What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Joseph Suaalii is being set up to fail

DeeJ

Bench
I was surprised that he is already doing media interviews. I remember Bennett put a media ban on K.Hunt when he debuted at 17/18 for his entire first season.

Wizardman

First Grade
In this day and age, I would not let an under 18 year old player play in the NRL. Too many factors.....particularly for someone as hyped as this kid....can get in the way to affect an adult just entering first grade, never mind a kid that has not graduated from high school.

Give him time in the lower grades away from the absolute spotlight to get himself ready.

The big US sports would not even contemplate playing a 17 year old in a big league sport.

Perth Red

Post Whore
4 years in nrl and he can go and earn some decent coin in union lol. Lot of hype for a young kid but if you want the money then it’s sink or swim time.

Valheru

Coach
I'm a roosters fan and I am even sick of hearing about this kid.

This is an all time media beat up. He won't make the team for round 1.

1-5 if fully fit is Teddy, B-Moz, Manu, J-Moz and Tupou. He isn't getting in front of them for round 1 and then there is Smith (once fit) and Ikuvalu after that.

Even if given the exemption he would probably only play a game or 2 around origin if required.

TheDMC

Bench
This might sound crazy, but why not just follow the goddamn rule and let him debut (if required) in August when he turns 18. Five months away...

Galeforce

Bench
I know you are probably taking time off from jerking off at pictures of policemen but it was Souths who originally wanted to apply for the exemption

YES , souths raised this as part of their negotiations when it was Souths or Union.union were offering playing top grade football in 2021 and lure of Australian squad.

Souths were also offering big money.

Now we are to believe Roosters signed him on a low contract $$ and period as a development player.however they are the ones now talking him up .

Get your facts totally right.

tell you what though, if the media are concerned about his welfare, they could always just stop reporting on his every bowel movement.

They are far, far more concerned with clicks than welfare.. Welfare doesn't meet their KPI's so they can pay their bills.

As for the scenario - I don't point fingers at either club (souths / roosters) or even the player himself. But I completely agree with the article.

There will naturally be interest in players of promise coming through the ranks but I've never seen such media attention given to a player who has yet to play a single first grade game. Even from the NRL (on their socials etc). To me it's been absolutely ridiculous.

Of course, touting untried players as "superstars" is nothing new. This has happened before to many players. But usually when they have played at least a few games of first grade (with the dreaded "future origin star" tagged on them by some buffoon commentating the game - usually Andrew Johns).

An example of one I who had anything like the same wraps on him before playing any first grade was a fella by the name of Royston Lighting.. In Schoolboy football has was indeed an absolute weapon of a player. Sadly it didn't pan out that way when he finally got to first grade rugby league.

The last "next big star" to get the treatment was Kalyn Ponga, but the real attention didnt start until he played a few games for the Cowboys. He was even signed to Fox two years ago, featured in their promos and did some show appearances etc. This was all before he'd played rep football and the like, he was only a few seasons into his NRL experience..

Ponga is a good player, no doubt. But tying into themes from this article, he's commonly seen as "over-rated" by much of the league fanbase, under criticism a lot, and has the blowtorch put on him if he makes an error or has a below-par game...It may not affect him personally, or maybe it does.

In my opinion its the parading of him as a "superstar" well before he has effectively achieved sustained greatness in the game to validate it (yes, playing NRL is a great achievement, and something I'll never achieve. I'm not knocking him for it).

Ponga may go on to become a great of the game, a true superstar. And if he does, it will be fantastic to see. But for now if you mention his name on these forums or the topic of "over-rated" players comes up - he's regularly a starter in the discussion. No matter how good he plays or not.

The game needs superstars. It's something I think the NRL genuinely lacks at present. Suaali could eventually be one. But he shouldn't be put up in lights as he has just yet before he takes the field in first grade and proves he's got what it takes to eventually be one.

Danish

Referee
YES , souths raised this as part of their negotiations when it was Souths or Union.union were offering playing top grade football in 2021 and lure of Australian squad.

Souths were also offering big money.

Now we are to believe Roosters signed him on a low contract $$ and period as a development player.however they are the ones now talking him up .

Get your facts totally right.

Is that like how we are to believe Latrell Mitchell walked out on his roosters contract because he wanted to play fullback... only to knock back $1 million+ and the fullback jersey from the tigers to sign a deal shorter and less valuable than his original roosters contract to play centre at Souths?

sualli - or more accurately his dad - didn’t want him on a long term deal. That killed the Souths contract. Easts I think are paying him pretty bloody well for these 2 years. It was really only the length and get out clauses that saw him leave.

also, Souths money was only big for his age. Like $500k per year. If he turned out to be a superstar the last years of his deal they’d have had him at a relative bargain. He (or again, his dad) is taking a punt that they could be demanding massive money by the time his short term roosters deal is up.

big risk on his part which is historically unlikely to come off. Semi big risk on easts part as he has already shown interest in playing rugby and chasing money so again if he turns out a superstar he’ll have money thrown at him from rah rah too (although RA hardly have the cash to chase players anymore)

soc123_au

Staff member
Once channel 9 have the voice over monologue ready for his first game then give him the exemption. It's what the fans deserve for a player of his standing.

Or maybe listen to Wade Graham's thoughts on the matter, he is fairly qualified on the subject. As a Panthers fan I remember Wade coming through. He seemed ready & played pretty bloody well when he got his chance. I remember being frustrated that he was being eased in & he himself looked pissed every time he was on the bench. I believe that the bench time was part of the reason he went to the Sharks. The current NRL knows better than 17 year old Wade did, he says so himself.