What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd T20: New Zealand v Australia at Wellington Mar 3rd 2021

TheParraboy

Staff member
6 day break till the next match - wtf !!

Next Wed 5pm

Expect Australia to make 2-3 changes at least. need to give the likes of McDermott, Turner a run next match, and Behrendorff and Sangha as well before series is out

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Selectors make call on Finch as real reason behind form slump revealed
CRICKET

• February 28, 2021 1:07pm
  • by AFP
  • Source: AFP
dc25cc1d7257878300fb97d9217f37c5

Aaron Finch has been struggling for form. (Photo by Joe Allison/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
Selector George Bailey Sunday insisted under-fire Aaron Finch would be Australia’s skipper at this year’s Twenty20 World Cup, calling mounting criticism of his leadership and form “white noise”.

Finch’s scores of one and 12 in their opening two games against New Zealand last week, coupled with his failure to fire in the recent Big Bash League, has sparked debate over whether he is the right man for the job.

But Bailey told the Melbourne Herald Sun there was no doubt in his mind the 34-year-old opener would be leading the side in India in October.

Watch every ball of the 2021 QANTAS T20 Tour of New Zealand Live & Ad-Break Free During Play with Fox Sports on Kayo. New to Kayo? Get your free trial now & start streaming instantly >

797362_640x360_large_20210228091556.jpg

Victoria's top order does the business

1:05
“He’s got a terrific average, he’s the captain of this side and he’ll be the captain of this side at the World Cup,” said Bailey, one of three selectors alongside Trevor Hohns and national coach Justin Langer.

“It’s just complete white noise for me,” he added of the criticism. Doubts around Finch have been raging, led by former selector Mark Waugh.

“His job is to score runs... no batsman is immune from being dropped when you’re not scoring runs, doesn’t matter if you’re captain or not,” said Waugh, now a pundit.

Australian media have also weighed in with the Sydney Morning Herald saying Finch was “running out of chances to book his ticket to this year’s T20 World Cup”.

Bailey -- the only selector on tour in New Zealand -- attributed Finch’s poor form at the Big Bash, where he averaged just 13.8, to five months spent playing cricket in biosecurity bubbles.

797363_640x360_large_20210228091720.jpg

T20 venue change for AUS v NZL

0:24
“He was pretty zonked,” Bailey said.

“But he tried to do the right thing and get back to help a young (Melbourne) Renegades side.

“His reflection on that was that he probably should’ve sat longer out and come back a bit fresher.”

He added that Finch was hitting well in the nets in New Zealand and pointed to his outstanding record as one of the premier limited overs batsman in the world.

“He’d be in the top five or 10 leading run-scorers, and if he doesn’t have the highest strike-rate amongst them he’d be absolutely close,” he said.

“And he’s done it very, very consistently for Australia over a long period of time, and will continue to do so into the future.”

Australia’s third T20 against New Zealand is in Wellington on Wednesday.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...y/news-story/5450babd6bf18c68a94e1d7bee86807a

TheParraboy

Staff member
^^^ Looks like Hohns and JL have brainwashed Bailey

"He added that Finch was hitting well in the nets in New Zealand and pointed to his outstanding record as one of the premier limited overs batsman in the world."

TheParraboy

Staff member
Remaining 3 T20s all in Wellington and no crowds

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...stralia-men-and-england-women-matches-1253400

Wellington to host remainder of Australia men's and England women's matches
NZC moves matches due to logistical complications caused by shift of Friday's matches from Auckland after the city was put into a lockdown

317090.4.jpg

The remainder of the two ongoing series in New Zealand, involving Australia's men and England's women, will be played entirely in Wellington after the final T20I double-header on Sunday was shifted from Mount Maunganui.

NZC said the change was needed due to "logistical complications" caused by the shift of Friday's matches from Auckland after the city was put into a week-long Covid-19 lockdown. All the remaining matches will be played behind closed doors.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Lol hitting them well in the nets, talk about the go to default line when someone is batting like Aids.

The people running the show in Australian cricket have the cricketing IQ of a used cotton bud. It truly is embarrassing.

Bazal

Post Whore
I always used to scoff at the statements out of form bats were "hitting them well in the nets" until this year when I've been pasting every merkin in the nets but have scored double figures three times in 17 innings....

Don't get me wrong we should defs drop Finchy but at least I can see where people are coming from when they say it I guess.

Eelectrica

Referee
Lol hitting them well in the nets, talk about the go to default line when someone is batting like Aids.

The people running the show in Australian cricket have the cricketing IQ of a used cotton bud. It truly is embarrassing.
I'm mostly curious as to who it is that's bowling to Finch in the nets.

At this point I'm thinking it's either Bailey, Wade or Kane Richardson.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Must win game for the Aussies

Will the heros stand up, Finchy, Wadey, Bisony, Big Showy?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
get rid of them and we might have a chance although MMarsh hasn't been too bad

Bazal

Post Whore
We'll be right lads. We've kept the stars like Fatty and Kane and dropped the bloke who's probably bowled better than most apart from a few late overs, and hits the ball further than the tope four combined.

Geeenius

Bazal

Post Whore
Maybe that's the luck Fatty needs, umpire should be giving those IMO that's plumb