will be looking more closely at Dufty's performance in defence and his positional play. This was a big problem in the Charity Shield game but I'm wanting to see how he goes when his legs aren't so tired.
I’m sure you’ll have plenty of mates looking for the same thing!

Mark D

Juniors
Not much you can take out of last night... if there is any positives it was great that Jack Bird came through well , thought Rava made a difference when he came on and clearly combines better with Lomax , Merrin was strong and they may have a good find in Jaiyden Hunt... that’s about it

merahputih

Juniors
I don't agree with suggestions the Charity Shield is just another trial. Obviously Bennett and his players didn't think so either. The annual match has a proud history and proceeds support hospitals in both teams' areas, and both sides usually put close to their strongest line-up on the paddock. Looking forward to Round 1 v Sharks and trying to stay positive.

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Not much you can take out of last night... if there is any positives it was great that Jack Bird came through well , thought Rava made a difference when he came on and clearly combines better with Lomax , Merrin was strong and they may have a good find in Jaiyden Hunt... that’s about it

Yep, well said, mate.

I would add that McCulloch may have fitted in well but l think we will miss
to 40-50 tackles CM use to make.

TruSaint

Referee
I don't agree with suggestions the Charity Shield is just another trial. Obviously Bennett and his players didn't think so either. The annual match has a proud history and proceeds support hospitals in both teams' areas, and both sides usually put close to their strongest line-up on the paddock. Looking forward to Round 1 v Sharks and trying to stay positive.

Its more than a trial and it should be.
Agree with the reaction from Souths players.

I dont expect much this season, and I said that before the trials. Lets see if Griffin can improve what is an average squad over the course of the season.

He inherited a mess, but he knew that.

thebigredv

First Grade
Its more than a trial and it should be.
Agree with the reaction from Souths players.

I dont expect much this season, and I said that before the trials. Lets see if Griffin can improve what is an average squad over the course of the season.

He inherited a mess, but he knew that.

I hope we don't have to persist with an average squad for too much longer.

My greatest fear is Norman, hunt and co start performing around contract time and their buddy in the coach box feels justified to keep them.

Massive clean out needed as current contracts expire as we can't move the majority of players on.

Suddenly Host looked pretty good yesterday though. Funny that.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Of course it depends on which side of the fence you sit on. In my opinion there was/is hate speach on both sides of this argument. One side defending their religious or traditional beliefs and the other defending equal rights.

I am of the view that both sides are out of line in their tone and delivery of hate speech. I do not believe there will ever be agreement in this area mainly because I see the ground made up by the human rights support will be lost by the ever growing support of immigrants who are fanatical in their religous beliefs.

In my opinion the same sex marriage debate will rise again once Politian's begin to feel the pressure of their new constituents who have firm beliefs contrary to the current arrangements.

I was always of the mind that all who want to join should be able to do so in a civil ceremony (wedding) with a legal document giving all equal rights to be a couple. And all who want their joining to be recognised as a 'marriage' should also apply through their church or another legal organisation to obtain a marriage certificate. To me and others I know, this would have been the most appropriate compromise.

There are many couples today living in a de-facto relationship and many who are joined together in a civil ceremony. I think it wrong for a Government to force any religious organisation to sanction marriage contrary to their documented beliefs is wrong.
Sorry possm, but imo you should have stopped after the first paragraph.

Latest posts