What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2021 Trials

Vozzy

Juniors
I dunno other then DCE, Turbo and Jake it was most of their first team. The 5/8 for them should keep his spot and Foran to 14 or hooker. At the same time Raiders and Roosters will be a much harder test. I think if Mbye is out with an injury for round 1 it will be a blessing in disguise. Otherwise I can see him starting at fullback just because of the whole pre season of him training there. I think Laurie would be the 14 over Simpkin who looks like a good prospect but him and Madden would benefit from playing regular NSW Cup games first for mine. For me if MBye is there he should be the 14 if not I rather put 4 forwards or have Talau to cover a back spot.

Love this

ball out of dummy half from Talau was a gem as well. Glad to see we’ve got some pace in the backline. Hopefully Jimmy the Jet brings that form into the season. Will make Joey pull his finger out or our attack will go down the other flank. With Mbye and Talau in the side as well we can’t guarantee him a spot in the first grade side.

Shout out to Seyfarth, he had a strong game.

Body language and enthusiasm was well up, I think the youth and estranged really had a crack to impress which is what you want to see in the anarchy of a trial. A chance to show effort, skills, application and enacting game plans.

And Madge is big on his 1 percentages and that’s what he will be much more pleased with than the score line as it translates into big matches more readily.

Tamou had a great captains knock, led well and had a lot to say before and after tries.

The thing about trials is that you don’t get a full 80 minute death match contest, you gets spells and instances of high contest and then calmness or even apathy, so you have to thread your way through. So nofos massive line break in the second half was high contest, plus he was tired and got the cramp a bit later. His opponents were fresh and ready and he ripped them a new one. 1 v 6 potential tacklers. Amazing stuff.

And there was some episodes good defence both sides I thought. But the cover got caught.

We broke custs thumb I think which is a bit of a bummer. A few of our players weren’t too friendly to Allo, others were fine.

@stryker liked it, which gives it some credibility as his only other praise on lu in 2 years was v Broncos if I recall.

Plus they seemed to be happy. There’s been reports, but they all look on speaking terms!

A668F7C7-A840-4418-8AC1-91160214CB7B.jpeg

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
Luciano was a beast. Shat up the defence every time he carried the ball. Only has improvement in him which is really pleasing. Laurie and Roberts both looked very good. Nice having genuine pace in the backline. Brooks goalkicking was hilarious. No idea he could kick goals - good option for rd 1 but AD will keep GK. Big Stefano will get a bench spot for sure. He's a fkn big unit and a handful for opposition defence. Our pack looks very different from previous coaches - has Madge

5th tackle options were a bit meh. Didn't really create any pressure or repeat sets. I know that we were flogging them so it wasn't needed but Raiders in Rd 1 won't be so easy. We can't simply try to outscore the opponents, we need to be able to control the flow of the game or we will lose games in the later minutes of the game.

Not sure about Talau. Kid's got talent but was a bit all over the place in defence

Luciano was a beast. Shat up the defence every time he carried the ball. Only has improvement in him which is really pleasing. Laurie and Roberts both looked very good. Nice having genuine pace in the backline. Brooks goalkicking was hilarious. No idea he could kick goals - good option for rd 1 but AD will keep GK. Big Stefano will get a bench spot for sure. He's a fkn big unit and a handful for opposition defence. Our pack looks very different from previous coaches - has Madge

5th tackle options were a bit meh. Didn't really create any pressure or repeat sets. I know that we were flogging them so it wasn't needed but Raiders in Rd 1 won't be so easy. We can't simply try to outscore the opponents, we need to be able to control the flow of the game or we will lose games in the later minutes of the game.

Not sure about Talau. Kid's got talent but was a bit all over the place in defence

Yup, I also noticed some 5th tackle sloppage. Not as bad as the olden days, but it always dulls the mood.
Not grinch worthy though. Not quite there.

Fordy20

Juniors
Now we have some depth on the wings with Kepaoa and Fitzgibbon, Talau can go back to reggies and focus on his defence at centre. We're finally gettong to a point where we have some decent depth in positions, although Tyrone Roberts-Davis hasn't really set the world on fire at fullback.

BrotherJim05

Bench
One thing that is certain from that Trial - Laurie needs to play fullback...even if Mbye is back.

May be a case where we let Mbye go early to ESL (or another club) if necessary. We will have huge money left to spend in cap but I'd be willing to let Hartigan blow it all on a marquee player we need (even on overs). I feel we have the team, we just need that cherry on top

One thing that is certain from that Trial - Laurie needs to play fullback...even if Mbye is back.

May be a case where we let Mbye go early to ESL (or another club) if necessary. We will have huge money left to spend in cap but I'd be willing to let Hartigan blow it all on a marquee player we need (even on overs). I feel we have the team, we just need that cherry on top
We need Mbye this year. We need his all round ability as injuries will happen.

Tigerm

First Grade

I am keen to see what Mbye brings this year, so I'm not writing him off just yet..
It was a good hit out yesterday, but the opposition was ordinary, remember the Bronc's game last year.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Just watched a highlight package, the Manly 6 (Josh Shuster)? He is a real find, from memory, we had a look at him, he isn't even first choice over there?

I dunno other then DCE, Turbo and Jake it was most of their first team. The 5/8 for them should keep his spot
Yeah I agree, it was the team they have, if as some have said it was the reserve team and the Tigers won by 10 or lost, the experts would be saying the Tigers have a lot of work to do, the Tigers went on with it and did not give up.

Shuster will be their 5/8, Foran is the feel good story.

Must say about Leichhardt Oval, I have never understood why the West Tigers haven't demanded at least 4 home games at LO by the end of April. (even Phil Gould loves it). Packed out = $$$'s.
Why play at LO on a cold miserable Saturday night in July or Campbelltown for that matter and get 5 or 6k?

Tiger Ted

Bench
Just watched a highlight package, the Manly 6 (Josh Shuster)? He is a real find, from memory, we had a look at him, he isn't even first choice over there?
Yep Maguire tried to lure him to concord 2 yrs ago.Nevertheless I’m very content with AD as our 5/8.He’s a smart player with all the attributes to be a long term success at 5/8.I watched him display the 5/8’s skillset while playing for the shamrocks & Balmain junior rep cup teams.

AD & Laurie will contribute immensely to our steep improvement in the short term.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Yeah I agree, it was the team they have, if as some have said it was the reserve team and the Tigers won by 10 or lost, the experts would be saying the Tigers have a lot of work to do, the Tigers went on with it and did not give up.

Shuster will be their 5/8, Foran is the feel good story.

Must say about Leichhardt Oval, I have never understood why the West Tigers haven't demanded at least 4 home games at LO by the end of April. (even Phil Gould loves it). Packed out = $$$'s.
Why play at LO on a cold miserable Saturday night in July or Campbelltown for that matter and get 5 or 6k?
My definition of Utopia is standing in front of the Norman Latchem Robinson stand at the 8th wonder on a cold june/July sat nite.

Speedy Gonzales

Juniors
Yep Maguire tried to lure him to concord 2 yrs ago.Nevertheless I’m very content with AD as our 5/8.He’s a smart player with all the attributes to be a long term success at 5/8.I watched him display the 5/8’s skillset while playing for the shamrocks & Balmain junior rep cup teams.

AD & Laurie will contribute immensely to our steep improvement in the short term.

I’m stumped on who plays #6 whilst AD is suspended though. I have no faith in mbye but atleast he has experience. Madden can probably do the job as I thought he played solid without being spectacular, but still a work in progress. And Laurie just absolutely needs to be our fullback

I’m leaning towards Mbye at #6, but after round 1 no idea where he fits in

Latest posts