What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

getsmarty

Immortal
‘It’s not a cap, it’s a sombrero!’: Crowe breaks silence on Suaalii with thinly-veiled Roosters swipe
NRL Premiership
mark_st_john.jpg

f60643ac5021e3f4578ab8c1f80171e4

South Sydney owner Russell Crowe has broken his silence on Joseph Suaalii's defection to the RoostersSource: FOX SPORTS
Souths’ owner Russell Crowe has broken his silence on teenage superstar Joseph Suaalii’s defection to arch rivals the Roosters on a deal worth the same money he was on at Souths.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported the Hollywood mega star was confused why the 17-year-old decided to accept a similar offer at a rival club.

“Does it hurt? It’s a little perplexing, shall we say,” Crowe told The Sydney Morning Herald.

“I just hope Joseph is in a place where he’s comfortable and where he can play his best football.

“I think he’s a good kid. We’re not quite sure what the difference is between our dollars and somebody else’s dollars, because theoretically the figures are the same. Who knows?”

Suaalii was offered a contract extension worth $1.7 million at Souths, but the club ultimately baulked at his management’s attempts to put get-out clauses in his contract.

Crowe had Suaalii and his family up to his farm during the negotiation process, but denied having any direct involvement with contract talks for Suaalii or any other Souths’ player.

“He’s a great kid,” Crowe said.

“Met his mum and sister, they came up to the farm. But there’s a complete misunderstanding with what I do at the club.

“I have never negotiated a contract with the player at any time. The questions I ask are more about culture.

“They’re the conversations I have with players. When it comes down to the deal-making, I don’t have anything to do with it.”

Suaalii’s attempts to have get-out clauses inserted in his contract were seen as the final straw for Souths, before the prodigy was wooed by the Roosters and Trent Robinson, with Sonny Bill Williams also involved in the Tri-colours’ pitch.

Souths’ coach Wayne Bennett reportedly told sources close to him that the pursuit of Suaalii became “too hard”.

The Roosters accepted Suaalii’s contractual conditions in the hope that Robinson and the club’s culture could make it very difficult to leave after two seasons.

Crowe also addressed the standoff with captain Adam Reynolds who has only been offered a one-year deal.

“I can’t imagine Adam in a different jersey,” Crowe said.

“He’s a franchise player. But we went through the process of respecting our older players with career-crowning deals, and it didn’t work out so well. That was very tough. There was some residual cap pain with Greg. We lost GI but we couldn’t use that money to replace him with anyone. We’ve had the first conversation with Adam.

He then delivered a thinly-veiled swipe at bitter rivals Sydney Roosters when asked whether the Rabbitohs were competition favourites.

“For a start, we work to the salary cap, unlike other people who we won’t discuss. Those blokes who keep plucking magic players out of the sky. What’s the joke: it’s not a cap, it’s a sombrero, isn’t it?”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/c5f5cc020793045f2b5ce78b04af62db

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
View attachment 46332
It’s a bit long but good reading.

I just want to look into the whole argument of our recruitment and retention.

Now I'm by no means a fan of Millward (my uncle played reps with him when they were younger. He apparently was that kid that had the early growth spurt and used to bully everyone with his size on the field. But by the time the rest of the boys caught up growing, his over-inflated ego and inability to pass got the best of him and as it turns out was pretty average from all accounts) but when you look at the players we've lost over the past few years that everyone is jumping up and down about, can you truthfully say all except maybe James Graham have gone on to 'bigger and better things'?

Luc- one good trial
Frizz- ...Newcastle, need I say more?
Robson- 2nd-3rd string hooker
Host- got up against his old club
McInnes- ACL and out for the year
Aitken- if he gets better under browny I owe every single forum member a coke

I understand we haven't exactly set the world on fire with the players we've recruited but I must say I'm pleased to know the bulk of our exciting juniors are here for the foreseeable future. I'd rather us be whinging about a couple plodders than looking back in a few years time lamenting letting Sullivan or Ramsey go, pondering what could have been.

Dragon David

First Grade
It's not a cap, it's a crap. In all of the years that we have had a salary cap, there are several clubs who have managed honestly well and there have been others who have done dishonestly well and those who tried to be sneaky having been found out - some more seriously than others. I cannot recall if Souths have been caught out in the past, but I certainly haven't read anything that the Roosters have.

If they are the yardstick to show how to manage the cap, then why aren't we looking at their "model" and see what coloured bags they use? Red for higher payment, green for less etc?

We definitely should have gone for that White guy who wanted to buy into ownership of the joint venture instead of the Father and Son Gordons. I am sure that we would have secured better staff and players under him and even getting good players wanting to come rather than getting the rejects.

Gareth67

First Grade
I just want to look into the whole argument of our recruitment and retention.

Now I'm by no means a fan of Millward (my uncle played reps with him when they were younger. He apparently was that kid that had the early growth spurt and used to bully everyone with his size on the field. But by the time the rest of the boys caught up growing, his over-inflated ego and inability to pass got the best of him and as it turns out was pretty average from all accounts) but when you look at the players we've lost over the past few years that everyone is jumping up and down about, can you truthfully say all except maybe James Graham have gone on to 'bigger and better things'?

Luc- one good trial
Frizz- ...Newcastle, need I say more?
Robson- 2nd-3rd string hooker
Host- got up against his old club
McInnes- ACL and out for the year
Aitken- if he gets better under browny I owe every single forum member a coke

I understand we haven't exactly set the world on fire with the players we've recruited but I must say I'm pleased to know the bulk of our exciting juniors are here for the foreseeable future. I'd rather us be whinging about a couple plodders than looking back in a few years time lamenting letting Sullivan or Ramsey go, pondering what could have been.

I really believe that the Dragons success or lack off will depend upon young players such as Sullivan , the Fergai (?) brothers etc. having plenty of game time this year .

We are , like it or not , carrying a lot off dead wood in the team at present and the longer that those players underperform then the less are the chances of obtaining any type of success this season.

I do sincerely hope that Griffin swings that axe of his when the time arrives and replace those whom are not - cannot do the job at hand , with those who have the potential to do better .

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Our backline is no longer the problem because we have depth and a solution if bad form or injury occurs to anyone in the backline.

The main problems we have are in the forwards. I'm not sure how good our new forwards will end up being this season but I have a very strong feeling that we need a like for like replacement for Frizell and we also need at least one more hard nosed prop.

We need a TPA solution for the recruitment of Creighton from the Roosters to replace Frizell. Surely there must be a good tuff prop available somewhere in the world of rugby league.

Why don't you at the least, find that prop Millward.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Our backline is no longer the problem because we have depth and a solution if bad form or injury occurs to anyone in the backline.

The main problems we have are in the forwards. I'm not sure how good our new forwards will end up being this season but I have a very strong feeling that we need a like for like replacement for Frizell and we also need at least one more hard nosed prop.

We need a TPA solution for the recruitment of Creighton from the Roosters to replace Frizell. Surely there must be a good tuff prop available somewhere in the world of rugby league.

Why don't you at the least, find that prop Millward.

Possm, Possm, Possm.......you do realise it's not his job anymore......he's just a 'clerk' now. Haran is the one you should direct your angst to now.

Banjo2014

Juniors
St George Illawarra Dragons
Senior squad
Player Contracted seasons
Daniel Alvaro 2021 2022
Jack Bird 2021 2022
Eddie Blacker 2021
Billy Brittain 2021
Adam Clune 2021 2022
Jack de Belin 2021*
Matt Dufty 2021
Kaide Ellis 2021
Matthew Feagai 2021 2022
Max Feagai 2021 2022
Poasa Faamausili 2021 2022
Jackson Ford 2021 2022
Tyrell Fuimaono 2021
Ben Hunt 2021 2022 PO
Josh Kerr 2021 2022 2023
Blake Lawrie 2021 2022
Zachary Lomax 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 PO
Andrew McCullough 2021 2022 2023
Cameron McInnes 2021
Trent Merrin 2021
Corey Norman 2021
Jordan Pereira 2021
Cody Ramsey 2021 2022 2023 2024
Mikaele Ravalawa 2021 2022 2023 PO
Tariq Sims 2021 2022
Jayden Sullivan 2021 2022
Paul Vaughan 2021 PO
Brayden Wiliame 2021

Development contracts
Talatau Amone 2021 2022 2023
Hayden Lomax 2021
Shaun Sauni-Esau 2021 2022
Tyrell Sloan 2021 2022 2023

New faces
Poasa Faamausili (Roosters), Jack Bird (Broncos), Daniel Alvaro (Eels)

2021 losses
Tyson Frizell (Knights), Euan Aitken (Warriors), James Graham (St Helens), Jacob Host (Rabbitohs), Korbin Sims (Hull KR), Jason Saab (Sea Eagles), Joe Lovodua, Tristan Sailor (released)

2022 losses
Cameron McInnes (Sharks)

boardlumps62

Juniors
Yes seen this question is are we strong enough.
You know if I was coach and know that other teams are bigger I would have to have another plan.
Do you remember the bash em up the middle coach from last year well he ain't with us anymore.

epDragon62

First Grade
J Hunt is an interesting omission based on the general vibe about him. So, is there a negotiation or an alternative?

Reactions: jak

Coffs dragon

Bench
St George Illawarra Dragons
Senior squad
Daniel Alvaro 2021 2022
Jack Bird 2021 2022
Eddie Blacker 2021
Billy Brittain 2021
Adam Clune 2021 2022
Jack de Belin 2021*
Matt Dufty 2021
Kaide Ellis 2021
Matthew Feagai 2021 2022
Max Feagai 2021 2022
Poasa Faamausili 2021 2022
Jackson Ford 2021 2022
Tyrell Fuimaono 2021
Ben Hunt 2021 2022 PO
Josh Kerr 2021 2022 2023
Blake Lawrie 2021 2022
Zachary Lomax 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025 PO
Andrew McCullough 2021 2022 2023
Cameron McInnes 2021
Trent Merrin 2021
Corey Norman 2021
Jordan Pereira 2021
Cody Ramsey 2021 2022 2023 2024
Mikaele Ravalawa 2021 2022 2023 PO
Tariq Sims 2021 2022
Jayden Sullivan 2021 2022
Paul Vaughan 2021 PO
Brayden Wiliame 2021

Development contracts
Talatau Amone 2021 2022 2023
Hayden Lomax 2021
Shaun Sauni-Esau 2021 2022
Tyrell Sloan 2021 2022 2023

New faces
Poasa Faamausili (Roosters), Jack Bird (Broncos), Daniel Alvaro (Eels)

2021 losses
Tyson Frizell (Knights), Euan Aitken (Warriors), James Graham (St Helens), Jacob Host (Rabbitohs), Korbin Sims (Hull KR), Jason Saab (Sea Eagles), Joe Lovodua, Tristan Sailor (released)

2022 losses
Cameron McInnes (Sharks)
With the exception of maybe half a dozen players, sadly that squad will end the coaching career and aspirations of Anthony Griffin.
No Leader, poor spine & piss weak pack. It will take a coaching miracle by Hook & associates to avoid the cellar.

Dragon David

First Grade
With the exception of maybe half a dozen players, sadly that squad will end the coaching career and aspirations of Anthony Griffin.
No Leader, poor spine & piss weak pack. It will take a coaching miracle by Hook & associates to avoid the cellar.
The spine is not too bad, if they fire and thats a big if. The pack, well enough said. They certainly won't be the envy of the other clubs, that's for sure.

Gareth67

First Grade
I find it extremely curious that the NRL has allowed the Dragons to include DeBelin in their 28 playing squad, even with the 'pending' registration attached to it.

Yes I was thinking the same , a perfect example of ‘ having your cake and eating it too ‘ for the NRL that is .