What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruitment and Retention at the Dragons.

Dragon David

First Grade
No further mention by Hook about any further recruitment. Ghostrider22 started another recruitment thread which should be merged with this one. He mentioned Brandon Smith and I'd say he would be extremely unlikely to come to the Dragons as he will be the hooker to cover for Harry Grant's layoff from injury sustained on the weekend and possibly 4-5 weeks into the premiership proper.

Old Timer

Coach
Having 2 bases / hubs is always going to make it difficult.

Also inevitable that tight little groups form in all teams and that creates a them / us mentality and that is exacerbated due to our current structure.

If you were a reasonable quality player looking at joining St GI you are faced with the dilemma Sydney or the Gong which has some financial implications.

If you are set up in Sydney and you want to maximise your time you either have to sell your property and buy in the Gong which makes it harder getting back into the Sydney property market or maybe you have to rent a house down there and that cost might negate any increase you might get in your contract offer from us.

I suspect that the Raiders suffer from a similar discouraging location issue and maybe why they have a lot of Pomm's and Kiwi's.

Ghostrider22

Juniors
No further mention by Hook about any further recruitment. Ghostrider22 started another recruitment thread which should be merged with this one. He mentioned Brandon Smith and I'd say he would be extremely unlikely to come to the Dragons as he will be the hooker to cover for Harry Grant's layoff from injury sustained on the weekend and possibly 4-5 weeks into the premiership proper.
Thanks Dragon Dave

Dragon David

First Grade
People say that the split locations is an issue? It wasn't when Bennett was coach.
I don't think it was an issue from the commencement of the joint venture to the departure of Bennett as far as I can remember. For some reason the split between the 'Gong and Kogarah has been during McGregor's time - Jason Saab was one guy that we know of who didn't like the travel to the "Gong and so I assume that as he publicly conveyed this there would be others possibly within or those outside debating whether or not the split is any good, and for reasons as O/T mentioned, to join the club.

To me, we have lost the power to draw "better" players to the club, besides the two locations possibly being a problem, as our image as a force has been fading. We certainly did not continue on our winning ways when Bennett decided to join Newcastle and this could have been another reason why we lost some edge in getting better players under Price and McGregor. Bennett leaving meant that our club would not be strong and good players did not join. It certainly turned out that way in the end.

Our "policy" of signing rejects from other clubs has been a big worry. To me just to make up the numbers.
I see this continuing unfortunately.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Tigers have announced signing of Tom Amine. He is related to one of our juniors why didn't we make a move on him.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
This whole bullshit about travel is just that - bullshit.

Plenty of folk in Sydney have longer commutes than blokes going between Kogarah & Wollongong.. And are heading to far less glamorous jobs for far less pay.

blacksafake

First Grade
This whole bullshit about travel is just that - bullshit.

Plenty of folk in Sydney have longer commutes than blokes going between Kogarah & Wollongong.. And are heading to far less glamorous jobs for far less pay.
Agree Muzby.
I live in the South West of Sydney & can get to the gong in less than an hour but it takes me up to an hour & a half at times to get to work & then I've got the drive back home & for far less money these players are on.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Is this thread the same as the other "2021 Signings m, Resgnings".
Can we merge makes it easier if you want to see who we are on looking to sign, new signings, resigning.
Keep it simple merge one with the other please.

Latest posts