What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt pleading for time

LINESPEED

Juniors
Hunt sounds like he has learned a few things from Mary about preparing your excuses early.

Defensive structure is one thing, but being able to execute in clutch moments is another. Hunt has had years to work on this, what difference will another 6 weeks make?

He’d be well served to shut up and let his footy do the talking. We desperately need a leader, and he is going to need to step up.

Sure does SBD82.
Deflection & Spin #101:

Lower expectations
& feel comfortable in that space

Underperformance engineered

- the self-fulfilling prophecies of old

FMD

How about some claret on the badge?

Some enculturing

.... & ribcrunching hits
instead of going-through-the-motions soft-cuddle-mauling the opposition?

& some adrenaline in the hit ups?

rather than forwards looking for a soft place to fall over?

I saw Ben Creagh kamikaze-hurl himself at the line once?

WTF it’s been a long time between drinks?

We’ve all seen single hit ups & tackles become game changers

Inspirational stuff - culture forming?

Hope I haven’t wasted my XPT ticket Hook?

... & it’s not ugly from the stands

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Over and over we hear the same spiel every year from either the coach or the captain. It's like a tape recording.

I know that us Dragons fans want to hear positive things come out of the mouths of the so called speakers of the club but I prefer that they say that they will be trying their best in each game and keep it at that.

TruSaint

Referee
I’m new to the club and we haven’t done anything at this club since 2010. It’s been a while since we’ve had some success. The fans are getting a bit riled up.”

You're in your fourth season with us Ben.
Spare me the " Im new here " bs.

redv13

Bench
I’m new to the club and we haven’t done anything at this club since 2010. It’s been a while since we’ve had some success. The fans are getting a bit riled up.”

You're in your fourth season with us Ben.
Spare me the " Im new here " bs.
Yeah that comment was a little silly. Time to take ownership buddy considering it’s your 4th season now, you’re the captain and number 7. Show some passion and that you give a shit and the supporters will back you 100%

Gareth67

First Grade
I am all for giving the man a go ,but I tell you what he needs to start jabbing his finger at the players who are not doing their jobs , truly voicing his disgust at them for some lazy half-hearted defense.

And when those same lazy sods start to mope around the goalposts with their heads hanging down to their bootlaces after a try has been put on them , blast the living crap out of them .

It does not matter whom the captain is , Benny or the fella wearing the yellow boots , they have an obligation to get the best from their teammates whilst on the field - the coach cannot do this , only the captain.

So I do sincerely wish Benny all the best , but he has a damn tough task ahead of him .

Last edited:

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
The response to Ben Hunt's words has been pretty fierce on here. Some comments on the need for effort and consistency are certainly valid. So too are those relating to basic shortcomings in play such as allowing bombs to bounce, the generally poor short kicking game, goal line defence and poor handling. The current squad cannot afford to give the opposition more than 50% of possession and expect to win. I also agree with the comments on defence - that was all Bennett was interested in the early months of 2009.

We all know leadership has been lacking for some time. Is Hunt up to it? I do not know. He will certainly need to play to his best. At least his words acknowledge that Dragons' fans have had plenty to complain about and that the Charity Shield just added more disappointment for us supporters. Who else from the club has publicly recognised that over the period 2012-20? Griffin too gave an honest appraisal of last week's effort. Honesty is an important starting point for improvement.

Perhaps Hunt was displaying leadership in making his remarks, trying to encourage his team to stick together in the knowledge that with time improvement will come. We will soon find out. After the CS I am only hopeful about a better year rather than optimistic as I was previously. I have been debating with myself whether I'll travel up from Wollongong for Round 1. My decision to attend only came after I found out that reserve grade will also be playing at Jubilee. Can't resist seeing all the boys from the full squad in action on the one afternoon.

Benny Hunt & Co

Do your talking on the field.

No need to plead for patience.

As fans, if we see our team give it all, effort wise, respect both themselves as professionals and the hallowed jersey they pull on, we are satisfied.

Yes we want the team to play positive enterprising footy, but also to defend as if their lives depended on the result.

No excuses, we are deaf to hollow words.

Dragon David

First Grade
Who is going to kick Benny up the arse when he fumbles and stumbles and misses tackles in the games. Someone on the field needs to be able to do this and Hook can add a few words in the dressing room.

I honestly don't think that Benny is tough enough to lead the team. If his confidence is down and looks to the heavens, he could go missing so someone on the field needs to smarten him up as well.

Juniors
Some relentless in-your-face forward linespeed would at least show that the coaches have worked on commitment & attitude?

Linespeed is not a difficult or special skill

- even for the talent challenged.

It’s a barometer of laziness

So no more backs turned,
leaden-footed waiting, lame-duck trotting, backpedaling, sliding or ADD* gamewatching fellas

... or it’s CC or seeya later & next please.

The energy or otherwise will be there for all to see in the opening minutes come Sunday.

And I’m afraid Hookie that’s a coaching-inspired thing that sure don’t take a month to fix eh Benny?

*attention deficit disorder
Problem is if we “see ya” we will have no one left. Our only real hope is getting jdb and another quality back rower

This Year?

Immortal
This is the way I see it.

He missed a great opportunity to show himself as a leader and make us want to get behind him. When he came to the club, I wanted him to be successful and to slay the demons of 2015. He has the ability and his 2018 form especially in the games against the Broncos showed that.
Instead of calling us "savage" he could have used "passionate" and instead of making excuses he could have said something to inspire the team and the fans, maybe something like "we are making many changes which will make us a better team, better players and as the captain I urge the fans to get behind us".

You're a captain now Ben, you're our best player and our leader. Time to be all those things and start building the culture that Hook was talking about.

Make us proud.

TruSaint

Referee

He missed a great opportunity to show himself as a leader and make us want to get behind him. When he came to the club, I wanted him to be successful and to slay the demons of 2015. He has the ability and his 2018 form especially in the games against the Broncos showed that.
Instead of calling us "savage" he could have used "passionate" and instead of making excuses he could have said something to inspire the team and the fans, maybe something like "we are making many changes which will make us a better team, better players and as the captain I urge the fans to get behind us".

You're a captain now Ben, you're our best player and our leader. Time to be all those things and start building the culture that Hook was talking about.

Make us proud.

Spot on.

We all want him and the Club to succeed, that why his article today didn't sit well with me.

Don't compare us to Donkey fans, don't tell us we're savage, you are now Captain of Saints. Noone gives a f**k about what Broncos fans went through. He should have been advised on what to say.

Captain script 101 " For a famous club like STGI, the fans expect success with its rich history, bla bla fricken bla".

It was Ben when he first arrived here that had issues on social media with his wife speaking out. I don't condone what some fans said online, but that aside, expect scrutiny.

Whether he is on 1 mil or 800k is irrelevant.

Like the coach, I will see how he evolves, and judge him on performance and leadership. Not where we finish on the ladder this year.

Warabrook saint

Juniors

Make us proud.
Pretty ordinary to be described as savages....if it doesn't go to plan.....well we're only savage so it don't matter

thebigredv

First Grade
I'm trying very hard not make a very sarcastic remark about Ben Hunt asking fans to be more patient. They (the captains/players etc) can't tell us to support Mary all these years and then plead for more time just because of a change of coach. Ben Hunt - step up now rather than in a year when you are looking for more contract money. Sure, give the young blokes a bit of grace, but you are sapping our club of good money and for what??

Gareth67

First Grade
New coaching staff , new ideas to make the team more competitive and a new captain in a new season .

That being the case , excuses of old from seasons past with the previous coach and his tactics (?) are no longer valid . It is up to each and every player to realize this and earn their place in the team by playing to the very best of their ability and also to support their captain and coach .

Of course a couple of big hard nosed forwards with plenty of grunt in their motors would not had gone astray , but we are what we are and they will need to adapt to it . Perhaps if they bear in mind - as a number of other gents have already said - play with their heart on their sleeves and spill plenty of blood and sweat then the results of matches would be in our favor ?

Last edited:
I agree with all of you on a number of things mentioned here, though there is some merit in saying not to write them off after the first 1 or 2 games. There are a lot of new young players etc., I assume it will take some time, something they don't have a lot of in order to test themselves. I think rounds 6 to 10 will tell the story, personally, I will wait till then before I jump on the "we are total rubbish" bandwagon.

Latest posts