What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

Incorrect

Coach
going and check what Cronk, Gutho, Thurston, Mahoney, Munster etc etc etc career / ability was like at 20 and what playing making skills they had.....Drown is probably in front of all of them in terms of performances at 20.....
Yeah, I'm not going to do that... I'll keep watching what's in front of me and people have been talking Dylan up for 2-3 years but I see a stock, Pearce type half with no long kicking game. I have a mate who coached him in juniors and raved about him but I'm not quite seeing the output on the hype. Great defender, and yeah, still young and I hope leaps to the next level for sure. But I honestly think he's a way off. Again, the likes of Gronky bag the f**k out of Cleary who is only 2 years older but Dylan is no where near as good (or bad?) as Cleary....

Yeah, I'm not going to do that... I'll keep watching what's in front of me and people have been talking Dylan up for 2-3 years but I see a stock, Pearce type half with no long kicking game. I have a mate who coached him in juniors and raved about him but I'm not quite seeing the output on the hype. Great defender, and yeah, still young and I hope leaps to the next level for sure. But I honestly think he's a way off. Again, the likes of Gronky bag the f**k out of Cleary who is only 2 years older but Dylan is no where near as good (or bad?) as Cleary....
Yeah I'm not convinced either. In fact I may be crazy but I think he might make a better hooker than a half. Assuming he can actually pass left to right.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Cleary is closer to three years older than two.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Well maybe it's footwork. His running game just doesn't seem to threaten defences like you'd think.

Munster is probably one of better running halves in the comp but Drown has better stats in 2020....

Munster average per game - 11 runs , 95m 2.6 tackle breaks 0.4 line breaks

Drown 12 runs, 116m , 3.1 tb, 0.6 lb

Drown potentially has a better running game compared to the Australian 5/8

Also just to add 4 tries each, Drown defends at 95% 5 TA, Munster at 87% 8 TA

I know we do over rate our juniors at times, but I think Drown is underrated by a few fans considering he is still 20.

lucablight

First Grade
I think his best position would be fullback. I also suspect Gutherson would be best in the halves.
Gutherson was pretty poor when he played five eighth. Doesn’t have the kicking game and his passing game can be suspect (although he is very good at finishing off backline movements to put the winger over). His main strength is scooting out of dummy half against lazy markers, kick returns and just high effort plays in general. I don’t see how he could do those things better at five eighth. What makes you think he’d be better in the halves than at fullback?

Gronk

Staff member
From a website called “Serious about Rugby League”

Six contenders to be Australia captain at the 2021 World Cup

Here are six possible candidates to take on the job.

blah blah blah

Clint Gutherson – Captain of the Parramatta Eels

Clint Gutherson is affectionately known as ‘King Gutho’ by the ‘Parradise’ (fans of the Eels) and it is clear to see why. The start of the season was a slow burner for him, but when Mitchell Moses suffered an injury meaning he was out for a number of weeks, Gutherson stepped up to the mark and gave a better performance for the Eels for the rest of the season than Moses did. In fact, when Moses came back on the field, the Eels started to lose ground. (Hopefully that problem has been addressed by coach Brad Arthur for this season). Gutherson was the lynchpin in the success of the Eels last season and will continue to be so in the upcoming one. He is always one to lead by example, often making the break and pass to whoever is Parramatta’s resulting try scorer. As Australian captain, Gutherson would unquestionably be a success, which begs the question why he wasn’t made skipper of the Blues in the 2020 Origin after Cordner? Another question for another time maybe.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/six-contenders-to-be-australia-captain-at-the-world-cup-2021-37340/

TheRam

Coach
I expect Brown's game to improve markedly(in particular passing) this season, otherwise we may have another solid to good running/defending half but not an out and out star.

This is where he needs to improve considerably. His passing game is very ordinary at times and lacks the vision and timing to setup the players around him, even at times when it is simple draw and pass scenarios.

But he is young so I have to temper my comments with patience. But I hope we see better results in this area of his game. It needs to keep evolving or he could end up just a solid running/tackling player, which is not what most of us want for him.

On the positive side, I have seen him deliver wonderful passes in the lower grades and that he is young, so maybe it is just time and fan patience is all.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Gutherson was pretty poor when he played five eighth. Doesn’t have the kicking game and his passing game can be suspect (although he is very good at finishing off backline movements to put the winger over). His main strength is scooting out of dummy half against lazy markers, kick returns and just high effort plays in general. I don’t see how he could do those things better at five eighth. What makes you think he’d be better in the halves than at fullback?

He had only had 25 or so NRL games last time he played 5/8. He was still a rookie but has slowly developed his skills over the last few years. He was hardly a ball playing fullback when he first started but now he is one of the better ones.

He is big enough, defensively pretty good, has some decent ball playing skills now. And while his kicking game is limited (he hasn’t really had to have one), I reckon he could easily develop one (he works hard off the field / good trainer) to be the number 2 general play kicker

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
His playmaking has improved significantly, plus his front on defence is wasted at fullback and his running game isn't good enough to threaten on kick returns. He would still need to be paired with a dominant kicker in the halves, but we have one of those anyway.

I think he could continue to play his current role in attack. I just think we could do with a better kick return option at the back.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
His playmaking has improved significantly, plus his front on defence is wasted at fullback and his running game isn't good enough to threaten on kick returns. He would still need to be paired with a dominant kicker in the halves, but we have one of those anyway.

I think he could continue to play his current role in attack. I just think we could do with a better kick return option at the back.

I wonder if we'll eventually go the way of the cowboys' 2015 attacking strategy with our 1,6,7? Have the main playmaker as first receiver and split the field with the fullback and other half. I'm not sure if we have the halves to do it, maybe once he gains more experience Dylan could be that main playmaker?

lucablight

First Grade

He lead the NRL in kick return metres last year. Most of his passes to put Sivo over tended to be from set plays rather than having vision to create the line break. If he’s expected to be the playmaker it also negates his biggest strength which is his running from dummy half.