What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Very difficult to draw a line on our current forwards. Many, bar a few, have only know the Mc85 style of play, basically the bash, the barge and the burn-out.
The new coaching regime will change this and for all we know we may have an excellent pack, creative, fast and skillful.
This is currently the great unknown.

However, to assume we are the same as before is well intentioned, but some credence must be given to ALL our squad and see what changes have taken place.

I actually like the look of our prospective forwards and the new rules certainly place more emphasis on speed, skill and fitness. I will be intently focused on how our forwards perform on Saturday.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Very difficult to draw a line on our current forwards. Many, bar a few, have only know the Mc85 style of play, basically the bash, the barge and the burn-out.
The new coaching regime will change this and for all we know we may have an excellent pack, creative, fast and skillful.
This is currently the great unknown.

However, to assume we are the same as before is well intentioned, but some credence must be given to ALL our squad and see what changes have taken place.

I actually like the look of our prospective forwards and the new rules certainly place more emphasis on speed, skill and fitness. I will be intently focused on how our forwards perform on Saturday.
Well said and the fact that the BIG RED V Now has a capable coach should see a different look .,I'm not expecting a win tomorrow but let's wait and see when we play the gummys in the first round go boys ,,,,,,

getsmarty

Immortal
remote.axd

Ramsey discusses extended deal

SIGNINGS

Breaking
Ramsey re-signs with Red V
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 26 Feb 2021, 03:57 PM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra have announced that Cody Ramsey has re-signed with the Dragons for a further three seasons, until at least the end of the 2024.

Ramsey made his NRL debut in Round 18 last year and went on to play three first grade games by season end.

The NRL Perth Nines Rookie of the Tournament will now be on the hunt to secure a Round 1 backline berth during Saturday's Charity Shield clash against the Rabbitohs.

"I'm stoked to remain a Dragon for the next few years. I've had a great journey getting to this point in my career and it means a whole lot to my whole family that I've managed to secure my future in the Red V," Ramsey said.

"I still have a lot more improvement and learning in me. That's something that has been drilled into me by all my coaches which I can appreciate. I can't wait to develop further and better myself over the coming years."

Dragons general manager of football Ben Haran said Ramsey is a player who Red V members, partners and fans should be excited about.

"Cody showed a great desire to remain a Dragon, which is very important for a proud organisation such as St George Illawarra," Haran said.

"We identified a number of years ago that Cody had great potential and we're starting to see him deliver on that now in the top squad.

"To see a quality player and person like Cody come through our junior representative pathway is another pleasing aspect to his retention.

"Cody's ability to play in numerous positions will hold him in good stead over the upcoming season and beyond."

Ramsey's re-signing follows the signings of Andrew McCullough, Daniel Alvaro, Jack Bird and Poasa Faamausili and the retention of Mat and Max Feagai, Josh Kerr, Jackson Ford, Mikaele Ravalawa, Adam Clune, Junior Amone and Tyrell Sloan ahead of the Dragons' 2021 campaign.

Be in that number in 2021. Become a Red V member today. For more information on membership, please visit: dragons.com.au/membership. Have any questions? Check our membership FAQs or contact us via 1300 DRAGON (1300 372 466) during business hours, or email redv@dragons.com.au.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/02/26/ramsey-re-signs-with-red-v/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons expose player manager lies in Eels star’s ‘contract bait’ negotiations
NRL Premiership
mark_st_john.jpg

49b9cf1c9d1e609fd4a297120bac34cb

Nathan Brown has been falsely linked to the Dragons by her management.Source: Getty Images
The Dragons are fed up with NRL player managers using their club as “contract bait” to increase interest in off-contract players after being falsely linked to Eels star Nathan Brown.

The Daily Telegraph reported Eels lock Brown is the latest player to be falsely linked to the Dragons, with the club taking the unusual step of calling the Eels directly to confirm they have no interest in the Origin star.

The 27-year old comes off-contract at the end of the 2021 season and hopes to remain at Parramatta long-term.

According to The Daily Telegraph Brown is currently on a deal worth approximately $620,000 per season, while his management are looking to secure a new deal north of $700,000-a-year.

In a desperate bid to maximise his next contract, Brown’s management, led by NRL agent Jonathan Wehbe, told the Eels that the Dragons were showing strong interest in the NSW representative.

Upon hearing the reports the Dragons then immediately contacted the Eels to deny any interest in the lock.

The Eels were told that up to three NRL clubs were also chasing Brown, but The Daily Telegraph revealed that no clubs have been identified with showing genuine interest.

Brown has played 100 NRL games since his debut for the Tigers in 2013, before moving to the Rabbitohs and then the Eels where he has played 71 games since 2017.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/93a32681d903b4623a393d8dbacb7187

remote.axd

Ramsey discusses extended deal

SIGNINGS

Breaking
Ramsey re-signs with Red V
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 26 Feb 2021, 03:57 PM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra have announced that Cody Ramsey has re-signed with the Dragons for a further three seasons, until at least the end of the 2024.

Ramsey made his NRL debut in Round 18 last year and went on to play three first grade games by season end.

The NRL Perth Nines Rookie of the Tournament will now be on the hunt to secure a Round 1 backline berth during Saturday's Charity Shield clash against the Rabbitohs.

"I'm stoked to remain a Dragon for the next few years. I've had a great journey getting to this point in my career and it means a whole lot to my whole family that I've managed to secure my future in the Red V," Ramsey said.

"I still have a lot more improvement and learning in me. That's something that has been drilled into me by all my coaches which I can appreciate. I can't wait to develop further and better myself over the coming years."

Dragons general manager of football Ben Haran said Ramsey is a player who Red V members, partners and fans should be excited about.

"Cody showed a great desire to remain a Dragon, which is very important for a proud organisation such as St George Illawarra," Haran said.

"We identified a number of years ago that Cody had great potential and we're starting to see him deliver on that now in the top squad.

"To see a quality player and person like Cody come through our junior representative pathway is another pleasing aspect to his retention.

"Cody's ability to play in numerous positions will hold him in good stead over the upcoming season and beyond."

Ramsey's re-signing follows the signings of Andrew McCullough, Daniel Alvaro, Jack Bird and Poasa Faamausili and the retention of Mat and Max Feagai, Josh Kerr, Jackson Ford, Mikaele Ravalawa, Adam Clune, Junior Amone and Tyrell Sloan ahead of the Dragons' 2021 campaign.

Be in that number in 2021. Become a Red V member today. For more information on membership, please visit: dragons.com.au/membership. Have any questions? Check our membership FAQs or contact us via 1300 DRAGON (1300 372 466) during business hours, or email redv@dragons.com.au.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/02/26/ramsey-re-signs-with-red-v/

Sullivan next please.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/72aeaad295648edb2358c2e3701a109a

Would this proposal help us? I think we have 3 more signings to complete our squad and possibly 4 if we lose JDB. Might be some good ones become available later this year.

Only 4 clubs have currently filled their roster according to that article. Yes we have space, but we will still be competing against Roosters, Sharkies, Doggies etc. If we are going OK at the time, then yes that would help.

Dragon David

First Grade
It will be more beneficial for clubs in contention for the finals and open to rorts
Yes, that's how I see it as well and a few league legends and scribes feel the same.
It will become a lottery for us and knowing our recent years form, we tend not to fare very well when stronger clubs bid and are then chosen by those players on the market and we end up with the dregs.

getsmarty

Immortal
2021-preview_dragons_20210200.jpg

DRAGONS

NRL.com previews Dragons 2021 season
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 2 Mar 2021, 07:01 AM
walterbrad-head.png

Share on social media
Since leading the 2018 competition from the opening round until a month before the finals, the Dragons haven't had much to celebrate.

A gritty finals exit after South Sydney halfback Adam Reynolds kicked three field goals against an injury-depleted team gave hope for the following season but instead, Red V fans have had to endure two years of frustration.

There have been legitimate excuses for St George Illawarra's demise, like the loss of Gareth Widdop and unavailability of Jack de Belin, but ultimately a lack of results cost coach Paul McGregor his job.

However, the Dragons have had a long-term focus on a group of young players who are just beginning to emerge into the NRL ranks and the future looks bright.

The 2021 outlook
What's new
After finishing 12th last season and 15th in 2019, the Dragons have undergone a major overhaul of their coaching and playing ranks.

Anthony Griffin replaces McGregor as coach and he has bought in experienced duo Matthew Elliott and Peter Gentle as assistants.

Captain Cameron McInnes has played his last game in the Red V after rupturing his ACL in a training mishap just days after signing with Cronulla for next season, while the departures of Tyson Frizell and James Graham mean Griffin will have an entirely new on-field leadership team.

remote.axd

Ramsey re-signs with the Dragons

Ramsey re-signs with the Dragons

Star playmaker Ben Hunt was chosen ahead of second-rower Tariq Sims for the captain’s job, and new recruit Andrew McCullough will also play a leadership role.

Like McCullough, former NSW Origin utility Jack Bird has also made the move from Brisbane to Wollongong, and he is likely to start the season in place of centre Euan Aitken, who has joined the Warriors.

Griffin has bolstered St George Illawarra’s forward depth with the addition of Daniel Alvaro (Eels), Kaide Ellis (Panthers) and Poasa Faamausili (Roosters).

The draw
The Dragons recorded an NRL.com index score of 198 when the 2021 draw was announced in November, ranking them fifth for the toughness of schedule with 12 matches against 2020 finals teams.

Dragons fans will be hoping their team can start the season well as they face a tough run home, with their last six matches against the Rabbitohs (twice), Panthers, Roosters, Raiders and Cowboys.

St George Illawarra are drawn to play home and away matches against the Sharks, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Raiders, Tigers, Bulldogs, Sea Eagles and Cowboys.

remote.axd

Will Hunt lock down Dragons' No.7 jersey in 2021?

Will Hunt lock down Dragons' No.7 jersey in 2021?

Burning question
Can the Dragons' Generation Next lead a Red V revival?

St George Illawarra boast some of the best young talent in the NRL but whether they are ready yet for NRL action is unknown.

Teen playmaker Jayden Sullivan, 18-year-old five-eighth Tom Amone, centres Mat and Max Feagai, 20, and fullback Tyrell Sloan, 18, were all members of the club’s 2019 SG Ball champion winning team, and there are others just behind them.

Cody Ramsey and Zac Lomax, who was a member of last season's NSW Origin squad, are both 21.

The hope is that as the youngsters establish themselves at NRL level in the coming seasons, the Dragons will emulate the feats of Penrith last year.

Stat that gives you hope
The Dragons started well in most matches but fell away last season, trailing at halftime in just eight of their 20 matches.

If Griffin can prevent the second-half fade-outs St George Illawarra could be finals contenders.

Breakout player
Almost anyone who has seen Jayden Sullivan play would be excited by his potential.

Sullivan is vying for a playmaker role with Ben Hunt, Corey Norman and Adam Clune but the 19-year-old is considered a star in the making after making his NRL debut in the last match of 2020 against Melbourne.

Almost as impressive as his on-field talents is the fact Sullivan is willing to be patient and learn as much as he can from the likes of Hunt and Norman. It is only a matter of time before he forces his way into the line-up.

Contract matters
Having re-signed boom outside back Cody Ramsey, the Dragons' focus is likely to turn to the futures of Paul Vaughan, Matt Dufty, Corey Norman and a host of other players coming off contract this year.

Griffin has told the 10 players unsigned beyond this year that they would not receive an offer until he had a chance to evaluate them. McInnes has already signed with the Sharks.

Vaughan has an option for another season, while Dufty, Norman, Tyrell Fuimaono, Jordan Pereira and Trent Merrin are off contract at the end of the season.

What you need to know NRL Fantasy-wise
Jack Bird ($374k) is a very popular option in the centres despite a horror run of injuries, and should be a steal if he gets plenty of minutes in the forward pack. Zac Lomax ($627k) was the highest-scoring centre in Fantasy last year but doesn't come cheap, while Jackson Ford ($441k) and Max Feagai ($246k) could both be cash cows and new signing Andrew McCullough ($724k) is a potential cut-price keeper.

birdjack-team-photo-1gp_3234_2021213105510.jpg

Dragons utility player Jack Bird. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
The quote
Tariq Sims: "Probably what's stood out the most this year that everyone's been put on notice and no-one's above the team. It started from day one and it's carried all the way through."

The good, the bad and the likely
The good: The Dragons will be hoping a change of coach and a host of players trying to earn new contracts will see their fortunes turn around after two dismal seasons.

The bad: St George Illawarra have lost a lot of experience with Cameron McInnes sidelined with an ACL injury and the departures of Tyson Frizell, James Graham and Euan Aitken. The Dragons have some great young talent but the club’s depth looks challenged and it could be another long season if Griffin is forced to rely on rookies.

The likely: Expect the Dragons to either scrape into the top eight or finish just outside it if they can find some consistency this season. The club has too many good players to finish near the bottom again.

Dragons in 2021
To participate in the survey, you must be logged in to your NRL account.

Already have an NRL Account? Log In

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/03/02/dragons-2021-season-preview/

Mjab

Juniors
We should go hard for Nathan Brown from the eels. Forget JDB, let him go to the Warriors to play with Aitken.
Throw 700K at Brown and sign him on a 3 year deal. He’s only 27, in his prime.
I agree
Eels player year a few times
Always seems to put in
If JDB is gone I would throw money at him

getsmarty

Immortal
March 4 2021 - 5:11PM
Hunt urges Dragons fans to be patient
r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Dragons skipper Ben Hunt has asked fans to be patient and not judge the team too early this season.
Ben Hunt has issued a plea to St George Illawarra fans to remain patient, urging supporters to judge the team a month into the NRL and not on a preseason trial.

The Dragons were thumped 48-16 by South Sydney in Saturday night's Charity Shield, in a horror start to life under new coach Anthony Griffin.

The club remain the outright favourites for the wooden spoon, while the decision not to re-sign former captain Cameron McInnes has also angered fans.

But while new captain Hunt could understand fan fury and accepted Saturday's loss was a wake-up call for some players, he urged Saints fans to give them time.

"I'm not surprised at all (by their response). I'm a fan, I understand it," Hunt said.

"You seen how we went last year and then we came out in our first semi serious game and dished that up.

"As a fan I totally understand what they are looking at. I think we got some big lessons out of it.

"But give us a couple of months. We have a new coach, new staff and new players. We're changing how we defend. It's going to take time.

"After five or six rounds if we're still throwing that up, fly into us."

Dragons fans are traditionally regarded as among the most unforgiving in the NRL, with former coach Paul McGregor to have felt their wrath in recent years.

Hunt on Thursday admitted they could be "savage", but said that was understandable given the club has won just one finals match since 2011.

"It's a pretty big year for us ... We want to turn it around," Hunt said.

"I think we can do it. We have the right staff in place. We have some good building blocks player-wise."

The Dragons' dramatic preseason also included the brief pursuit of Israel Folau, before the board decided to withdraw their application to the NRL for his return.

Hunt admitted he was disappointed not to have the chance to reunite with Folau, after playing alongside him at Brisbane in 2009 and 2010.

"Just looking at him as a footy player I am disappointed in that sense," Hunt said.

The halfback also believed players would have no issue playing alongside him, after homophobic social media posts cost him his career in rugby.

"Personally I think he is entitled to his opinion ... but probably keep it to yourself a bit more," Hunt said.

Meanwhile a decision is expected on Dragons' five-eighth Corey Norman's availability for round one as soon as Friday, with the NRL weighing up claims he was acting in self-defence during a street brawl.

Australian Associated Press

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/7153563/hunt-urges-dragons-fans-to-be-patient/

Latest posts