What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

I wonder how much the Olympics announcement will influence the NRL's decision? A 30k boutique stadium could be in the plans for somewhere like Redcliffe, Ipswich or somewhere on the South side. Ballymore will probably get an upgrade or fresh lick of paint though.
Sadly I think AFL will get a brand new stadium in Brisbane, I can't see the Gabba getting upgraded or rebuilt in its current limiting location.
I read that they might build a 50k stadium on the northside (WTF?) or hold the opening and closing ceremony at Lang Park and run the athletics at Carrara and the Gabba. Ballymore will be turned into a 15k hockey complex (lol@onionball).

If they have any brains they'll just rebuild QEII Stadium. Make it 50k seats. Perfect for the Firehawks.

I wonder how much the Olympics announcement will influence the NRL's decision? A 30k boutique stadium could be in the plans for somewhere like Redcliffe, Ipswich or somewhere on the South side. Ballymore will probably get an upgrade or fresh lick of paint though.
Sadly I think AFL will get a brand new stadium in Brisbane, I can't see the Gabba getting upgraded or rebuilt in its current limiting location.
The “possible“ build of a 50,000 seat Olympic stadium at the Mayne Rail yards, Bowen Hills would tick all the boxes as far as public access is concerned. Every Trans Link rail network passes through Bowen Hills Station. The AFL would be mad not to look on with interest. I can’t see it being an influence with the NRL though, Suncorp is so synonymous with Rugby League, though the Gabba might be looking for a winter tenant.

Jamberoo

Juniors
The Olympics are now all about sustainability. Ballymore is getting rebuilt at 15k for the hockey. There won’t be any further outdoor stadiums built unless they go with the 50k option at Albion for athletics and ceremonies. This is unlikely as the IOC wants them to use Metricon for Athletics and the Gabba for ceremonies. The infrastructure spend will be on public transport not stadiums.

I read that they might build a 50k stadium on the northside (WTF?) or hold the opening and closing ceremony at Lang Park and run the athletics at Carrara and the Gabba. Ballymore will be turned into a 15k hockey complex (lol@onionball).

If they have any brains they'll just rebuild QEII Stadium. Make it 50k seats. Perfect for the Firehawks.
Ballymore is owned by the QRU, its not going to be turned into a hockey complex unless they sell it which is unlikely

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
that's a long ass train ride....

View attachment 46157

in fact according to Maps the train from Penrith station to Central in Sydney takes less time...

I see what you mean but Brisbane RL fans are already used to travelling from the outer suburbs to Suncorp to watch NRL level RL. We haven't become accustomed to having local grounds like the fans in Sydney have.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Would be good for afternoon games on the weekend, but a pain in the arse for any game on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night.

If the Dolphins get 15k fans from Brisbane, Redlands and possibly Logan to attend their games, with people from Moreton Bay Region making up 5k-10k of their ticketed supporter base, then they'll do well. Over time they might get a stadium built closer to home. Those who cannot attend from Moreton Bay Region will still be watching on TV and buying merchandise, which makes them valuable to the broadcasters.

I do think Redcliffe should rebrand as Moreton Bay Dolphins from juniors to NRL level so that they can draw upon a larger catchment.

Mate, I tend to think if the Brisbane Olympic bid gets off the ground and Redcliffe are already in the NRL at that point, they could make a good case for a Dolphin Oval upgrade to 25k as a Rugby Sevens ground and a local sporting legacy project (which Governments love out of these big event bids).

Jamberoo

Juniors
Ballymore is owned by the QRU, its not going to be turned into a hockey complex unless they sell it which is unlikely
It is going to host the Hockey in 2032. It’s in the official bid and ticked off by IOC. If the QRU retain ownership good luck to them - a free upgrade to 15k.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Mate, I tend to think if the Brisbane Olympic bid gets off the ground and Redcliffe are already in the NRL at that point, they could make a good case for a Dolphin Oval upgrade to 25k as a Rugby Sevens ground and a local sporting legacy project (which Governments love out of these big event bids).
Brisbane (Queensland actually) have been chosen for 2032, and the bid has been submitted, including a stadium plan and feedback from IOC. Besides Ballymore hosting the Hockey at 15k, there are no plans for rectangular stadium upgrades in Brisbane. Regional areas including Sunshine Coast, & Cairnes will get upgrades with matches also at Robina, Melbourne, Sydney.
The only possible new outdoor stadium in Brisbane is 50k proposed for Athletics and ceremonies at Albion, but that is unlikely.
So, neither NRL nor AFL likely to benefit greatly from these games. Any infrastructure legacy will be around transport, not stadia.

It is going to host the Hockey in 2032. It’s in the official bid and ticked off by IOC. If the QRU retain ownership good luck to them - a free upgrade to 15k.
Its one of the possible locations reported in the media, along with the big complex down on the GC. Nothing has been confirmed by any official source from what ive seen

If Ballymore gets any hockey upgrade it will be off the main field. I just cant see any way the QRU would let their field be torn up and fake hockey surface be put down

Jamberoo

Juniors
Its one of the possible locations reported in the media, along with the big complex down on the GC. Nothing has been confirmed by any official source from what ive seen

If Ballymore gets any hockey upgrade it will be off the main field. I just cant see any way the QRU would let their field be torn up and fake hockey surface be put down
If the trade off for a brand new 15k stadium is having to re-lay the turf, it is a price worth paying.

It may not be concerted into a hockey complex, but that's where the hockey will be played under a redeveloped ground.

https://www.thehockeypaper.co.uk/ar...-hockey-venue-for-brisbanes-2032-olympics-bid

The traditional home of Queensland Rugby, Ballymore, would be transformed into a 15,000-capacity Hockey venue. Redevelopment work at the iconic stadium commenced last week to modernise its facilities.

https://www.austadiums.com/news/921/brisbane-2032-olympic-games-venues-revealed

Desert Qlder

First Grade
But it is an outdated dump isn’t it? Will be rebuilt.

The QRU have just commenced destruction of the old McLean Stand, which is to be replaced by a new stand and headquarters. So it is receiving a much needed upgrade.

This work was occurring separate to any Olympic bid. But interestingly enough, the QRU plans included an Olympic standing climbing wall.

So now doubt it will feature should Brisbane be successful in their bid.

Queensland Hockey has a terrific facility at Colmslie, which is the spiritual home of the sport. I would be surprised if this facility is not utilised.

There has been concerns/talk that having one extra team “for a 17 team competition” does not increase broadcasting revenue “still only 8 games per round” so what’s the point. Well what it does is, it creates a situation where the team that has the bye round should then play “first up” on the following Thursday night FTA match “either home or away” against one of the early time slot Friday night teams from the previous weekend. This way all teams will get some FTA exposure. Rather than the over saturation of a few certain teams on FTA Thursday nights. It is also a fairer turn around in time off between games for teams that play on the weekend, then having to back up on the Thursday night. This is until they eventually do go to an 18 team competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There has been concerns/talk that having one extra team “for a 17 team competition” does not increase broadcasting revenue “still only 8 games per round” so what’s the point. Well what it does is, it creates a situation where the team that has the bye round should then play “first up” on the following Thursday night FTA match “either home or away” against one of the early time slot Friday night teams from the previous weekend. This way all teams will get some FTA exposure. Rather than the over saturation of a few certain teams on FTA Thursday nights. It is also a fairer turn around in time off between games for teams that play on the weekend, then having to back up on the Thursday night. This is until they eventually do go to an 18 team competition.

Tv chooses the games, not the NRL.

Reactions: Vee
I like this idea.

Vee

First Grade
Fair? What drugs are you on?

Latest posts