What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Perth Red

Post Whore
“I’ll tell you who did better [out of the NRL and AFL] over three years because let’s just see how their accounts are next year.“- Vlandys from above report

Haha the irony seeing as how he has buried the nrls numbers in the annual report to avoid accountability and public comparison between the two codes deals!

Last edited:

Brick Tamland

Juniors
Keep singing from the song sheet boys lol
there’s a reason the figures have been buried in the accounts.

not sure the report figures are right re reduction, yes less rounds but no bye affected rounds last year so overall games less than what he has quoted I think? Will add it up one day if I can be bothered! As for the rest of it where’s the figures? What is the discount for year 2&3 for each code he talks about? Just more heresay because the nrl won’t tell us what deal they’ve done.
I think Weidler is mixing himself up which confuses the message a bit, but i think he's close to the money.

The lack of split round actually robbed Ch 9 of an extra 3 games - usually the split round would see it televise a total of 6 games ( 2 Thur, 2, Fri, 2 Sun) up from their usual 3 in every round.

They also missed out on the additional Good Friday arvo and ANZAC Day arvo games they get in addition to the regular 3 per round.

I'm guessing they also argued for a reduction given the loss of these 'Event' games (and also Magic Rd) that would ordinarily rate higher?

colly

Juniors
& there it is :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:
It it's like Mr red
“I’ll tell you who did better [out of the NRL and AFL] over three years because let’s just see how their accounts are next year.“- Vlandys from above report

Haha the irony seeing as how he has buried the nrls numbers in the annual report to avoid accountability and public comparison between the two codes deals!

OK Mr Red lets look at YOUR very wonderful afl figures for 2020. Come on show us the accounts. Since you made a song and dance about NRL concealing lets look at AFL accounts - What did they get from Foxtel and seven in 2020-- waiting- waiting- waiting- waiting- Something official like signed off by Auditors not AFL pie in the sky statements or false figures like saying the afl will get from media partners in 2023-2024, Foxtel Seven $976 million over two years -which is provable untrue.
I know your not going to put a proper financial statement from the AFL ( THEY MUST BE HIDING SOMETHING) because they didn't put it out.

https://www.afl.com.au/annual-reports
No use looking ( above ) for 2020, cause it's not their.
So what are the AFL hiding?????????
The AFL knew they could rely on people like you to parrot false figures or fool people like Rugged Roy and Masters who don't even question them like, what did they get in 2020 from the media - with proper evidence not AFL PR statements.( they must be hiding something )

Last edited:

tri_colours

Juniors
Keep singing from the song sheet boys lol
there’s a reason the figures have been buried in the accounts.

not sure the report figures are right re reduction, yes less rounds but no bye affected rounds last year so overall games less than what he has quoted I think? Will add it up one day if I can be bothered! As for the rest of it where’s the figures? What is the discount for year 2&3 for each code he talks about? Just more heresay because the nrl won’t tell us what deal they’ve done.

C7 had AFL coverage on7 nights a weeks, on several occasions . That would have to be worth something.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think Weidler is mixing himself up which confuses the message a bit, but i think he's close to the money.

The lack of split round actually robbed Ch 9 of an extra 3 games - usually the split round would see it televise a total of 6 games ( 2 Thur, 2, Fri, 2 Sun) up from their usual 3 in every round.

They also missed out on the additional Good Friday arvo and ANZAC Day arvo games they get in addition to the regular 3 per round.

I'm guessing they also argued for a reduction given the loss of these 'Event' games (and also Magic Rd) that would ordinarily rate higher?
It it's like Mr red

OK Mr Red lets look at YOUR very wonderful afl figures for 2020. Come on show us the accounts. Since you made a song and dance about NRL concealing lets look at AFL accounts - What did they get from Foxtel and seven in 2020-- waiting- waiting- waiting- waiting- Something official like signed off by Auditors not AFL pie in the sky statements or false figures like saying the afl will get from media partners in 2023-2024, Foxtel Seven $976 million over two years -which is provable untrue.
I know your not going to put a proper financial statement from the AFL ( THEY MUST BE HIDING SOMETHING) because they didn't put it out.

https://www.afl.com.au/annual-reports
No use looking ( above ) for 2020, cause it's not their.
So what are the AFL hiding?????????
The AFL knew they could rely on people like you to parrot false figures or fool people like Rugged Roy and Masters who don't even question them like, what did they get in 2020 from the media - with proper evidence not AFL PR statements.( they must be hiding something )

lol, let’s see if they’ve hidden the figures as well when their annual report is published before going on such a rant :)

Perth Red

Post Whore
No reason that discount couldn't be spread over a couple of seasons. So you don't get slammed in one season

which is what’s happened though reports would suggest nrl took a bigger hit in year 1 than afl. All supposition at this point though and we’ll probably never know as vlandys has hidden the deal.

colly

Juniors
Well Roy really drank the AFL cool aid this time. First Roy says the Afl get $946m for two years 2023 and 2024 or $473 per year. Just to show how far off this is Roy, if this one year deal of $476m over six years like their old deal over six years would equal 2.8 billion dollars. 2.8 billion dollars, your got to be joking. I am afraid Roy isn't. It was just a note in the accounts not officially in the accounts and put their to fool you Roy, which it did. ( and by the way AFL 2020, haven't been publicly released yet) Sometimes Roy acts like controlled opposition just to make himself and his prejudices ( yes I know well all have them ) agreeable to ABC INSIDERS.

ROY -The AFL gained extensions with both its broadcasters, Seven and Foxtel, delivering $946 million over 2023-24, or an average of $473 million per year. SMH 2/03/21 Roy.

Just for Roy again, Telstra announced that they won't renew their 300m/ 50 yearly payment to the AFL, so no $ money for the AFL in the 2023 and 2024 ( $946 over two years OR 476 yearly supposedly money.
Lets crack it open now
Telstra = zero dolars
Seven = 150m per year (2023 and 20240 as supplied by Perth red and the age newspaper.
Foxtel= 200m per year (slight increase on previous deal was 183m per year) (1)
Total= 350. where is the 123m per year- not f**king their Roy.

In regards to the NRL one must calculate the repayment of $100 million ADVANCE to the media, NIne and Foxtel. It would be the business deal of millium if the NRL did not 'pay back this money. It's stated that Advance payback will be by reduced payments of the contractual amounts that the media pay to the NRL. So any discussion of how much the NRL get or don't get MUST take into account that this year accounts have within them probably the final 'payback' or reduced media revenue of $50m to $60 million dollars. So all light of the Advance of 100m the rest of Roys calculations are plainly wrong so I can't be bothered to address them.

(1) https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...adcast-deal-by-two-years-20201223-p56prx.html

"The telco giant and pay TV company Foxtel announced on Tuesday a new agreement which will see Kayo replace live streaming on Telstra’s AFL and NRL apps. The announcement, flagged in The Sydney Morning Herald last week, means the telco is effectively withdrawing from funding sports rights directly and the ‘Live Pass’ component of some apps will cease." End of quote SMH 2/2/21
https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...in-sports-strategy-shift-20210202-p56ysc.html

Remember when Vlandy said it's complicated the AFL were getting a lot of money from Telstra - Now (soon) they don't.

Direct quote that says Telstra withdrawing from funding sports rights directly. It sad I once worked from them, they have lost it ( Telstra) pay for digital rights ie 300m, 50m a year and then pooof- no more and during the coronavirus they didn't have the balls to ask for a discount or even better cancel the rest ( 3 years) contract, worth 150m , they just give it away. No wonder the NRL has trouble ( but who knows- we are very close now ) keeping up when company directors just throw money away. (to afl) So when Telstra comes up with a new personnel retrenchment plan , I hope the workers say what about the money you pissed up against the wall on the AFL.

Cactus

Juniors

Unless you have direct knowledge of what PVLs intentions were/are then you have no basis on which to conclude why the numbers are not disclosed or that he is avoiding accountability or comparisons.

There could well be specific reasons including negotiation tactics, commercial strategies, leveraging of position etc.

Why don't we all drop the conspiracy theory playbook and admit we dont have direct knowledge & we will see when more information comes to light.

taipan

Referee
which is what’s happened though reports would suggest nrl took a bigger hit in year 1 than afl. All supposition at this point though and we’ll probably never know as vlandys has hidden the deal.

That needs to allow for cancelling some of the extra offerings that the NRL has, compared to the AFL.And the extra Tv revenue AFL gets due to 4 qtrs, else it's p*ssing against the wind.
It's comparing apples with oranges, not like for like.

Going off half cocked ,when the full details are not either laid out or the end result is made ,achieves nothing.Pure assumptions ,and speculating, which journos like to do and invariably they f*ck up ,and never seem to admit they have after the event.
They provide a story and get paid for it, and the BS caravan moves on.
Trust in the media is at politicians' level.

Last edited:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
NRL TV rights: Free-to-air networks queue up for slice of rugby league

In an unprecedented move, the NRL is considering a new TV rights model that is set to spark a major bidding war.

In an unprecedented move, the NRL is considering carving up the rugby league season program and engaging up to three free-to-air networks to televise rugby league matches in the next broadcast deal.

And the development, similar to that employed by the American NFL, has been met with immediate and united support from NRL club chief executives.

The ARL Commission is considering mixing up the rugby league landscape with rival networks to bid for NRL games, State of Origin, finals and the grand final.

With different games showing on separate free-to-air carriers, there is a chance that games could soon be telecast on Nine, Seven and Ten.

If the model is implemented, Channel 9’s longstanding monopoly over rugby league would end.

ARLC chairman Peter V’Landys revealed on Sunday that rugby league had “substantial interest” from multiple free-to-air stations.

While Fox Sports has five years left on its deal, the current free-to-air TV deal expires after next season with the NRL having already started top-level discussions with all networks.

“Peter, Andrew (Abdo, NRL CEO) and the commission will be trusted with achieving the best financial outcome for the sport,” said Souths CEO, Blake Solly. “But outside the best financial deal possible, I think there would be other benefits in having two or three FTA broadcasters.

“As rights holders they would immediately be invested in promoting the NRL, players and clubs to the biggest possible audience and this would help the sport keep and find new fans.
“The more broadcasters and outlets supporting the growth of the NRL competition and rugby league, the better for mine”.

Raiders CEO Don Furner added: “The more free-to-air coverage, the better for the game, particularly in other states. One-hundred per cent of people have free-to-air.

“It’s no wonder there is interest. Our game is fantastic to watch, it’s a fantastic TV product. We have faith in Peter maximising the best deal for the game.”

V’landys told The Big Sports Breakfast Weekend on Sky Sports Radio he was interested in sharing rugby league around the FTA channels.

“For the first time we have actually got substantial interest from other TV stations. Rugby league is in a good position to get a very good deal,” he said.

“That is one option to us – you might have two free-to-airs broadcasters. You may have three free-to-air broadcasters on different days on different nights – State of Origin, grand final, semi-finals. You can split them up into different packages.

“I have just been studying the NFL deal and they have about six or seven partners that do specific games. I can’t see why we can’t do that here. Exclusivity is going to be a lot more expensive this time around, being able to provide it to a number of parties.”

Asked would Australia have enough stations interested in covering NRL, V’landys said: “I believe so and each network has expressed interest.

“At the moment, because of the competition that the free-to-air channels have, they really do rely on news, sport and reality shows. You have Stan and Netflix that provide all the other dramas and comedies so the free-to-air, they have to attract people by their news, sport and reality and sport is very, very high on that list.

“That is why the free-to-air stations will certainly be interested is us because we are a rare commodity. I want to stress the people I want to look after are the fans and to make sure the fans have every opportunity to access rugby league.

“The free-to-air deal, not only is it financially beneficial to us but it’s also provides eyeballs. Free-to-air goes to every home whereas Foxtel goes to 27, 28 per cent of the market.

“So, for us, it’s very important for us to enable rugby league to be watched by as many people as possible.”

A number of senior rugby league figures have been shocked by Nine’s relentless push to promote the ratings-challenged rugby union on Stan while virtually ignoring any ads promoting the start of NRL season.

The Sunday Telegraph reported that Channel 7 boss James Warburton has also told network employees of a plan to axe cricket, prompting speculation his station wants NRL.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...e/news-story/66c736e64728ad997ccace13de3cc7cd

MugaB

Coach

In an unprecedented move, the NRL is considering a new TV rights model that is set to spark a major bidding war.

In an unprecedented move, the NRL is considering carving up the rugby league season program and engaging up to three free-to-air networks to televise rugby league matches in the next broadcast deal.

And the development, similar to that employed by the American NFL, has been met with immediate and united support from NRL club chief executives.

The ARL Commission is considering mixing up the rugby league landscape with rival networks to bid for NRL games, State of Origin, finals and the grand final.

With different games showing on separate free-to-air carriers, there is a chance that games could soon be telecast on Nine, Seven and Ten.

If the model is implemented, Channel 9’s longstanding monopoly over rugby league would end.

ARLC chairman Peter V’Landys revealed on Sunday that rugby league had “substantial interest” from multiple free-to-air stations.

While Fox Sports has five years left on its deal, the current free-to-air TV deal expires after next season with the NRL having already started top-level discussions with all networks.

“Peter, Andrew (Abdo, NRL CEO) and the commission will be trusted with achieving the best financial outcome for the sport,” said Souths CEO, Blake Solly. “But outside the best financial deal possible, I think there would be other benefits in having two or three FTA broadcasters.

“As rights holders they would immediately be invested in promoting the NRL, players and clubs to the biggest possible audience and this would help the sport keep and find new fans.
“The more broadcasters and outlets supporting the growth of the NRL competition and rugby league, the better for mine”.

Raiders CEO Don Furner added: “The more free-to-air coverage, the better for the game, particularly in other states. One-hundred per cent of people have free-to-air.

“It’s no wonder there is interest. Our game is fantastic to watch, it’s a fantastic TV product. We have faith in Peter maximising the best deal for the game.”

V’landys told The Big Sports Breakfast Weekend on Sky Sports Radio he was interested in sharing rugby league around the FTA channels.

“For the first time we have actually got substantial interest from other TV stations. Rugby league is in a good position to get a very good deal,” he said.

“That is one option to us – you might have two free-to-airs broadcasters. You may have three free-to-air broadcasters on different days on different nights – State of Origin, grand final, semi-finals. You can split them up into different packages.

“I have just been studying the NFL deal and they have about six or seven partners that do specific games. I can’t see why we can’t do that here. Exclusivity is going to be a lot more expensive this time around, being able to provide it to a number of parties.”

Asked would Australia have enough stations interested in covering NRL, V’landys said: “I believe so and each network has expressed interest.

“At the moment, because of the competition that the free-to-air channels have, they really do rely on news, sport and reality shows. You have Stan and Netflix that provide all the other dramas and comedies so the free-to-air, they have to attract people by their news, sport and reality and sport is very, very high on that list.

“That is why the free-to-air stations will certainly be interested is us because we are a rare commodity. I want to stress the people I want to look after are the fans and to make sure the fans have every opportunity to access rugby league.

“The free-to-air deal, not only is it financially beneficial to us but it’s also provides eyeballs. Free-to-air goes to every home whereas Foxtel goes to 27, 28 per cent of the market.

“So, for us, it’s very important for us to enable rugby league to be watched by as many people as possible.”

A number of senior rugby league figures have been shocked by Nine’s relentless push to promote the ratings-challenged rugby union on Stan while virtually ignoring any ads promoting the start of NRL season.

The Sunday Telegraph reported that Channel 7 boss James Warburton has also told network employees of a plan to axe cricket, prompting speculation his station wants NRL.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...e/news-story/66c736e64728ad997ccace13de3cc7cd
Great news, hopefully if they get split over a few different channels, we might get better presenters, than nines coverage, i remember last world cup was pretty good on channel 7.
Also i'd be trying to get the Qld & Nsw cup on another seperate channel, and all the major events like GF and SoO on another, really make a bidding war of it, if channel 9 wasn't acting like a bitch last year the way they did, almost dropping the whole season, this probably wouldn't have happened, well done ARLC for playing the long game, even if this is just a scare tactic to increase CH9s negotiations

So let me get this straight .
PVL has stated that the NRL took a big hit in yr 1 of an extended 3 yr deal with a smaller reduction for the other 2.
Apprently the AFl spread the hit evenly over 3 years .
So instead of comparing at the end of the 3 yrs which code got the better deal .
The resident AFl/GIl cheerleader only looks at 2020.
Wow I'm shocked .lol lol lol
It suits his anti PVL agenda .

colly

Juniors

Keep this stuff coming. By the way did you see my proposal to have a 'new comp' in Qld made up of "easts, ipswtich, Redcliffe, Broncos< NTH Q, GC Res/ and others ie Rocky, Mackay, to play before NRL home games (extra content) with this comp, selectivity (1 or 2 games per team per season playing Full NRL teams with a spot in the NRL finals for the comp winner ( around 8-5th place) How say you? Repeat for NSW too. A true 2nd/ under reserve of new name comp, or what ever name you call it. Thats a real good use of $10m salary cap money which would have gone to Brisbane 2. It's semi pro with capped players payment at 20k

Last edited:

Thank you for posting this.