What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Blade23

Juniors
There is no suggestion whatsoever that Burton isn't training hard and 100% committed to the Panthers in 2021. Luai had to wait for his chance and took it with both hands. Luai is an integral part of the Panthers. Burton as a backup for the halves has a value above what he is being paid, and more importantly what he costs under the cap. Hard to see how the Bulldogs could compensate us adequately without leaving a gaping hole in their team,.

He is training hard and more importantly his attitude at training is as good as anyone else at the club.

Girds89

Bench
He is training hard and more importantly his attitude at training is as good as anyone else at the club.

Blade, all your comments very much reflect that you are involved at the club in some way, or that you are extremely close with someone that has an intimate knowledge of the daily grind.

Not Matt Cameron in disguise?

maple_69

Bench
Reynolds was a Steelers junior who came to the Bulldogs at 17, but it took a few years before he was first grade ready. Anasta came to the club from the Rabbitohs system first grade ready, and Thurston came down from Queensland playing for nothing to get an oppotunity, and was in first grade the following year. They lucked upon Sherwin though, he came through their system and was highly instrumental in their last premiership win.

Yeah for sure, most of those guys weren’t Canterbury juniors but they at least took unrealised potential and turned them into very good halves (at their respective peaks) which is their task with Flanagan and Burton. Not a good resume to be sure.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
So Laurie Daley said on the Big Breakfast earlier this week, that Burton will be at the Dogs in Rnd3.

how Loz would know that, I have no clue, but he said it.

Kilkenny

Coach
Given we have 28 tier 1 players now confirmed as listed on our main web site has it actually been confirmed who our development players are? Turuva obviously one but is it confirmed who the others are.

franklin2323

Immortal
Given we have 28 tier 1 players now confirmed as listed on our main web site has it actually been confirmed who our development players are? Turuva obviously one but is it confirmed who the others are.

Harris, Hands and Turuva

May and Tago jumped them in the pecking order. Hopgood went from Development Squad to full time

Kilkenny

Coach
So Laurie Daley said on the Big Breakfast earlier this week, that Burton will be at the Dogs in Rnd3.

how Loz would know that, I have no clue, but he said it.

We play the dogs in Round 2. There remains a little mail around us being offered a player swap which may involve Chris Smith returning to the Panthers. I don’t think we would consider it a an even swap but it has been proposed apparently.

No idea of the credibility or otherwise but I was sitting next to the parents of a player playing for Mounties at our NSW Cup trial at St Mary’s. They were adamant a player swap involving Chris Smith and Matt Burton was a distinct possibility.

Last edited:

Smug Panther

First Grade
We play the dogs in Round 2. There remains a little mail around us being offered a player swap which may involve Chris Smith returning to the Panthers. I don’t think we would consider it a an even swap but it has been proposed apparently.

No idea of the credibility or otherwise but I was sitting next to the parents of a player playing for Mounties at our NSW Cup trial at St Mary’s. They were adamant a player swap involving Chris Smith and Matt Burton was a distinct possibility.
Smith goes ok but that swap does nothing for us

MugaB

Coach
Smith goes ok but that swap does nothing for us
I brought this up about a month ago, getting a swap for Chris Smith and Brandon Wakem for one Matt Burton,

That covers burtons loss as our back up halfback and gains smith for another middle

I don't mind that idea, but it cannot just be a straight swap smith for burton, needs to be a bit more than that

Luke Bowden

First Grade

I’ve always liked Smith, but he’s definitely not what we need.

betcats

Referee
We have Naden out four weeks and they have Luke Thompson out four weeks, I think if any swap happens it will be after then, if it happens. They couldn’t give up a middle forward while Thompson is suspended they don’t have the depth.

MugaB

Coach
We have Naden out four weeks and they have Luke Thompson out four weeks, I think if any swap happens it will be after then, if it happens. They couldn’t give up a middle forward while Thompson is suspended they don’t have the depth.
The dogs wouldn't care, as long as we don't ruin burtons career in the meantime

hindy111

Post Whore
Looking at the NSW cup squads Panthers seem to have the most experienced guys who have played NRL. Its easy to say you lack depth but perhaps look at what other sides have in the bank.

franklin2323

Immortal
Looking at the NSW cup squads Panthers seem to have the most experienced guys who have played NRL. Its easy to say you lack depth but perhaps look at what other sides have in the bank.

With anything like this you need to look at the rest of the comp. the comp as a whole is getting younger. Lots of older guys going

Nealo 12

Bench
I saw that, we have very good depth in lower grades compared to other clubs .
All goes well for another successful season.

Kilkenny

Coach
I’ve always liked Smith, but he’s definitely not what we need.

Not suggesting he is or was, it was just an interesting conversation from a Bulldogs players family who seemed convinced Burton would be at the Dogs this season. I didn’t really think one way or the other at the time, I only posted our conversation after I read someone say Laurie Daley suggest on BSB Burton would be at the Dogs after round 3.