What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL logos on everyday items

TheRam

Coach
The AFL get a free kick in corporate Australia all the time

Of course they do. They didn't just wake up one day and got it or they don't have a magic wand. They put in all the hard yards while the NRL were sleeping at the wheel.

Almost to late now to really threaten them actually. It would take one hell of a turn around from ALL the NRL partners to do so and that ain't happening anytime soon even with V'Landys trying his arse off. Too many vested interests from club land, State bodies and Players all wanting their bit over the good of the game.

No, V'Landys will tinker and make a few improvements, but ultimately the die is cast. With in two decades from now, overwhelming most Aussies will consider themselves as AFL fans and it will only get worse for the NRL from there.

We have failed to propagate the sport into the 21st Century successfully.

Idris 84

Juniors
I agree with a small percentage of what you say but i don't think afl will ever overtake league in nsw and qld. There is too much history there. I think all it will do is take the space previously filled by union and absorb that base and maybe become like basketball with a decent junior participation rate. I don't even think they'd think they'll be number one in nsw and qld, i think they'd just be aiming for a small slice of the pie (more so at unions expense).

Perth Red

Post Whore
I agree with a small percentage of what you say but i don't think afl will ever overtake league in nsw and qld. There is too much history there. I think all it will do is take the space previously filled by union and absorb that base and maybe become like basketball with a decent junior participation rate. I don't even think they'd think they'll be number one in nsw and qld, i think they'd just be aiming for a small slice of the pie (more so at unions expense).

never is a very long time. If you had said a few decades ago union would be in the state it is in now people would have laughed. RL has a good strong base but it is stagnant and generally stagnant things don’t stay strong forever. We’ll see where the game gets to this decade, afl is really at the size it wants so it can now concentrate on growing from that base, nrl is still a long way from even being national, let alone with two clubs in every capital city. The biggest concern is the revenue gap between the codes and the fact it is growing larger every year. Until the nrl manages to make up that $250mill a year it is always going to be falling behind,

The Great Dane

First Grade
There's a reason why people still refer to baseball as America's favorite pastime despite the fact that it's maybe the third most popular team sport in America these days.

I bet there were baseball fans across America that said similar things to what you have in the 30s, 40s, and 50s.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
eh i think this kind of promotion doesn't achieve much to be honest. Everyone already knows what AFL is, seeing it on a milk carton isn't going to get someone interested in it. Why do you want your sport which is supposed to be entertainment connected to Milk or Bread?
Actually you'd be surprised how effective blanket marketing and cross promotion strategies can be.

I want to stress that I'm over simplifying a lot, but most research shows that, at least initially, people have a tendency to gravitate to the first product/brand that they associate with any given need. In other words even if they don't currently need (e.g.) a lawn mower, if they come to associate lawn mowers with (e.g.) Victa then when they are in the market for a lawn mower then Victa is where they'll start looking.

As I said before it's more complex then that (people don't just associate one product/brand with any given need, and there're positive and negative associations for example), and it's even trickier when it comes to subjective products, such as the entertainment industry, but I think you grasp the basic concept without having to get too technical.

Also it's hard to argue that cross promotion doesn't work really well when done right, I mean it's not an accident that the current Canberra Milk merchandise (ironically) and the Hulk jerseys are some of the Raiders best sellers in recent memory.
However in the case of bread and milk it's fair to say that the bread and milk companies are probably getting more out of the association than the AFL is, but the money and exposure is jut cream to the AFL so it's still a win-win.

TheRam

Coach
Actually you'd be surprised how effective blanket marketing and cross promotion strategies can be.

I want to stress that I'm over simplifying a lot, but most research shows that, at least initially, people have a tendency to gravitate to the first product/brand that they associate with any given need. In other words even if they don't currently need (e.g.) a lawn mower, if they come to associate lawn mowers with (e.g.) Victa then when they are in the market for a lawn mower then Victa is where they'll start looking.

As I said before it's more complex then that (people don't just associate one product/brand with any given need, and there're positive and negative associations for example), and it's even trickier when it comes to subjective products, such as the entertainment industry, but I think you grasp the basic concept without having to get too technical.

Also it's hard to argue that cross promotion doesn't work really well when done right, I mean it's not an accident that the current Canberra Milk merchandise (ironically) and the Hulk jerseys are some of the Raiders best sellers in recent memory.
However in the case of bread and milk it's fair to say that the bread and milk companies are probably getting more out of the association than the AFL is, but the money and exposure is jut cream to the AFL so it's still a win-win.

Are you saying that the AFL get paid to have their logo put on products?

mongoose

Coach
Of course they do. They didn't just wake up one day and got it or they don't have a magic wand. They put in all the hard yards while the NRL were sleeping at the wheel.

Almost to late now to really threaten them actually. It would take one hell of a turn around from ALL the NRL partners to do so and that ain't happening anytime soon even with V'Landys trying his arse off. Too many vested interests from club land, State bodies and Players all wanting their bit over the good of the game.

No, V'Landys will tinker and make a few improvements, but ultimately the die is cast. With in two decades from now, overwhelming most Aussies will consider themselves as AFL fans and it will only get worse for the NRL from there.

We have failed to propagate the sport into the 21st Century successfully.

the worst part is that League should be more marketable than AFL is.

It's tougher, it looks better on a TV screen, it looks more multi-cultural. AFL still appears very white and the recent reports about Collingwood show that factions of that sport are still living in a bygone era. League is a much more scalable game than Aussie rules, easier to set up and play.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Are you saying that the AFL get paid to have their logo put on products?
Depends on the individual deal, but in most cases their brand being featured on other products would be part of a sponsorship deal. In other words they'd be getting paid for it most of the time.

TheRam

Coach
Depends on the individual deal, but in most cases their brand being featured on other products would be part of a sponsorship deal. In other words they'd be getting paid for it most of the time.

My God how useless is our sport. Jeez.

The Great Dane

First Grade
My God how useless is our sport. Jeez.
It's not that simple.

The AFL or sponsor might be negotiating exposure into their sponsorship deals, but depending on the deal that may or may not mean that it makes it more monetarily valuable to the AFL.

In other words if the AFL wants, e.g., NAB to feature them on their products as part of the deal then NAB may be willing to do so, but it'd come at a cost that might mean that NAB isn't willing to pay as much for the sponsorship.
Where as if it's the other way around and NAB wants to feature the AFL on their products it'd probably increase the value of the deal for the AFL.

Also you can't force a business to promote a product for you. So no matter what the NRL or AFL does some potential sponsors/partners will simply be unwilling to take part in that sort of deal.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Growing the women's game will get sponsors on board as most consumers are female.
It'll definitely get sponsors on board at least initially, but that's more to do with politics than anything else.

Women may make up the majority of the population, and therefore are most of the consumers, but it's a bad assumption to think that because most consumers are female that that means that there's a large demand for NRLW products simply because it's a female league.

People tend to buy either the product with the best reputation that they can afford, the most convenient product, the cheapest product, or some mixture of the three. And I mean no disrespect when I say this, but I highly doubt that there will ever be a time when the NRLW is held in higher regard than the NRL or is more convenient to consume.
That's not to say that there won't be support for a women's league, or that it's not worth doing, I'm simply saying that no matter what, chances are that A. men will make up the majority of the consumers of both leagues, and B. that more women will probably consume NRL products than NRLW products on average.

It'll definitely get sponsors on board at least initially, but that's more to do with politics than anything else.

Women may make up the majority of the population, and therefore are most of the consumers, but it's a bad assumption to think that because most consumers are female that that means that there's a large demand for NRLW products simply because it's a female league.

People tend to buy either the product with the best reputation that they can afford, the most convenient product, the cheapest product, or some mixture of the three. And I mean no disrespect when I say this, but I highly doubt that there will ever be a time when the NRLW is held in higher regard than the NRL or is more convenient to consume.
That's not to say that there won't be support for a women's league, or that it's not worth doing, I'm simply saying that no matter what, chances are that A. men will make up the majority of the consumers of both leagues, and B. that more women will probably consume NRL products than NRLW products on average.
NRLW will never be anything but a side gig that most people couldn't care about, but that's not what I was getting at. Increasing the participation rate amongst women will improve the game's reputation. Single mothers are becoming the norm, so it's important to get women onside so that they view RL as the best option for their kids to play. That's where our future players and fans will come from. It wouldn't hurt to get more middle class women interested in the game.

Fumbleball is preferred by clueless non-sporting middleclass parents who think RL is for thugs and the lower class. That's what we need to change.

Dodgy

Juniors
Just bog standard political maneuvering rather than smart work and investment.

NRLMad

Juniors
Cricketers promoting AFL constantly, billboards at most Australian airports (essentially the first ad you see), AFL players on every popular reality TV show ever...
Cricket is just cross promotional as its 7, but I dislike that, it’s the keeper who is always playing with the afl ball.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cricket is just cross promotional as its 7, but I dislike that, it’s the keeper who is always playing with the afl ball.

i was aghast when arriving at sydney airport and seeing gws advertising everywhere, you wouldnt know you was entering the heart of rugby league in this country , nothing nrl related on show.